Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impact Airguns - Theoben in Disguise?

Impact Airguns - Theoben in Disguise?

Hi All,
    I've been following the interesting thread on the forum about Impact Airguns who took over the old Theoben factory about a year ago.

It seems from the majority of comments the service is really poor and has followed on from that experienced by Theoben customers in the later years.

When you hear comments about RAW, a company set up by our friends over the atlantic, it sounds like they've really put the effort and research in and improved what was already and exceptional design.

I'm looking at FAC and want a gun with a reasonable shot count so a buddy bottle gun seems the obvious option and the Rapid design seems the one to go for.

Pros for UK built are, easier to get parts for, sort out repairs in theory?

Pros for USA built are, more professional set up, they're used to building FAC guns so the parts will be stronger, better reputation, imported by Mike Tawn a well renowned dealer.

I'd be interested in the views of owners of both.

BM

Cricket...

There are always older FAC Rapids for sale and a fraction of the price of a new rifle one.. They are so easy to work on and there are people out there that can make it run very sweet..

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
    Hi All,
    I've been following the interesting thread on the forum about Impact Airguns who took over the old Theoben factory about a year ago.

It seems from the majority of comments the service is really poor and has followed on from that experienced by Theoben customers in the later years.

When you hear comments about RAW, a company set up by our friends over the atlantic, it sounds like they've really put the effort and research in and improved what was already and exceptional design.

I'm looking at FAC and want a gun with a reasonable shot count so a buddy bottle gun seems the obvious option and the Rapid design seems the one to go for.

Pros for UK built are, easier to get parts for, sort out repairs in theory?

Pros for USA built are, more professional set up, they're used to building FAC guns so the parts will be stronger, better reputation, imported by Mike Tawn a well renowned dealer.

I'd be interested in the views of owners of both.

BM
    My understanding is that RAW was originally set up to be "Theoben USA" if you like but it was seen that it would be more successful on it's own as an American based company than it would with a UK parent company so "Theoben" was thrown to the wolves.

I'm happy to be corrected if anyone knows different.

All Rapids are built like a brick sh*t house so strength is not an issue, my .25 @42fpe is flawless.

I did hope things had changed but looks like same old story so if it fails ( i hope it wont) will this be Theoben mark 2, 3 4, 5

i have dealt with impact once and that was to buy a magazine for a rapid,it was very badly made and expensive.i called them to complain and was told that i needed to learn how to de-burr!,why should i have to?
    they will never get any of my money again.

I kind of agree folks, I have heard things like low quality and bad after-sales myself. What dissapoints me Is the prices for these new models, £1300 for a GSX 200, that's bad. I could get a Ultimate Sporter with a Light-stream on-top for that. Impact Air-guns needs to rethink It's direction.
    Air Arms S510 Carbine Ultimate Sporter, .177
    Bushnell Trophy XLT 4-12×40
    Sportsmatch UK, Nite-Site Wolf, Jack Pyke

Quote Originally Posted by larrylamppost View Post
    i have dealt with impact once and that was to buy a magazine for a rapid,it was very badly made and expensive.i called them to complain and was told that i needed to learn how to de-burr!,why should i have to?
    they will never get any of my money again.
    sounds like the old Bl attitude of that will do remeber when we used to make all we wanted here and it was made well no you didnt dream it, it was true and then 1970,s early 80,s it was all gone like something you drempt If thats Impacts idea of customer service well, I predict they will be gone very soon. Maybe the next people who take it over will have learned something, look after your customer base or you wont have a firm for very long

Well, the 'RAW' in RAW 1000 stands for Rapid Air Weapon. At least they have given a nod to Theoben. Check out the Airguns of Arizona bench rest competition on the tube. It seems Daystate and FX have almost equal penetration of the US market with a few RAW 1000's thrown in. Sadly not one Air Arms. I'm going to guess its down to the FAC levels of power that the yanks tend to favour ?

Thanks guys, I think it's going to be a second hand Rapid or RAW then.

Which is the best Rapid model to go for in FAC and what should I look for?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Jones View Post
    I kind of agree folks, I have heard things like low quality and bad after-sales myself. What dissapoints me Is the prices for these new models, £1300 for a GSX 200, that's bad. I could get a Ultimate Sporter with a Light-stream on-top for that. Impact Air-guns needs to rethink It's direction.
    That's expensive

I saw one in the flesh in Heavitree gun & sport this month & it looks very, very, nice.

I think it was under £1200 but tbh wouldn't swear to it, but was less than £1300.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post

Which is the best Rapid model to go for in FAC and what should I look for?
    The best FAC model is a day state mvt fully adjustable from around 8 lb for inside barn to 40 lb at the press of a switch and pull of a trigger even has a built in chrono great shot count and the company is still around or you could get an old theoben rapid get the mark 4 trigger its the chrispest

I was interested in buying an Impact GSX 600 six months ago, I rang them had a chat asked a few questions and was not impressed one bit, I hope they survive being a uk company and all that but I think they will struggle, they are expensive and not many RFDs will take them on, also they wont shoot any better than many pcp's costing half the price imo.
    BASC Airgun member

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
    The best FAC model is a day state mvt fully adjustable from around 8 lb for inside barn to 40 lb at the press of a switch and pull of a trigger even has a built in chrono great shot count and the company is still around or you could get an old theoben rapid get the mark 4 trigger its the chrispest
    Sorry, but I wouldn't touch a Daystate, they're ok if you get a good one but if you get a dog you'll be plagued with problems, also the customer service is dreadful.

It'll be a second hand Theoben Rapid or a RAW for me.

Second hand rapid and get KevG to do his thing on it
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast