Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coburn's mystery 'Hiki'... anyone know what the hell it is?

Coburn's mystery 'Hiki'... anyone know what the hell it is?

First Phoenix fair, and i happen to be chatting at a stand when Mr 'COBURN' of this fair board turns up with a mystery rifle.

I took pics which coburn and I have chatted over, and i offered to email them over so he could have the fun (well-earned) of posting up a 'anyone know what the hell this is?' query.

Having looked through the pics again this morning i studied The stamp on the RHS of the stock, and LHS of the spring/air chamber. They should be recognisable.... just don't know what as yet.

Both show a shield topped with a crown, flanked either side by spread wings sprouting from the shield:
    • In the metal version it is easier to see the shield contains the word 'Hiki' set diagonally in the same hand-written script as it appears solus on the butt.
    • The metalwork stamp has shorter/different text: Looks like 'TORVALD'.
    • The Wooden stock stamp (i think) shows "TORV.VEEVE", BUT the second word could be VEFVE?

Nothing shows up on searches. Hiki is a modern slang term in japanese (discounted), but TORVALD is a Danish name. However, nothing obvious results in searches (i've tried under vintage guns, emblems, flags, mottos, etc) for Danish, Swedish, Hungarian, Norwegian, Austrian....etc.

Anyway - PICS:
    http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...psfhkkjodb.jpg
    http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...pshp8h4b1j.jpg
    http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...psmofqefc4.jpg
    http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...psxmulxcqh.jpg
    http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...psbeug5qqc.jpg
    http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...pssqjbatzy.jpg

...and THIS is probably where Garvin trips in with a website he's already built unbeknown to us with over 100 pics he's already collated or taken on this hitherto unknown make...
    ...or perhaps edbear has one in his workshop he's currently reassembling....!!

[PS - let me know if i've got the links wrong]

ref the 'metal stamp' .... looks like its possibly a bad 'strike' - as though the image is slightly 'doubled'.
    Maybe that's why the text is different?

Torv. Vedve - very interesting

look up 271729867109 on ze bay!

Torv. is a contraction of a name which appears to be Hungarian.

Perhaps a Hungarian person could help.

Seems very well made.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    • the metalwork stamp has shorter/different text: Looks like 'torvald'.
    Torv.Ved.

• the wooden stock stamp (i think) shows "torv.veeve", but the second word could be vefve?
    Torv.Vedve
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Only thing I can find is the meaning of "Torv.Vedve" and it means "registered trade mark" ,so that is no help.
    It IS Hungarian language though...

------------------------------
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    Only thing I can find is the meaning of "Torv.Vedve" and it means "registered trade mark" ,so that is no help.
    It IS Hungarian language though...

------------------------------
    Frank
    Well that was one hell of a dead end therefore!

But it means the shield is the trademark and probably the gun is Hungarian... so the door is still ajar

Hissi?

The name in script on the butt looks to me like: Hißi or "Hissi"

Hiki Air Rifle

Firstly thanks to Chieffool for posting the photo's, it was good to meet up with a fellow BBS'er.

The rifle belongs to a friend of me who bought it 10 days ago at an antique fair. Its .177, 38 inches in length and weighs 5 and a half pounds. (just put it over the chrono and its very consistent at 490fps with Hobby)

We believe it to be Hungarian from the "trade mark" stamp, the mark itself is a winged crown with Hiki inside above a rising sun motif!

But as everyone who has encountered the rifle has said. Its a mystery..

Sorry to disappoint you, Richard, but this is a totally new one on me. It looks a bit like the prewar Diana mod 2 rifle in the sense it is an underlever tinplate (if those pressings count as tinplate?). And it has the butt-clenching sliding breach of the Cunox.

It looks to be in very good condition. I wonder what era it is.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you, Richard, but this is a totally new one on me. It looks a bit like the prewar Diana mod 2 rifle in the sense it is an underlever tinplate (if those pressings count as tinplate?). And it has the butt-clenching sliding breach of the Cunox.

It looks to be in very good condition. I wonder what era it is.
    i can't believe we've found something you haven't encountered before.....
    ...... YES!!!!

Seriously: i would not call this tinplate. It is pressed steel construction in part (the air chamber and underlever) but the barrel is very much 'GUN'. Actually - the press steel approach reminds me a lot of the schmeisser manufacturing process which was adopted to manufacture WW2 subs like the MP38 and MP40 from largely automotive manufacturing plants.

Even the stock and the way it is attached has a hint of the military to it.... so part of me wonders if this is a sort of military trainer perhaps?.

What Coburn hasn't mentioned is that the current owner nearly lost the top of his finger to that loading breech

I wonder if its Finnish, its got a Scandinavian or Baltic look about it.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    I wonder if its Finnish, its got a Scandinavian or Baltic look about it.
    "törvény védve"

"Protected by law" is what Google Translate says, it's Hungarian, the meaning as Frakor below pointed out.

Of course that does not necessarily mean the gun was made in Hungary - could well have been made elsewhere for the Hungarian "Hiki" company.

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    "törvény védve"

"Protected by law" is what Google Translate says, it's Hungarian, the meaning as Frakor below pointed out.

Of course that does not necessarily mean the gun was made in Hungary - could well have been made elsewhere for the Hungarian "Hiki" company.
    what....?
    ...still no info...?

Hard to believe that collectively the assembled minds and memories of this hallowed forum cannot - betwixt them - conjure up the pertinent 'gen on what is obviously a manufactured rifle with some design forethought behind it...? It obviously has history - where is it?

[and even weirder - nothing relevant via the 'hinterweb']

what....?
    ...still no info...?

Hard to believe that collectively the assembled minds and memories of this hallowed forum cannot - betwixt them - conjure up the pertinent 'gen on what is obviously a manufactured rifle with some design forethought behind it...? It obviously has history - where is it?

[and even weirder - nothing relevant via the 'hinterweb']
    Very limited production, or a prototype that didn't make it to the production stage.
    A search into engineering company's history's of the Hiki name may turn up something.
    The rising sun in the logo mmmm.