Thread: Leaving HW100 cocked ?

Leaving HW100 cocked ?

Hi all

I was just wondering if there could be any side effects to leaving the HW100 cocked for longer periods of time. Like when you are stalking rabbits out in the field and you never know if anything is going to show or not. As I'm quite new to the PCP scene, I was wondering that when left cocked, could the pressure in the in the rifles air chamber cause the seals to wear out much quicker, and therefore leading to more regular servicing/repairs etc.

And if this is the case, presumably it would be better to cock the rifle nearer to when taking that all important shot, If possible that is.

I look forward to hearing your replies,

John
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

Purely down to the safety aspect you don't want to be wandering around with a loaded & cocked rifle when it can be avoided, and as it's silent & instant to cock a PCP wait until you spot a target and start the final close stalk.

Will it actually cause damage? no.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Purely down to the safety aspect you don't want to be wandering around with a loaded & cocked rifle when it can be avoided, and as it's silent & instant to cock a PCP wait until you spot a target and start the final close stalk.

Will it actually cause damage? no.
    Thanks for the swift reply angrybear.

Just the info I was looking for. And as you stated, due to safety, I usually cock the rifle when I spot my target in the distance,

John
    Sam colt made them equal

When holed up I will cock my HW100 and wait so to avoid any movement at all when the shot presents itself . No problems with mine at all . I have lost shots, ie spooked quarry, due to cocking(noise and movement) a pcp ! Obviously I am mindful of what may be in the line of fire at all times. Not best practice I realise and something I would never do with a >12ftlb gun . hth , rich.
    gat gun .25 cal

When cocking a pcp all you are doing is compressing the hammer spring ... the air pressure acts on the seals cocked or not cocked. Whether it is OK to keep a hammer spring compressed for a long time I could not say, personally I do not do it.
    Cheers, phil

I have had my HW100S for 18 months now and have spent long periods waiting for rabbits with the gun cocked and the safety on. Never missed a beat.

Thanks for the replys and info lads
    Sam colt made them equal