Thread: Valuation wanted for Steyr Hunting 5 QF

Valuation wanted for Steyr Hunting 5 QF

As title, in 0.177 cal and owned by me from new. This item was manufactured March 2104 and collected by me June or so of the same year. It's the standard length model with two mags and accessories in its original case, all in vgc and with no known faults. It's been little used since new as it was brought on a whim with several other new rifles around the same time.

What sort of price could I reasonably ask in the hope of a quick sale ? I realise that I'll lose a bundle on it, but as I've decided to buy something else in its place, if I hang on to it, it just won't get enough use to justify its existance.

Thanks, Vic Thompson.
    Last edited by Vic Thompson; 22-05-2015 at 07:36 PM.

Vic they are about £1750 new in the UK today. Probably the big price hit is the fact that imports are cheaper, with the euro placed where it is.

They come with a 24 month guarantee so the balance of that may be transferable, whereas buying from abroad might not be what folk would like to do.

Either way, these are stunning rifles capable of phenomenal consistency as well as accuracy, and the power can be trimmed by the owner if necessary. Just follow the video on the Steyr website.

If I was selling one I think I'd be looking for £1300 as a minimum. Good luck with the sale; which calibre by the way, we have a club member who just bought one and that has prompted several envious looks.......
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Prices can be fickle - especially for the high end stuff. The only true way to know it's value is advertise it and see if it sells, because there are not enough about to give you a good idea of what they are going for, especially as distance can make a big difference to potential buyers if they do not live nearby. There are many guns I would have bought if they were not a days travel away - or an extra £50 through a RFD and buying unseen - it's risky.

Put it up at the suggested price and knock it down £50 every couple of days - you will soon find out what it's worth.

James

these guns have always been £1700 or thereabouts, euro imports only cheap currently because of the strong GBP versus the EUR, it won't last forever ... the euro gun shops best coin it while they still can.

Quote Originally Posted by ftsefund View Post
    these guns have always been £1700 or thereabouts, euro imports only cheap currently because of the strong GBP versus the EUR, it won't last forever ... the euro gun shops best coin it while they still can.
    Er, that's not quite right, may I say. There has been some enhanced domestic competition among the Continental suppliers with one or two undercutting others on prices, and this has led to more substantial price cutting, to maintain local market share and to secure sales from additional markets such as the UK. That hasn't been driven by the low value of the Euro; one could imagine dealers wishing to take advantage of the low Euro and if anything increase their margins on UK sales but that isn't happening.

The Euro exchange rate wobbled in the run up to our election because of fears about an alliance between newlab and the SNP. Once that was either not going to happen or looking irrelevant the rate firmed again.

hi rich, totally respect your opinion as a long standing member here, but in my view the rush to buy guns from europe has been in the last year or so (I say this based from the increase in forum postings asking about importing from europe) which if you see from my eurgbp chart in the link below coincides with the fall of the euro from nov 2013. sure, shops will always compete against each other and reduce their margins, but the biggest factor for brits buying abroad is the exchange rate (& the added bonus of getting guns delivered to their front door) and according to my indicators below, the Euro is set to strengthen against the Pound at least in the short term and thats where I be putting my money. Once prices in europe equalise or near enough with those in the UK there be little point risking buying a gun from europe.

http://postimg.org/image/pss04e967/
    Last edited by ftsefund; 30-05-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Clearly if the exchange rate was disadvantageous the case for shopping overseas is more difficult to make. However, I can tell you that the Dutch market for Steyr products has seen a big change, and the retailers are offering discounts around 9 percent compared to the prices they were asking less than a year ago. One in particular told me this change of pricing strategy meant his sales to the UK have soared. He can trace that to the price cut.

There is also the fact that the VCR act does not impact on imports; we can buy from within the EU without any further import duty or VAT to pay, no customs formalities so long as the gun is within the UK limit, and it can be delivered to your door by courier. For anybody who lives a fair distance from their nearest dealer, and who knows what they want to buy without trying it out first, that is a big bonus. Instead of paying an RFD £25 handling charge, plus your travel costs, you pay 13.50 euros to have it shipped to your door.

We are getting off the subject; sorry OP, I stick with my estimate of your rifle's value. For what it's worth, having handled and shot both the full length H5 and the Scout, I find the balance of the Scout superior.