Thread: Weihrauch tune up

Weihrauch tune up

Hi All,
    I own an early weihrauch hw77 serial no. 1006572 and recently did a v-mach tune. I did this because compared to my other springers and PCP raider, it seemed down on power and after conversation with its previous owner when buying it sometime ago, it still had its original spring. after consulting various you tube video I found one that suited my model and used it as a guide. the fitting went very smoothly and the gun now shoots very well and is up to its 12ftlb power. But there was something I noticed - on strip down my gun didn't have a beartrap slide - long SF010, beartrap slide - short SF015, beartrap spring CS112, beartrap washer W208 or stock lug B1332. All part numbers were taken off the "T W Chambers & Co" website. Could someone tell me if this is typical of my mk1 rifle? The you tube hw77 strip down I used as a guide was for a mk2, I know this because the release catches are different between a mk1 and mk2.

Hi Digweed,

Yes, that is typical of a mk1. Nothing to worry about. That's they way they were made back in the good old pre health and safety days. Keep an eye on the power: you might find it creeping up as everything beds in. But as you now know it's a relatively quick fix to remove a washer or two. A lot of people find them very nice at 10.5-11fpe.
    Enjoy your classic and always keep hold of the underlever when loading
    Last edited by Lumberjack; 18-05-2015 at 10:34 PM.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

bear trap

thanks for the info,

Incidentally, what do the extra items - namely, the beartrap slides do?

On the mk1, if it accidentally fires when you are loading a pellet into the barrel and you don't have hold of the underlever, then (i) the underlever will swing up and whack the foresight block and (ii) you'll lose half a thumb as the loading port snaps shut like a guillotine.

On later models the anti beartrap device (slide) is intended to lock the trigger when the underlever is fully engaged (gun cocked). The idea is to stop the gun firing if the trigger is accidentally pulled while you are loading a pellet.

Unfortunately the anti beartrap only locks the trigger. So if the gun accidently fires for some other reason, for example the sear engagement is too light and the gun gets knocked, then you'll still lose half a thumb.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the anti beartrap only works if all of its components are present and working properly. It has been known for the small spring to get broken/damaged. The result is that people think the device is working when in actual fact it's not.

No matter which mk you have it's good practice to keep a firm hold of the cocking lever when loading.

p.s. Some people remove the anti beartrap as it allows them to de-cock the gun.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Lightbulb

thanks for the info...
    with that in mind... I will heed your warning..

77 anti bear trap

Never heard of anyone losing a thumb with a 77 but dare say there's always a first time!...Mach 1.5

ALWAYS load under levers by placing rifle under arm pit while holding cocking lever with non pellet loading hand

Generaly pellet loading hand goes on pistol grip for cocking and rifle is then put under opposite arm pit at pistol grip, pistol grip hand then puts pellet in barrel, returns to pistol grip, so hand on cocking lever returns it. This way rifle is 'kept under control' at all times

Any accidents, as well as unfortunate for that shooter, impact us all - and correct loading procedures specific to under levers, break barrels pcp's etc, should always be followed.

Worth a visit to a club if unsure, even if you phone first and say you'd like 'text book demo' of loading as a one off and aren't interested in attending ongoing. You'll ALWAYS get a helpful response with that request from any air gun club -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34