Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Night Before The Fair...

The Night Before The Fair...

I have always found it very difficult to rest or sleep before an arms fair. The excitement and anticipation of finding something for the collection the following day sends my pulse and mind racing, resulting in instant insomnia. This has not diminished over the years and I'll be out at 3.30 AM tomorrow morning to take the dog out before making tracks for he Phoenix at Bisley.

Now that I've 'come out' I wonder if any others share this affliction? Or is it only me?

John

Nope!

Definitely just you, John.

And when it all goes horribly wrong with bodies laid everywhere the neighbours will say 'He was a loner. Kept himself to himself'.

Don't mean a word of it, mate. Have a wonderful weekend, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

I will admit to a touch of that before each March one John.
    Surviving another winter,clock change etc.

More relaxed about this one- Might even go Sunday!

Bank holiday traffic South can be tedious on Saturday PM and also Family like to keep me on edge as to what day I am not required !

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I'll be out at 3.30 AM tomorrow morning
    3.30 AM, John? That's the middle of the night!

I wish I had any of that high level of excitement and anticipation in my life, frankly. If you have somehow managed to preserve it down the years, all power to you.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

I wish I had any of that high level of excitement and anticipation in my life, frankly. If you have somehow managed to preserve it down the years, all power to you.
    It kills 2 birds with 1 stone Danny as the dog gets a good 6 mile walk and if you can't sleep anyway...

You'd think I'd have grown out of it by now as I don't always find anything suitable but the anticipation is the nearest I get to those Christmases I remember as a child.

Then there's the chatting with fellow collectors, which to me is as interesting as finding old guns. There's always something unusual to see, whether it's for sale or not.

John

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    Nope!

Definitely just you, John.

And when it all goes horribly wrong with bodies laid everywhere the neighbours will say 'He was a loner. Kept himself to himself'.

Don't mean a word of it, mate. Have a wonderful weekend, Mick
    Thanks Mick,

Sounds like it may just be me!

John

rush

Hi John,

I remember the time before the 1995 breech ban when the forerunner to the present Phoenix (NPA Pistol AD) brought together large numbers of traders and pistol shooters to Bisley over the bank holiday weekend. I always attended over the whole meeting and didn't get much sleep due to the adrenalin rush that wandering around the place and shooting never failed to create. I get a bit more sleep before attending events these days, but then I am lot older. One of the most disappointing things for me about attending the meetings the fairs I go to now is the apparent lack of younger people, apart from yourself of course, indicating a possible decline of our sport in the future.

Hope to see you tomorrow or Sunday.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi John,

I remember the time before the 1995 breech ban when the forerunner to the present Phoenix (NPA Pistol AD) brought together large numbers of traders and pistol shooters to Bisley over the bank holiday weekend. I always attended over the whole meeting and didn't get much sleep due to the adrenalin rush that wandering around the place and shooting never failed to create. I get a bit more sleep before attending events these days, but then I am lot older. One of the most disappointing things for me about attending the meetings the fairs I go to now is the apparent lack of younger people, apart from yourself of course, meaning a possible decline of our sport in the future.

Hope to see you tomorrow or Sunday.

Regards

Brian
    Thanks for your kind words Brian and nice to know it's not just me!

I agree about younger collectors but I suppose collecting tends to attract maturer people. I always thought the group of collectors I used to shoot and visit fairs with were among the youngest in the land, some 25 years ago and we probably were back then. Most of the others still collect I'm pleased to say but we did feel we were in the minority at the time.

We also remember the Anno Domini meetings, where airguns were very much in the minority. In many ways although much smaller than pre 97, the Phoenix is much better now from a historical airgun perspective. I'd love to see a Bisley along the lines of the Edwardian Imperial meetings (in July), where you did not just have the one tent but a whole avenue of them known as 'Bazaar Lines'. There you would have seen BSA, AG Parker, Charles Riggs and a plethora of other traders displaying their wares in their own tents. I know you could not resurrect these companies now but perhaps if you named one tent the AG Parker tent and kept all the airgun dealers in there, whilst book dealers took up residence in the BSA tent and firearms in the Tippins tent, etc?

I look forward to having a chat with you over the weekend.

John

I dont think you are any more weard than the rest of us John, enjoy yourself and hope you find what your looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

He only gets up that early Danny, to walk the dog while the general public are asleep

He has one of those French Poodles that has been dyed pink, with ribbons and bows. Nearly forgot the shaved bottom, and not on the dog

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    He only gets up that early Danny, to walk the dog while the general public are asleep

He has one of those French Poodles that has been dyed pink, with ribbons and bows. Nearly forgot the shaved bottom, and not on the dog
    Trust you to lower the tone Mr B

Not sure Millita would appreciate being compared to a pink poodle and how did you know about the shaving?

John

Arms Fair anticipation

I must admit that I get quite excited at the prospect of a visit to an Arms Fair, and I actually set the alarm (normally unheard of unless flying somewhere on holiday). As I don't like driving very far and live near Manchester, I go to the Leeds one. In the past, there have been very few tables with any airguns, but lots of interesting general Militaria, so I often return home empty-handed. However, this time I couldn't believe my eyes. There was a dealer with DOZENS of boxed and unboxed Webley pistols for sale, together with other air pistols and many different makes of air rifles. It was Tim Dyson, who I found out is a BBS member. I had a long chat with him, which alone made the trip worthwhile as not many of my friends talk "airguns". He has a new website "timdysonairguns.co.uk" . I think that this has been mentioned in an old thread. I will certainly look forward to my next trip out to Leeds!
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I must admit that I get quite excited at the prospect of a visit to an Arms Fair, and I actually set the alarm (normally unheard of unless flying somewhere on holiday). As I don't like driving very far and live near Manchester, I go to the Leeds one. In the past, there have been very few tables with any airguns, but lots of interesting general Militaria, so I often return home empty-handed. However, this time I couldn't believe my eyes. There was a dealer with DOZENS of boxed and unboxed Webley pistols for sale, together with other air pistols and many different makes of air rifles. It was Tim Dyson, who I found out is a BBS member. I had a long chat with him, which alone made the trip worthwhile as not many of my friends talk "airguns". He has a new website "timdysonairguns.co.uk" . I think that this has been mentioned in an old thread. I will certainly look forward to my next trip out to Leeds!
    yes Tim has some cracking stuff on his site, bit pricey for me mind, but you pay for good stuff. Wish him well in his venture

Bisley

Yes me too, I love the whole thing, even the drive down on the Saturday morning listening to the old boy on Radio 2 who does the 60's program.I leave about 7.45 and once off the M25 the drive past Fairoaks Airport and thru Chobham is very pleasant at that time of the morning.

Missed it last year so even more keyed up about this one.

Thanks for helping with that mystery rifle by the way. I am bringing a photo on Saturday to show Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Yes me too, I love the whole thing, even the drive down on the Saturday morning listening to the old boy on Radio 2 who does the 60's program.I leave about 7.45 and once off the M25 the drive past Fairoaks Airport and thru Chobham is very pleasant at that time of the morning.

Missed it last year so even more keyed up about this one.

Thanks for helping with that mystery rifle by the way. I am bringing a photo on Saturday to show Keith.
    Maybe Keith will identify it - I hope so as I'm intrigued...

Only 12-13 hours to go!

John