Thread: Trigger weight gauge

Question Trigger weight gauge

Thinking one of these might be useful but wondering if the expense could be justified on something which would only be used very occasionally. Anybody made one up themselves?

Yes. In Lightweight Sport Rifle the trigger must be at least 500g pull weight.

Our club tester is a 500 gram weight from a set of kitchen scales, the dolly type weight not the flat type, and a length of coat hanger wire that loops round the neck of the dolly weight and has a 90 degree bend at the far end.

Place the weight on the table, place the butt of the rifle on the table, muzzle up, alongside the weight. Hook the far end of the wire over the trigger blade, and raise the rifle off the table, gently. If the trigger remains cocked when the load is taken up, the pull weight is above 500 grams.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Our club tester is a 500 gram weight from a set of kitchen scales, the dolly type weight not the flat type, and a length of coat hanger wire that loops round the neck of the dolly weight and has a 90 degree bend at the far end.

Place the weight on the table, place the butt of the rifle on the table, muzzle up, alongside the weight. Hook the far end of the wire over the trigger blade, and raise the rifle off the table, gently. If the trigger remains cocked when the load is taken up, the pull weight is above 500 grams.
    If the gun jumps out of your hands and the weight flicks upwards and the coat hanger wire goes up your nose, causing an axis for the kitchen weight to arc upwards and hit you on the forehead, before falling back and landing on your toe.

Your using it on a springer.
    Dance like no one is watching.
    Sing like no one can hear.
    Scratch yourself like you think the zoom meeting has ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Two200's View Post
    If the gun jumps out of your hands and the weight flicks upwards and the coat hanger wire goes up your nose, causing an axis for the kitchen weight to arc upwards and hit you on the forehead, before falling back and landing on your toe.

Your using it on a springer.
    I always said those BSA triggers were no good.!

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

It would take some kind of masochist to use this device on a springer. Probably the same kind of masochist who would use a springer for LSR...

At my old club a machinist made one out of a lump of brass and what looked like a bike spoke, did the job
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Yes, and they don't go out of calibration either. Maybe someone will invent a chrono made from kitchen scales and bike spokes.

trigger weight

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Rich what is the trigger weight on your AR20.

edbear2 Guest
    I made a replica Lee / Service rifle gauge to test my old BSA rifles, they should not be set much under 3 1/2 pounds (direct trigger to latch rod on these old guns), very easy to do, just find a low range (0-5 lb) spring balance, and knock up a cranked rod and roller;

http://www.milsurps.com/attachment.p...4&d=1378812883

Although this type is an ''issue'' item, obviously they are not as accurate as a true weight type, but work quite well.

Another armoury type was basically the same cranked rod idea which was used with the rifle upright in a bench rest, but this had a small platform on which you could add weights, these are more accurate, and similar in operation to how Rich describes.

Can't see the need in anything else I have, the old guns had a factory setting and an advised minimum, wheras I doubt if any modern maker would commit to giving out this info, and so much depends on the condition of the sears / latch / lube and a host of other factors that just pull weight is not how I would go about it on my HW's / TX's (I only have springers), I tend to work on a good visible amount of sear engagement, and stoning / polishing to get a crisp let off.

ATB, Ed

I just use my fishing spring balance, it's got a collar that moves with the pointer & shows the heaviest weight reached. I've had it for years & can't remember the price, but it was a cheap one.

So far looks like a visit to an angling equipment shop! Thanks all