Thread: Just Saying Hi

Cool Just Saying Hi

Hi all,
    I'm Pete from Preston, Lancs.
    I've got to be honest and say I had no interest in Air Gun whatsoever until last week. Us and the next door neighbour keep Chickens, us for maybe the last four years or so. I noticed a small Rat a few weeks ago in the Chicken Run, it's quite large, well for a Terraced House and maybe 15ft x 10ft.
    I didn't think much of it at the time but last Saturday was a turning point. I'd gone back down the garden about ten minutes after feeding the Hens and the was a Rat Rave going on, easily 20 of the damned things. I had no idea we had such a problem as the garden is over 120 ft long and the Hens are right down at the bottom.
    We have dogs and cats so poison was out so I decided to borrow a friends air rifle and set to. It's an old Russian thing and completely hopeless so I bought a Hammerli Blackout Combo yesterday and have spent lunchtime today zeroing the sights in.......or at least trying to. I came home after work and it's all gone awry now as it's shooting of by a couple of inches.....Not sure what's happened there but I've re-tightened up the scope mounts etc and we'll try again tomorrow.

My main problem is that because the Run is fenced of I have one shot before they all bugger off because of the noise.
    Current score is shots fired (including the Russian Air Rifle is
    Rats 11
    Pete 0

3 shots with the Hammerli so far with 0 results.
    Back out in the morning I go.

Anyway, that's the Air Gunning bit pout the way,
    I'm 51, married, two inherited Sons, I'm a School Caretaker by Day, by Night I'm a not too shabby Bass Guitarist and I'm usually out Gigging most weekends laying down a solid groove for folks to dance to.......Hopefully.

Cheers for now then Folks and I'm looking forward to gaining some great knowledge for the members and hopefully contributing some when I get the chance.
    Two days in and I feel a PCP Buzz coming on already.

Hi Pete and welcome.
    If your struggling , give us a shout.
    I work in Preston and live in Blackburn.
    Happy to help you zero your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrodgers View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm Pete from Preston, Lancs.
    I've got to be honest and say I had no interest in Air Gun whatsoever until last week. Us and the next door neighbour keep Chickens, us for maybe the last four years or so. I noticed a small Rat a few weeks ago in the Chicken Run, it's quite large, well for a Terraced House and maybe 15ft x 10ft.

A rat '15ft x 10ft'. Your on your own with that one.

Its a nice gesture of Alakars to help you zero your rifle. Welcome aboard.

ATB
    Ian.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    A rat '15ft x 10ft'. Your on your own with that one.
    Doh !
    I mis-read that !
    Still it's only the same size as the Mother in Law

Wow! Seems that Rattus Rattus Texicanus has reached as far as Preston. I always believed that living 'opp North' could be dangerous.

tac

Hi Pete give them a dose of Pellititis welcome to the forum

Thanks for the welcome and comments guys.
    Thanks Alakar for the very kind offer but I've spent a couple of hours today getting to grips with it and managed to get it shooting where I point it.
    Bagged two of the little blighters this afternoon, one of them is...or should I say was called Spartacus !! nearly as big as a cat.
    Plenty more to go at now.
    Thanks again guys and I think I might be slightly hooked....ooh.

Sounds like they are finding plenty to eat, but they soon get wise.
    Try baiting them with some cat food or peanut butter but make it sloppy.
    If they have to stop to eat it they are there longer making them an easier target.

Hi again,
    Well that didn't last long....the Hammerli that is.
    Traded up to a Hatsan 44-10, I lost £40 on the Hammerli so I can cope with that.
    I've moved the hens out of their main run and put them in the smaller one, there's still plenty of room for 5 to keep them happy. I've put a Peanut Butter and Cat Food combo left in the main one so I'll have a look see in an hour or so.

I'm super impressed with the 44-10, nice and quiet, no recoil and a 10 shot mag, I'm getting excellent pellet clusters with it as well. I'm more pleased about that to be honest, as much as I hate the little buggers an accurate shot and as humane a kill as possible is my top priority.
    I'm a happy bunny.