Thread: Holding a heavy rifle ...

Holding a heavy rifle ...

I used to shoot PCP's a few years back and nearly all way's shot from a tilt bipod
    the easy and lazy way. I now have a TX 200 HC that is a right lump, now the trouble is
    almost no matter how I hold it I can't keep the beggar still.

I can take a few shots at zeroing, and on a good day give a very good group at 25yrds,
    that is with using a bipod of shooting sticks, the method I use is placing a small bean
    bag on top of the intersection ( if you get my jist ) ...

It's almost impossible to use the sticks in the real world of shooting so any tips would be brill.

Silly thought, is drinking coffee a contributor.

If I use sticks I fit a "third leg" of thick string with a bit of wood tied on the end. Adjust the length so that with one foot on the wood you can push forward slightly, tensioning the string, and making it more stable fore and aft. As you say, some padding under the fore end helps.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

When shooting off hand with my Prosport at home I only do a few shots then have a rest (during the adverts on telly is enough for a few shots, then watch the program and rest).
    I zero my Prosport from the sitting position as its much less tiring.
    I have a Bsa XL Lightning which is my standing off hand shot practice springer, as it so light only a long intense practice session will tire me out.

If using the sticks can you tilt them slightly towards you?I always find grasping the the junction of the 2 sicks with a fist and resting the rifle between an upwards ponting thumb and horizontal finger really steady.Perhaps short sticks and shooting kneeling would gice you a more stable platform?
    Regards,Stu.

I always find with sticks you need to find just the right place to position them, it will be very close to where your fore hand is, in front of the point of balance but closer than the front sling mount.

Holding a heavy rifle

Quote Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
    I used to shoot PCP's a few years back and nearly all way's shot from a tilt bipod
    the easy and lazy way. I now have a TX 200 HC that is a right lump, now the trouble is
    almost no matter how I hold it I can't keep the beggar still.

I can take a few shots at zeroing, and on a good day give a very good group at 25yrds,
    that is with using a bipod of shooting sticks, the method I use is placing a small bean
    bag on top of the intersection ( if you get my jist ) ...

It's almost impossible to use the sticks in the real world of shooting so any tips would be brill.

Silly thought, is drinking coffee a contributor.
    Probably... it does increase the heart rate somewhat, I used to find when I'd drank a few cups of it I had the jitters.I gave it up, but am still poor when I don't get enough exercise & my arms weaken.Upper body exercises are the best & just doing it more often helps enornously. Sell the tx & get a HW 99s or similar lightweight accurate springer is another option, got rid of most of my heavy guns in recent years & don't regret it, especially the underleavers.

Its just practice you need.
    A TX is not stupidly heavy.
    I would not change anything, until you have cracked it.
    A PCP can be lighter, a springer is self contained. Two different animals, totally different challenges to shoot.

I would keep the sticks, loose the bean bag - it sounds a faff and think less is more.
    Dance like no one is watching.
    Sing like no one can hear.
    Scratch yourself like you think the zoom meeting has ended.