Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are C02 Replicas not restricted like Airsoft?

Why are C02 Replicas not restricted like Airsoft?

Been trying to find info on this online but there is so much misinformation spread around by people who think they know what they are talking about, so basically I can Buy a C02 powered .177 H&K USP replica and I'm fine but if I purchase a gas blowback Airsoft 6mm H&K USP I'm foul of the law (unless I'm registered skirmisher) just curious why the C02 guns don't come into RIF VCR Act?

The closest thing I came to an answer was C02 guns are technically classified as firearms so can't be a imitation because it is a firearm, so don't fall under the VCR Act like Airsoft because Airsoft a're classified as toys. Another answer was the law changed at different times and didn't affect C02 guns.

Your second paragraph is spot on.
    It can't be an imitation firearm if it is a firearm.

It seems crazy the less dangerous of the two are illegal, the law makes little sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynabal View Post
    It seems crazy the less dangerous of the two are illegal, the law makes little sense to me.
    We are only a Daily Mail story away from a ban on the CO2s Personally, I'd keep quiet and not speculate in case someone decides to legislate...

Well I was thinking of getting myself one for quick plinking sessions in the field but don't want to end up having to get rid of it if the laws likely to change, had to get rid of my Airsoft collection because of these stupid idiots waving them around in public.

I'm fed up the minority spoiling things for the majority of law abiding people. Can't we just castrate the twits so they don't contaminate the gene pool so the rest of us dont have to suffer.

It's simple really.
    They make Firearms Law and a couple of weeks later its - 'sh*t we forgot about airguns' -again!

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    The Law on these things is illogical and a complete mess, but as those that determine these things aren't really accountable who's going to do anything about it. Certainly not any politicians.

I believe the real reason they made Airsoft toys more difficult to obtain is because the whole point of them is that they are as near as possible identical in looks to the real deal. They were also sold in many places and very cheaply as well in some cases. The last thing the Police wanted was to shoot members of the public toting toys by mistake.

In a (fairly) sensible place like the U.S. An airgun will never ever be a firearm in a court of law. Here in the UK it's a convenient legal tool to demonise air guns to obtain a quick conviction. Most members of the public don't know or care about the difference between airguns and firearms.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

harvey_s is online now Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Perhaps there is some method in their madness in that most people are aware airguns are not toys and are aware that brandishing them in public can have serious consequences....whereas airsoft guns were marketed as toys/non harmful and as such treated them with less control which ironically could lead to a tragic accident in more immature hands perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Cynabal View Post
    wellcome to my world poloticians are for the most part self serving shits who are happy to jump on any band wagon, and claim its the will of the people They never let the facts get in a way of the truth

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    We are only a Daily Mail story away from a ban on the CO2s Personally, I'd keep quiet and not speculate in case someone decides to legislate...
    Or in case someone decides (after repeated representations in writing that such things are indeed legal) to have a "legality meeting" with the Home Office (on the basis that "that sort of thing" might, in their opinion, give the press/public the "wrong idea" (Someone could use one for a drive by shooting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!)), and then someone unconnected with that meeting (who doesn't have the minutes of said meeting) will publicise the results of that meeting on here in a "wink wink, nudge nudge" manner.

<Taps nose knowingly>

Couldn't happen? How many UK manufacturers make a multishot CO2 pistol?

Oh, as to the OP?

It's because airsoft guns are restricted under the VCR as Realistic Imitation Firearms. Being over 1 Ft/lb (or 1 Joule, never sure which) a CO2 Umarex type of thing is classed as a Firearm, so by definition cannot be an Imitation Firearm.

Interestingly enough, pre 97 CO2 pistols were on FAC.
    Last edited by zanes; 23-05-2015 at 10:25 PM.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Because the VCR act is an ass and needs changing and the idiots who do all the damage to our sport should be publicly flogged to show that they are being punished, the police and government are happy to prosecute car drivers who break the law and more deaths are caused by dangerous/drunk driving than by guns in this country, if the general public can see that a hard line is being taken with the knobs who break the law with guns then they will leave us law abiding shooters well alone.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    From what I understand we're not too far away from a European ban on CO2 guns as the Union want to ban sources of this gas to reduce greenhouse gasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
    From what I understand we're not too far away from a European ban on CO2 guns as the Union want to ban sources of this gas to reduce greenhouse gasses.
    yes, but if they in europe and at Westminister stoaped talking through there rear ends all the time we would save on green-house gasses overnight
    Last edited by fatttmannn; 24-05-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    yes, but if they in europe and at Westminister stoaped talking through there rear ends all the time we would save on green-house gasses overnight
    Hear, hear!

Id love to know where i stand with my all black GLOK 17 and no skirmish card LOL. well is its not all Black it does have a faint red band on the end of the barrel.
    Weihrauch HW77 MK1 .22 / Weihrauch HW80 MK1 .22 / BSA Airsporter MK1 .177/ Webely MK3 .22 / Diana Mod 27 .22 / SMK QB78DL .22 / Webley nemesis .177