Thread: Fresh start for Improved Model D Light

Fresh start for Improved Model D Light

For total of £8.75 gave this little rifle a makeover. Biggest cost was the flap wheel. Anybody know the manufacturing date from the serial number. Found date 1912, 39 inch overall,has side release lever on cocking lever. Forerunner of Ladies or Light.

Thanks, Baz

Last edited by Benelli B76; 22-05-2015 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Found date
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

What a transformation. You would scarcely recognise it as the same gun.

John Knibbs says of the gun

Batch of guns starting 58530 and then ending 59029 - Date of manufacture - june to nov 1912, period of dispatch - june 1912-january 1913

and then he goes on to say

Mostly Standard pattern .177, and .22 , with one light pattern. 92 numbers not issued

so it looks like you may have that solitary light pattern.

Great work !!

Lakey

Lakey, I believe you are a collector down the road from me. Do you know what the normal muzzle velocity / ft lb energy these little .177 rifles put out ? Want to make a new piston washer for it, it has the original flat coil type spring fitted.

Baz

nicely done. hopefully the rust was only on the inside.
    If you make a washer - please post pics for the uninitiated like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    nicely done. hopefully the rust was only on the inside.
    If you make a washer - please post pics for the uninitiated like myself.
    The rust was only on the outside. This old BSA has one of the nicest bores I have seen in a rifle of this age. It actually shines bright silver like a new rifle. Think it has been preserved by the massive amount of grease that was in the cylinder, probably was fed a bit with each shot. I will finish off this 28 mm polyurethane washer I started, so will not fit a leather one like the original.

Baz

Very nice Barry. Don't suppose you know where there's a collet holder for sale for the little Emco do you ?
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Very nice Barry. Don't suppose you know where there's a collet holder for sale for the little Emco do you ?
    Have you tried the bay, lot of Emco collets on there. I get all my lathe tools off there. Did you see sutherland is selling a Schimel on here ?

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    The rust was only on the outside. This old BSA has one of the nicest bores I have seen in a rifle of this age. It actually shines bright silver like a new rifle. Think it has been preserved by the massive amount of grease that was in the cylinder, probably was fed a bit with each shot. I will finish off this 28 mm polyurethane washer I started, so will not fit a leather one like the original.

Baz

WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE A LATHE BUT ME?

Intrigued to know how well the polyurethane washer performs vs leather. Do tell when fitted/tested.

Also: could you possibly add a pic of the top of the air chamber showing the finish around the engraving? One off the 'before' pics showed how bad that was before, so interested to see how well it turned out.

...and (hopefully) not a 'daft' question: Presumably you striped the whole rifle down to constituent parts to degrease and reblue (ie each screw, etc) - or did you keep some parts together (eg barrel and air chamber treated as 'one')?

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE A LATHE BUT ME?

Intrigued to know how well the polyurethane washer performs vs leather. Do tell when fitted/tested.

Also: could you possibly add a pic of the top of the air chamber showing the finish around the engraving? One off the 'before' pics showed how bad that was before, so interested to see how well it turned out.

...and (hopefully) not a 'daft' question: Presumably you striped the whole rifle down to constituent parts to degrease and reblue (ie each screw, etc) - or did you keep some parts together (eg barrel and air chamber treated as 'one')?
    I have found the polyurethane gives better performance if made correctly due to producing less friction in the chamber. It is very hard wearing and resilient and that is why most manufacturers use it for piston head seals. I stripped down every part as you can see by the screw heads which I reshaped with a needle file. I hate chewed up screw heads, don't understand why people do it. I will put more photos on this afternoon when I get back from church. Missed going with my mate gingernut this morning who is on his way to Bisley at the moment.

Regards, Baz

Swapped a CZ200T for the lathe, trying to get it back now as it is a brilliant little rifle. Pics of top of chamber and right side of lever.

I noticed the screw heads, good job - I wasn't totally sure they weren't new ones.

Swapped a CZ200T for the lathe, trying to get it back now as it is a brilliant little rifle. Pics of top of chamber and right side of lever.

hard to believe it's the same gun. nice job

Collieman is offline Has a Parsnip shaped like an amusing "Thingy"
    Lakey, I believe you are a collector down the road from me. Do you know what the normal muzzle velocity / ft lb energy these little .177 rifles put out ? Want to make a new piston washer for it, it has the original flat coil type spring fitted.

Baz
    I checked my Improved Model D at 5.9ftlb (612ft/s 0.177) with RWS Hobby pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by Collieman View Post
    I checked my Improved Model D at 5.9ftlb (612ft/s 0.177) with RWS Hobby pellets.
    Thanks, confirmed what I expected. This one is doing 5.6, want to see if different type seal will improve it. If I buy it, may invest in the correct replacement flat coil spring from John Knibbs as it seems to have an old spring in it.

Baz

Collieman is offline Has a Parsnip shaped like an amusing "Thingy"
    Mine is in line for a clean up, new spring, seals and lube.

Just a couple of newer BSA's first.