Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Impact Airguns - Theoben in Disguise?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
    Sorry, but I wouldn't touch a Daystate, they're ok if you get a good one but if you get a dog you'll be plagued with problems, also the customer service is dreadful.

It'll be a second hand Theoben Rapid or a RAW for me.
    I have an Air Ranger and find Daystate customer service to be the best in the business. The comments regarding Theoben being easy to fix is what puts me off. They are equally open to butchery. If it must be a Theoben then make sure it's from a reputable source. Lastly the idea of sending it for "sorting" is going to be expensive, at FAC levels it's either deliver it yourself to an RFD for repair or transfer to an RFD gunsmith. You can't just drop it off at Fred the fixer who isn't an RFD or post it.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    I have an Air Ranger and find Daystate customer service to be the best in the business. The comments regarding Theoben being easy to fix is what puts me off. They are equally open to butchery. If it must be a Theoben then make sure it's from a reputable source. Lastly the idea of sending it for "sorting" is going to be expensive, at FAC levels it's either deliver it yourself to an RFD for repair or transfer to an RFD gunsmith. You can't just drop it off at Fred the fixer who isn't an RFD or post it.
    Really? For a full KevG service, including new valve, depinger, full seal change and removal of the anti tamper as despite all the nice security of having the Theoben AT in place it was still clocking over 13 ft lb, we paid under £100 for a KevG service including all parts. Including the diesel required to run up from Norfolk we spent under £130! Expensive? Have you seen how much Daystate charge for a ruddy service? You are having a giraffe mate!

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Really? For a full KevG service, including new valve, depinger, full seal change and removal of the anti tamper as despite all the nice security of having the Theoben AT in place it was still clocking over 13 ft lb, we paid under £100 for a KevG service including all parts. Including the diesel required to run up from Norfolk we spent under £130! Expensive? Have you seen how much Daystate charge for a ruddy service? You are having a giraffe mate!
    you was quicker than I. And allso these "Fred the Fixers" has you call them MR Edge seem to my mind (and others by the look of it) are has good a tech has that in the makers workshops. And there cheaper.. And tell me Sir, I have been in local gun shops a few times know and seen the owners having to deal with disgruntled punters who have purchased Daystates, that have had to go back for rectification of faults These have been new guns, now to my mind they should be working perfect before not after there dispatched to there new owners. It put me off getting a new Daystate. Mine came from here, its 3rd hand, 17 years old, Hunttsman FTR series 2 and it cost under £300. It works perfect and dose all I want.,
    . Now given all that above, would you like to clarify your definition of best maybe you was lucky, I have seen/ heard to many complaints to call it good myself. Has to service , give me Fred the Fixer( many of whom are on here) they do the job properly, they do it cheaper( without cutting quality) and they dont seem to have to go back and for like a ping-pong ball to be fixed again and again.

KevG did my rapid ttr...running a nice 11.4ftlbs with aa field and is shooting really consistent...was under 100 pound and that was the full works..the action is very quiet and now with the Steve pegg moderator on it the pellet impact is the only thing you can hear
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    you was quicker than I. And allso these "Fred the Fixers" has you call them MR Edge seem to my mind (and others by the look of it) are has good a tech has that in the makers workshops. And there cheaper.. And tell me Sir, I have been in local gun shops a few times know and seen the owners having to deal with disgruntled punters who have purchased Daystates, that have had to go back for rectification of faults These have been new guns, now to my mind they should be working perfect before not after there dispatched to there new owners. It put me off getting a new Daystate. Mine came from here, its 3rd hand, 17 years old, Hunttsman FTR series 2 and it cost under £300. It works perfect and dose all I want.,
    . Now given all that above, would you like to clarify your definition of best maybe you was lucky, I have seen/ heard to many complaints to call it good myself. Has to service , give me Fred the Fixer( many of whom are on here) they do the job properly, they do it cheaper( without cutting quality) and they dont seem to have to go back and for like a ping-pong ball to be fixed again and again.
    Quote Originally Posted by ROOKIE SNIPER1 View Post
    KevG did my rapid ttr...running a nice 11.4ftlbs with aa field and is shooting really consistent...was under 100 pound and that was the full works..the action is very quiet and now with the Steve pegg moderator on it the pellet impact is the only thing you can hear
    All three of you need glasses. Did I not specify "at FAC level, RFD transfer to RFD gunsmith and reputable source" in my post. FAC rifles cannot be posted by Royal Fail and not knowing KevG at all I cannot comment on hid RFD status. The law states that a private individual can fix an FAC as long as the licence holder is present. The OP did ask about FAC not sub 12 sorry.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Theoben was legendary In the early 90s, John Darling absolutely loved his, the early models are best for sure. Rapid mark 1 or 2 If I was a fan In mint condition, they are out there folk's. Any airgun company starting out or the case like Impact Air-guns Is they have a tough act to follow now with the top four ruling the roost, Air Arms, Daystate, Weihrauch, and BSA, Impact will fail If no new direction Is found. Such a shame, I do wish them all the best, being British.
    Air Arms S510 Carbine Ultimate Sporter, .177
    Bushnell Trophy XLT 4-12×40
    Sportsmatch UK, Nite-Site Wolf, Jack Pyke

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
    Thanks guys, I think it's going to be a second hand Rapid or RAW then.

Which is the best Rapid model to go for in FAC and what should I look for?
    Any mk2,
    Easiest to use will be one with a quick-fill, the mk4 trigger is generally accepted as best but I've also got one with a mk3 trigger that feels exactly the same to me, up to 30fpe go regulated - over 30fpe I was told fast flow is better (by the Theoben-Rapid forum & they know Rapids) to get the best needs a long barrel (19") I find a normal Weihrauch mod superb.

Thanks guys, interesting debate.

As for Datstate my friends had a couple and they were nothing but trouble, got rid off them for an S410's.

secretagentmole Guest
    All three of you need glasses. Did I not specify "at FAC level, RFD transfer to RFD gunsmith and reputable source" in my post. FAC rifles cannot be posted by Royal Fail and not knowing KevG at all I cannot comment on hid RFD status. The law states that a private individual can fix an FAC as long as the licence holder is present. The OP did ask about FAC not sub 12 sorry.
    Well Mr Edge that will apply to any damned Daystate FAC as well as any Rapid FAC!

Let me just add that the RAW customer service is friendly, competent and complete. Martin and Sandra are delightful and very helpful. I would not hesitate on the TM1000.

Intresting, just really give this a look, so wouldnt that be apply to any fac rifle then And no comment on Daystates "best" customer service then

Well Mr Edge that will apply to any damned Daystate FAC as well as any Rapid FAC!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    Intresting, just really give this a look, so wouldnt that be apply to any fac rifle then And no comment on Daystates "best" customer service then
    Did I say it didn't. It applies to all FAC not just air. You would have known that if you had replied to the thread with any knowledge of FAC at all.
    Mr Moley your attitude is likely to grab the attention of the mods because you are taking every chance to take a poke. Be careful

secretagentmole Guest
    Did I say it didn't. It applies to all FAC not just air. You would have known that if you had replied to the thread with any knowledge of FAC at all.
    Mr Moley your attitude is likely to grab the attention of the mods because you are taking every chance to take a poke. Be careful
    Mr Edge, where did I ever suggest sending it by post? I said we took ours up in the car and that even allowing for 2 return trips, it was still substantially cheaper than sending a Daystate FAC in for a service. I was going on cost not legality so please stop trying to shoot FAC powered holes in things as your argument was about cost, I simply explained how much a KevG service was. Daystate would be at least 2 or 3 times as much!

So let us keep the argument to being one about cost and not one about how the heck it got there in the first place! Daystate are horrendously priced for servicing. Well noted.

As for attitude sir, anybody who tries to halt the development of air rifle technology, such as those pioneered by the "Fred the Fixers" as you so sneeringly call them, whose work then ends up in air rifles as the development is so much better than the parts that they are utilising is a fool of the highest order! Several tuners have had their developments incorporated into the new air rifles by Impact. Not just talk, proof.

Mr Edge, where did I ever suggest sending it by post? I said we took ours up in the car and that even allowing for 2 return trips, it was still substantially cheaper than sending a Daystate FAC in for a service. I was going on cost not legality so please stop trying to shoot FAC powered holes in things as your argument was about cost, I simply explained how much a KevG service was. Daystate would be at least 2 or 3 times as much!

So let us keep the argument to being one about cost and not one about how the heck it got there in the first place! Daystate are horrendously priced for servicing. Well noted.

As for attitude sir, anybody who tries to halt the development of air rifle technology, such as those pioneered by the "Fred the Fixers" as you so sneeringly call them, whose work then ends up in air rifles as the development is so much better than the parts that they are utilising is a fool of the highest order! Several tuners have had their developments incorporated into the new air rifles by Impact. Not just talk, proof.
    Let me get this straight, You do not want to discuss FAC, you want to discuss purely on cost. Start a new thread then because the OP wanted to know purely about FAC. I don't care what you paid for your service, your three return trips or what Daystate charge for that matter. On cost alone FAC rifles tend to be more expensive to service and their is a lot more involved in getting one to the person doing the service whoever they are. To the OP. I think David TS has a nice Theoben FAC for sale at present.

Thanks Rob, I haven't applied yet and I understand from the very helpful post on the forum about the application process it'll take some time.

I'm in no hurry at the moment and I'm weighing up whether I need FAC or not, I have a cabinet as I have a boy who's very interested in air guns it the application process.