Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: silencers on springers

silencers on springers

Do silencers really make much difference on a springer.was just wondering as your still going to hear the spring and piston crack
    Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Quote Originally Posted by paul01 View Post
    Do silencers really make much difference on a springer.
    On an ultra-carbine, yes - on a standard length barrel, probably not a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    On an ultra-carbine, yes - on a standard length barrel, probably not a lot...
    cheers mate
    Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    More effective on a PSP certainly and to a point, effective on a spring gun but yes, the action is still pretty audible.
    Basically for hunting then yes, use one, downrange "at the quarry end" the sound is not as loud and they provide a good grip when cocking the rifle.

There are many "technicalities" and I'm sure the Guys on here will be able to provide the details !
    “An airgun or two”………

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Yes they do make a difference.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Definitely

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Not as effective as on a PCP but as well as deadening the sound of the shot they are going to add weight to the barrel.

As all sound comes from vibration, weight up front on the end of the barrel should also provide a bit of dampening to the mechnical noise. More energy is required to move the extra weight so less energy is converted to sound. Might not be audible, or even measurable but it should happen. Because physics.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Yes they do make a difference.

Pete
    Indeed.

Down range the difference is obvious.

As pointed out up above, when shooting the rifle, if the internals are noisy you may not notice much difference as noise will be transmitted as vibes and resonance.

However, with nicely tuned / damped internals, you will notice a huge difference. Three rifles which I have shot recently really highlighted this.....Kieran Turner's LGV, Clez's HW95 and Luke Jolly's 95. All tuned and with a HW mod. Absolutely lovely. And there'll be many more just like those......
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by paul01 View Post
    Do silencers really make much difference on a springer.was just wondering as your still going to hear the spring and piston crack
    Try hunting without one, you'll soon answer your own question
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    As all sound comes from vibration
    If you by this means that all sound from a springer comes from vibration, you are definately wrong

Some springers have quite fierce muzzle blast, even at 10fpe..

Just to add my 10cents worth. I've found that there isn't a huge difference for the shooter as most of the noise is fron the spring, but downrange there is a noticeable change in how the gun sounds and is certainly a little quieter. On a pcp though that's a different story the difference is phonomenal!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    If you by this means that all sound from a springer comes from vibration, you are definately wrong

Some springers have quite fierce muzzle blast, even at 10fpe..
    yes you should here my Woodsman carbine without a mod, it goose off with one hell of a crack.

I have a .177 Venom Lazaglide HW80 with silencer extension to the barrel, and that is certainly effective.

I just made a barrel extension for my HW97. 300mm, 18mm ID. I fitted it with baffles made from 18mm OD, 12mm ID steel tube.

I works really well as a silencer too. That was not the intended use, but it really dampens the muzzle blast.

When you shoot it there is not so much difference in sound, but that is because the spring and mechanics makes quite some noise
    when you are close to the gun. The muzzle blast however is totally gone. If you are at some distance from the gun it will have a decent
    effect!
    Wanted part new/used: Model 65, 80, 90 part 1600.178.1 Führungsachse, hinten ø 4,615 Guide axle, rear, ø 4,615

I have a full shroud / silencer on my LGU. THe noise of the action is still there but downrange it obviously makes a difference as I have to shout or throw things to clear birds off my targets while I am shooting!!
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles