Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: silencers on springers

I think a heavy silencer also helps to calm down the muzzle flail when firing.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    If you by this means that all sound from a springer comes from vibration, you are definately wrong

Some springers have quite fierce muzzle blast, even at 10fpe..
    No I mean that ALL sound comes from vibration.

To quote wiki :

In physics, sound is a vibration that propagates as a typically audible mechanical wave of pressure and displacement, through a medium such as air or water. In physiology and psychology, sound is the reception of such waves and their perception by the brain
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    I think a heavy silencer also helps to calm down the muzzle flail when firing.
    It definitely does. When I attached my contraption, it definitely steadied the gun a lot. This one weighs in at close to a 1/2kg.
    I got some of my best groups ever with it on
    Wanted part new/used: Model 65, 80, 90 part 1600.178.1 Führungsachse, hinten ø 4,615 Guide axle, rear, ø 4,615

Cheers guys thanks for the info.
    Also im hearing more and more of people having ago at making home made silencers which I would fancy doing as abit of fun so do any of you guys have any links or blue prints to work with ??
    Im a mechanical engineer so have access to the right equipment if I could get hold of some plans.
    Yes I could just go and buy one but fancy doing it aa abit of fun.
    Cheers again lads
    Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by paul01 View Post
    Cheers guys thanks for the info.
    Also im hearing more and more of people having ago at making home made silencers which I would fancy doing as abit of fun so do any of you guys have any links or blue prints to work with ??
    Im a mechanical engineer so have access to the right equipment if I could get hold of some plans.
    Yes I could just go and buy one but fancy doing it aa abit of fun.
    Cheers again lads
    Good Luck Paul !
    “An airgun or two”………

Yes they make a difference. I can't hear any muzzle blast from my silenced springer.

If you are making one then the bigger the better.
    Best way of fixing them to the barrel is at the end and also down the barrel like a reflex silencer.
    Bo't use them as a cocking aid. Any movement will shift the point of impact.
    Easiest way of getting the body and end caps is to buy a cheap one and bin the insides.

Paul01, just type Airgun silencers into your computer and look at images there are a few plans and blue prints , enough to give you the general idea.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by neil180 View Post
    I have a full shroud / silencer on my LGU. THe noise of the action is still there but downrange it obviously makes a difference as I have to shout or throw things to clear birds off my targets while I am shooting!!
    Try shooting an RWS superdome or hobby in the general direction - the noise they make through the air should scare them off
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Waisted View Post
    Paul01, just type Airgun silencers into your computer and look at images there are a few plans and blue prints , enough to give you the general idea.
    Have done now mate there is some good bits of information aswell.I will enjoy this little project
    Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

If you space baffles at regular intervals at the exit of the silencer you make a whistle. If the baffles are spaced very close together the whistle will be too high frequency to hear. Try a stack of M6 washers spaced with flattened 8mm spring washers. Fits in to a 12mm tube. Very qiuiet :-)

BB

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Yes they make a difference. I can't hear any muzzle blast from my silenced springer.

If you are making one then the bigger the better.
    Best way of fixing them to the barrel is at the end and also down the barrel like a reflex silencer.
    Bo't use them as a cocking aid. Any movement will shift the point of impact.
    Easiest way of getting the body and end caps is to buy a cheap one and bin the insides.
    dont know, mate of mine has a BSA rimmy with a silencer that looks like a castrol oil gallon can. i have BSA superstar with BSA in line silencer and mine is quieter. O/K the twang, but bggr all downrange.
    only thing i had to learn was my rifle was 3 inches longer.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Joybz View Post
    Just to add my 10cents worth. I've found that there isn't a huge difference for the shooter as most of the noise is fron the spring, but downrange there is a noticeable change in how the gun sounds and is certainly a little quieter.
    ^^This, a lot quieter downrange on my 99s happy to shoot full 24hrs in my back garden with a silencer, thought I was pushing it going to 2330hrs before