Thread: Webley Oil ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

Webley Oil ?

Very recently acquired a really beautiful Premier pistol off an esteemed member on here and I was wondering what type of oil to feed into the action through the oil nipple on top of the cylinder ?
    The instructions recommend "Webley Oil" but I reckon (could be wrong) that the original's no longer made ?

I have a good old tin of 3 in 1 but I wasnt going to risk it !
    “An airgun or two”………

The mineral 'Webley Oil' was SAE30 motor oil, available in small quantities, at a price, from Garden Machinery outlets, or you may be able to obtain 100ml or so from your local garage, if they still use it for 2/ mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    The mineral 'Webley Oil' was SAE30 motor oil, available in small quantities, at a price, from Garden Machinery outlets, or you may be able to obtain 100ml or so from your local garage, if they still use it for 2/ mix.
    Thanks for that, its off down the local garage then !
    “An airgun or two”………

I was once told that 3 in 1 would do, but decided not to use it; just seemed wrong.

If you google up SAE30 Motor Oil, John, there's plenty to be had on the 'net. And places like Machine Mart sell it.

I have often, in the past, used small amounts of engine oil on cocking link pins etc., and have seen it said that it's fine for these little pistols' internals, due to the lower pressures and temperatures achieved.

Any reason why a multi-grade couldn't be used?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I asked about this a long time ago when I was servicing garden machinery, and was told it's mainly because Multi-grade oils contain detergents and SAE30 does not, which is apparently better for many of the smaller engines used in garden machinery, particularly the older ones.
    I presume this is still valid, otherwise machinery manufacturers, such as Makita, wouldn't sell containers of SAE30, and I believe it's still used extensively for 2/ mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I asked about this a long time ago when I was servicing garden machinery, and was told it's mainly because Multi-grade oils contain detergents and SAE30 does not, which is apparently better for many of the smaller engines used in garden machinery, particularly the older ones.
    I presume this is still valid, otherwise machinery manufacturers, such as Makita, wouldn't sell containers of SAE30, and I believe it's still used extensively for 2/ mix.
    Thank you for that.

Nicely explained; cheers.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

SAE30 it is then and "Mazola" wont do !
    “An airgun or two”………