Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HW99s Appreciation Society...

Thumbs up HW99s Appreciation Society...

(Based on the thread, HW30s Appreciation Society by tinbum)...

Just spent the afternoon playing with an HW99s. Awesome - a bit heavier than the HW30s and noticably stiffer to cock, but not much bigger, only an inch longer - perfect balance - Rekord trigger - a joy to shoot and excellent manners. Straight from the box, 11.4 ft/lbs with 4.52mm JSB RS - wasn't expecting that, (expected around 9 ft/lbs in .177). With a full (UK legal) power Weihrauch break barrel like this available, why on Earth would anyone want an HW80 or HW95?

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post

Just spent the afternoon playing with an HW99s. Awesome - a bit heavier than the HW30s and noticably stiffer to cock, but not much bigger, only an inch longer - perfect balance - Rekord trigger - a joy to shoot and excellent manners. Straight from the box, 11.4 ft/lbs with 4.52mm JSB RS - wasn't expecting that, (expected around 9 ft/lbs in .177). With a full (UK legal) power Weihrauch break barrel like this available, why on Earth would anyone want an HW80 or HW95?
    i cant understand why they bother with the 80 in 12 ft lbs,much too heavy.i love my 99 ,have buttoned piston, and
    done a bit of polishing,got to say its the best break barrel ive ever owned.enjoy yours.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    They are crackers aren't they. I made a hw98-esque shroud for mine. It's all the break barrel you need really.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Not a fan of the 99 I know people love them but the ones Ive shot were not that nice to shoot in .177 or .22 got a 30s and love that . Got a Terrus in .177 that shoots nice at 11.4 ftlbs better than the 99 IMHO or could it be that Ive just shot bad ones
    A few nice rifles

HW99s apreciation society

If they are as good as my 2005 50s which is apparently the same gun then they really do deserve thier own society!

Yep, excellent little things indeed.

Lightweight and full power. And with firing manners even out of the box that dispel the "lightweight, full power springers have to be jumpy little things" thinking.

I held off for years for fears over the galling issues, but took the plunge a couple of years ago with a used .22. I now also have a .177. Both were excellent pre-fettle. The .22 was doing 13.5 so needed dialling down, but shot so sweetly you'd have guessed at a much mode lowly output. The .177 (untouched as yet) is doing 10.6 with 'Domes, which are the only pellets I've tried it with.

Love them to bits and think they're brilliant value.

But I love my 95s and 80s too!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    Not a fan of the 99 I know people love them but the ones Ive shot were not that nice to shoot in .177 or .22 got a 30s and love that . Got a Terrus in .177 that shoots nice at 11.4 ftlbs better than the 99 IMHO or could it be that Ive just shot bad ones
    Maybe you were just unlucky?? All the ones I've shot have been excellent; even more so once tuned.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I love my 99s, but I find it quite hold sensitive. Rested @ 30 yards vs standing at the same range, the POI was 1" higher. Both were nice tight groups, but the difference was clear. It's .177, and has a lightweight alloy moderator. I may try it with a little more weight up front, but didn't really want to as the balance is nice as is...

Anyone else found this ? It may of course be particular to my power lever / tune and with a bit of fiddling I could fix...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I'll have to shoot a few more then Tony Its a tough job but I'll keep going
    A few nice rifles

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    They are crackers aren't they. I made a hw98-esque shroud for mine. It's all the break barrel you need really.
    Hell Yeah. I can't believe how mild-mannered she is for a lightweight .177 springer - felt like she was shooting 8-9 ft/lb tops till I got the F1 out. Can't think of another springer that I'd rather have - definitely all the break barrel you need. Sorry for stealing your thread idea by the way.....

jut fitted a tinbum kit to mine going to run it in the spring twang has disappeared good service from nick

I gotta be fair, I fancy a nickel and black one: http://www.sportwaffen-schneider.de/...ducts_id/23785 Oh yeah baby...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    The .177 (untouched as yet) is doing 10.6 with 'Domes, which are the only pellets I've tried it with.
    Try feeding her some 4.52mm JSB RS.....

Try feeding her some 4.52mm JSB RS.....
    Yep, will give them a go, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    I love my 99s, but I find it quite hold sensitive. Rested @ 30 yards vs standing at the same range, the POI was 1" higher. Both were nice tight groups, but the difference was clear. It's .177, and has a lightweight alloy moderator. I may try it with a little more weight up front, but didn't really want to as the balance is nice as is...

Anyone else found this ? It may of course be particular to my power lever / tune and with a bit of fiddling I could fix...
    Jon,

One day last October, I noticed varying impact point differences, even at short range with my (standard) .177.

I should point out that I was definitely having an off day.

Buy, at about fifteen yards, the POI difference between rifle sat on open palm and supported by my knee and the overarm FT style position was about 15mm!!

Tried again more recently and all was fine with no discernible difference. Must look into this again.......