Thread: Hornet oddity and the H & N bullet

Hornet oddity and the H & N bullet

My CZ527 has a 1 in 16 twist and I found it would not shoot cast above 45gn...the 50/55 gn were all over the place. I settled on the H & N copper plated 45gn bullet and this is extremely accurate with 8gns of N110. My pal shoots a .223 with the H & N 55gn bullet so out of curiosity, I cadged a dozen 55gn bullets, loaded up the 8gns N110 just to see the result. The first 3 were scattered but the next 7 settled into a half inch group at 50 metres! I was quite surprised in view of the results with cast bullets. I will not normally be using anything other than the 45gn H & N but the 55gn results were surprising. The 55gn bullet is extremely accurate in the .223 with reduced loads. Hornet users might like to try some 55gn FMJ just to check the results.

amc577

And in return I'd advise you to try the 30gn Barns Varmint Grenade.

My 527 K Hornet is far more accurate with 30/35/40gn than 45gn+

Hornet

I only shoot target.....we paper punchers cannot be trusted with "hunting bullets". Think of the damage those bullets might do to the paper!

amc577

Noted, but I would have thought the Hornet a strange choice purely for targets, a bit limited

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Noted, but I would have thought the Hornet a strange choice purely for targets, a bit limited
    Cheap as chips to load if you get through a lot of rounds makes sense and capable out to 250 or further on a still day, will sort a target load for mine eventually, once the .308 and 0.223 loads are sorted!

I tried 52gr a-max through mine and they keyholed so AMC's findings may be an anomaly
    Thanks for looking

Hornet for target

I am shooting it in the club centrefire comps ......accurate as an accurate thing....holes are a bit small however!

amc577

It is a shame that there are not more target bullets readily available for the hornet
    Thanks for looking

what speeds and profiles did you try with the heavy cup and core?

I run 60gr through a 1:14 .222 barrel but they are short bullets, flat base and I found a sweet spot in the MV, too slow all over the shop, too fast even more so!!

the cast with stabilise as they are short and fat