Thread: Coburn's mystery 'Hiki'... anyone know what the hell it is?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hissi?

The name in script on the butt looks to me like: Hißi or "Hissi"

**WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Hiki Air Rifle

Firstly thanks to Chieffool for posting the photo's, it was good to meet up with a fellow BBS'er.

The rifle belongs to a friend of me who bought it 10 days ago at an antique fair. Its .177, 38 inches in length and weighs 5 and a half pounds. (just put it over the chrono and its very consistent at 490fps with Hobby)

We believe it to be Hungarian from the "trade mark" stamp, the mark itself is a winged crown with Hiki inside above a rising sun motif!

But as everyone who has encountered the rifle has said. Its a mystery..

Sorry to disappoint you, Richard, but this is a totally new one on me. It looks a bit like the prewar Diana mod 2 rifle in the sense it is an underlever tinplate (if those pressings count as tinplate?). And it has the butt-clenching sliding breach of the Cunox.

It looks to be in very good condition. I wonder what era it is.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you, Richard, but this is a totally new one on me. It looks a bit like the prewar Diana mod 2 rifle in the sense it is an underlever tinplate (if those pressings count as tinplate?). And it has the butt-clenching sliding breach of the Cunox.

i can't believe we've found something you haven't encountered before.....
    ...... YES!!!!

Seriously: i would not call this tinplate. It is pressed steel construction in part (the air chamber and underlever) but the barrel is very much 'GUN'. Actually - the press steel approach reminds me a lot of the schmeisser manufacturing process which was adopted to manufacture WW2 subs like the MP38 and MP40 from largely automotive manufacturing plants.

Even the stock and the way it is attached has a hint of the military to it.... so part of me wonders if this is a sort of military trainer perhaps?.

What Coburn hasn't mentioned is that the current owner nearly lost the top of his finger to that loading breech

I wonder if its Finnish, its got a Scandinavian or Baltic look about it.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    I wonder if its Finnish, its got a Scandinavian or Baltic look about it.
    "törvény védve"

"Protected by law" is what Google Translate says, it's Hungarian, the meaning as Frakor below pointed out.

Of course that does not necessarily mean the gun was made in Hungary - could well have been made elsewhere for the Hungarian "Hiki" company.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Nice one

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...cxj6cjmr.jpg:D :-)

this is only really a very slight resemblance. The 'Hiss?Hiki?' is really solid steel pressing (not tinplate) with a very elegant and good quality stock + 'the finger-removing' breach. Definitely not a copy, and from the same 'stable'...

No , i agree

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    this is only really a very slight resemblance. The 'Hiss?Hiki?' is really solid steel pressing (not tinplate) with a very elegant and good quality stock + 'the finger-removing' breach. Definitely not a copy, and from the same 'stable'...
    but i recognized Garvins Diana 2 picture , i bought the gun a few days ago the French eureka looks a little familiar too , Bosse from sweden think it is japanese , also possible , it is a mysteri.