Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S400 Breech seal still leaks

You've obviously had the barrel out before. Take it out and play the hot air gun on the brass ferrule until you see it smoke, that's the sealant giving way, then pull the ferrule off the barrel. Let it cool, clean up the mating surfaces, line up the ferrule and the dints so that the transfer port will be in line, make a pencil mark on the ferrule and the barrel to indicate the alignment.

Fit the ferrule back on with some thread sealant, lining up the two pencil marks.

The hot air gun won't damage the barrel blueing. Don't forget to take the breech seal O ring out before you heat it all up , though.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You've obviously had the barrel out before. Take it out and play the hot air gun on the brass ferrule until you see it smoke, that's the sealant giving way, then pull the ferrule off the barrel. Let it cool, clean up the mating surfaces, line up the ferrule and the dints so that the transfer port will be in line, make a pencil mark on the ferrule and the barrel to indicate the alignment.

Fit the ferrule back on with some thread sealant, lining up the two pencil marks.

The hot air gun won't damage the barrel blueing. Don't forget to take the breech seal O ring out before you heat it all up , though.
    Rich, thanks for this. Barrel comes out but brass breech and shim are stuck in the probe housing. So it is the bolt housing finishing I am concerned about as this is what I'll have to heat. Also there is nothing to grip the brass. It'll have to be pushed out from breech end towards barrel end.

OK. If it were me, I would use my Rothenberger blowlamp instead of the hot air gun as it can place a more defined amount of heat more centrally and more rapidly, rather than a hot air gun taking a while to heat things up.

Can you make up a pusher maybe using a large allen key, to apply pressure to the brass ferrule one it has started to smoke? Failing that, something like a length of shark trace that you could pull on from the front? Put a short pin in the trace loop to bear on the ferrule and keep it tight.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    OK. If it were me, I would use my Rothenberger blowlamp instead of the hot air gun as it can place a more defined amount of heat more centrally and more rapidly, rather than a hot air gun taking a while to heat things up.

Can you make up a pusher maybe using a large allen key, to apply pressure to the brass ferrule one it has started to smoke? Failing that, something like a length of shark trace that you could pull on from the front? Put a short pin in the trace loop to bear on the ferrule and keep it tight.
    If you think that a blow torch won't cause any damage this plus a puller looks the way to go. Thanks Rich. S