Thread: Webley Raider Consistency Issues

Ali-C is offline It looks so pretty burning

Webley Raider Consistency Issues

Calling upon the massive and collective knowledge (fnar) of the BBS! My Webley is throwing a wobbley and she needs sorting out!
    Well I've so far replaced missing sear screws and finally got an acceptable trigger, taken her down in power as she was a touch hot when I got her as some dozy bugger had bunged a fat washer in front of the hammer spring, and sorted a half decent scope for it. (Anyone want a quality Jeff and JennyŽ 3-9x50 with a wonky ballistic ret? ) Now the old girl just needs a touch of consistency. The power curve goes from 9.9ft.lbs at 190BAR, peaks 11.8ft.lbs at 140BAR and goes back to 11.6 ft/lbs by 110BAR. Has anyone got any ideas on how to get her running a bit sweeter?

Ta,
    Ali.
    Quote Originally Posted by madnurse View Post
    Would like to try FT but being a short fat stumpy git i would look like a weeble wobbling about, spraying pellets everywhere like a deranged mafia boss

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali-C View Post
    Calling upon the massive and collective knowledge (fnar) of the BBS! My Webley is throwing a wobbley and she needs sorting out!
    Well I've so far replaced missing sear screws and finally got an acceptable trigger, taken her down in power as she was a touch hot when I got her as some dozy bugger had bunged a fat washer in front of the hammer spring, and sorted a half decent scope for it. (Anyone want a quality Jeff and JennyŽ 3-9x50 with a wonky ballistic ret? ) Now the old girl just needs a touch of consistency. The power curve goes from 9.9ft.lbs at 190BAR, peaks 11.8ft.lbs at 140BAR and goes back to 11.6 ft/lbs by 110BAR. Has anyone got any ideas on how to get her running a bit sweeter?

Ta,
    Ali.
    Try not putting so much air in, say fill to 160 bar!

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Fill to 165-170 tops, no need for anymore.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Aye, but at 160-170BAR it's running about 10.5ft.lbs. currently the only way I can get any reasonable consistency out of it is at 140-110 BAR, just doesn't seem right to me as it shoots up at what seems like too low a pressure, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this and what can be done to flatten out the power curve a touch?
    Would like to try FT but being a short fat stumpy git i would look like a weeble wobbling about, spraying pellets everywhere like a deranged mafia boss

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    What sort of consistency are you getting and what are you expecting? What have you done to improve it?

Sorry for starting with questions but it looks like you've found your sweet spot.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    What sort of consistency are you getting and what are you expecting? What have you done to improve it?

Sorry for starting with questions but it looks like you've found your sweet spot.
    I'm getting a curve from 9.9 ft.lbs. to 11.8 ft.lbs over a full charge (190 to 110BAR), so about 2 ft.lbs difference start to finish. I was expecting less then 1 over a charge to be honest.
    Not done anything as of yet other than what I mentioned in the first post, only just got the gun and getting to know it, though somebody has clearly had a fiddle before. Never had a Raider before so I don't know if this is normal for them, but I was hoping for a somewhat flatter power curve as my current FN19 and the S200 I had a few years ago varied much less than 1 ft.lb (about 0.2 in the S200's case) over much the same fill pressures.

I would suggest having a look at the transfer port, someone may have opened it up a little in the past giving you a sweet spot at lower pressure for 12 ft/lbs.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Agreed, sounds like the transfer port had been drilled.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    I would suggest having a look at the transfer port, someone may have opened it up a little in the past giving you a sweet spot at lower pressure for 12 ft/lbs.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    Agreed, sounds like the transfer port had been drilled.
    Aha! Excellent thinking, I shall have a little look when time allows. Currently it's just going to have to stay as is and be used at 140BAR as the FN19 has decided to stop cocking just when we have a serious rabbit problem on the summer forage crops... Ah well, at least I can get a few accurate shots out of something!

Sounds like there is an issue with the Hammer spring to me.

Especially if there is a washer in there too.

I would have thought that an increase in transfer vent size, would have yielded much higher results in the mid of the pressure band.

I would start with the Hammer Spring.

Not expensive and probably worth doing anyway.

Does it look like its been chopped? If it has, then, next step would be to respring.

You say it was a bit hot, if it was doubling up, the transfer port is suspect too.

It might just be a silly spring that someone has put in there to give it more poke.

Then when they come to sell it, they have chopped it down a bit too much and then placed a preload spacer in.
    Dance like no one is watching.
    Sing like no one can hear.
    Scratch yourself like you think the zoom meeting has ended.