Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparison of 3 tuned HW97s - V Glide, Target tune and Paul Short

Comparison of 3 tuned HW97s - V Glide, Target tune and Paul Short

I love the 97 as a gun. I also cannot stop tinkering - to cut a long story short I now own three 97s and I have upgraded them all in different ways. I have made this very simple video so that you can just see the guns being shot and judge the recoil/ flip visually. People have asked me which is my favourite and that is too hard to say - the biggest reason I suspect being that they are all in different style stocks! They are all lovely....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w-OJ_etz_8
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles

I forgot to mention that the Paul Short gun is producing about 1ft/lb more than the other two so that will have an influence on kick. I will sort them out so they are all about he same and do some more tests etc....

having watched your video and having two as yet but not for long unturned 97k,s myself I think that the Paul Short sounded the sweeter that the V glide or the WW tuned .what I did like was your CS stock ,having just bought a 97kt find it better for arthritic fingers so have better control overall
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

To be honest - I think the choice of stock is hugely important. Stock wise I like the standard one on the Paul Short gun the least and I agree with you - the CS stock is a lovely comfortable thing. I need to work on these guns to bring them in line with each other power wise and it might be intersting to swap the stocks around a little to see how they feel then

I have a brand new 97k. installed piston sleeve, deburred, polished, machined delrin sping guide and top hat very tight fit to spring, cut spring to desired 11.7ftb on .22 rws super domes, stripped trigger polished sears used correct lube. From the first 20 pellets I put through after work I was getting 10p groupings at 30 yards with very little recoil.
    My pal has a 97k tuned from Sandwell field sports the full shebang and between the two there is very little difference. My total spend was 97k £268 delivered from netherlands with fac spring, delrin off cuts £8 fleabay many hours of enjoying work.
    If you have the ability don't spend a fortune on kits they are so easy to work on.

Good stuff. I have often considered doing all that stuff myself too but I wanted to compare the 'best kit there was about' so to speak. Also I would always work with 177 guns as I reckon they are harder to tune the recoil out of than a 22

Loving your videos, Neil.

They all look nice and sweet. . As you mention up above, the stock weight / balance / geometry / centre of gravity, scope weight and overall weight distribution is a huge contributory factor in both reducing recoil and, hopefully, encouraging more straight-line recoil as opposed to muzzle flip.

As a self-confessed HW tart, V-Mach fan and lover of the thumbhole synthetic stock, my fave would have to be........

Would you fancy doing a quick video of the Predator at the Bash? Not many people know what it is, or have ever seen one, so it'd be nice to enlighten a few peeps. And also act as a little tribute to the gun's late designer / builder, Steve Thornley of Kestock Conversions.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Best tune for a 97 sleave it down with some 26mm OD 23mm ID tube, keep stroke @ 81, job done
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Best tune for a 97 sleave it down with some 26mm OD 23mm ID tube, keep stroke @ 81, job done
    Yeah, but you ARE one of those "shed tuner gods", JB.

It'd be lovely if one of the manufacturers picked up on this.

Could I have a go at the Bash, pretty please???
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Loving your videos, Neil.

They all look nice and sweet. . As you mention up above, the stock weight / balance / geometry / centre of gravity, scope weight and overall weight distribution is a huge contributory factor in both reducing recoil and, hopefully, encouraging more straight-line recoil as opposed to muzzle flip.

As a self-confessed HW tart, V-Mach fan and lover of the thumbhole synthetic stock, my fave would have to be........

Would you fancy doing a quick video of the Predator at the Bash? Not many people know what it is, or have ever seen one, so it'd be nice to enlighten a few peeps. And also act as a little tribute to the gun's late designer / builder, Steve Thornley of Kestock Conversions.
    By all means mate - although it would be a bit noisy and you are more than welcome to bring it over to Barnby any time and we could make one here....

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Oh my god - does this mean I need to buy ANOTHER 97???

For anyone wanting to contact Paul Short, he has given me permission to hand out his email address, so I have included it in the video description on youtube

Quote Originally Posted by neil180 View Post
    Oh my god - does this mean I need to buy ANOTHER 97???
    Indeed!

Always remember - you can never have enough!!!

Quote Originally Posted by neil180 View Post
    By all means mate - although it would be a bit noisy and you are more than welcome to bring it over to Barnby any time and we could make one here....
    That's a brilliant idea and most generous, Neil.

Yep, if you're sure it's okay, that'd be brilliant and we'll get it sorted sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    That's a brilliant idea and most generous, Neil.

Yep, if you're sure it's okay, that'd be brilliant and we'll get it sorted sometime.
    Well I am a little over 30 minutes down the A1 from Retford - I know that as I have played darts there a few times