Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats your opinion on the late Airsporters?

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Is the pellet fit an issue for the .177 version?
    A guy in our bell team uses an RB2 in .177...he has had it from new and it only gets 10 shots through it once a week for 5 months of the year, so is in great cosmetic condition. That said, I rebuilt it last year (first time apart since the mid 1990's!) and on test it made almost 1ft pound more with Wasps and similar period shorter diablos than with the AA fields which are our league supplied pellet we must use, and was noticeably smoother. Seems strange as .177 does not have the dimensional issue (5.6mm vs 5.5mm) that the older .22's have, but also found the exact same with another team member's Mk3 Webley

Just one gun, others may differ etc., but many people who say their older guns in .177 like modern pellets may not have tried period ones, I find that hobby pellets give the nearest result in feel and power to period diablos, but obviously are not the best for longer ranges.

ATB, Ed

some would say BSA springers began there decline that day[/QUOTE]
    I would agree

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the BSA Superstar http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=18 which is, IMO, better than any Airsporter post Mk2. A very under rated gun.

ATB
    Ian
    What I.J. said. The Superstar has a claim to be the best hunting underlever. It weighs a little bit less and handles faster than a 77/TX (and I am a great 77 fan, so it pains me to say so), the loading system is safer, and the trigger is nearly as good.

Like many on here, I've always thought Airsporters went downhill after the Mk2. But also that an RB2 carbine/stutzen is a very nice piece of kit.

Rowlocks. You lot have got me wanting to buy one now!

I never gave a thought to the older BSA's in .177 preferring older pellets...maybe it makes sense? Still I will find a later (cheaper?) AirSporter and no doubt a mercury in .177 in time. If I win the lottery the RB version is definatley on the list as well-this list is growing.

I never gave a thought to the older BSA's in .177 preferring older pellets...maybe it makes sense? Still I will find a later (cheaper?) AirSporter and no doubt a mercury in .177 in time. If I win the lottery the RB version is definatley on the list as well-this list is growing.
    wellcome to the joys of collecting Sir, .

parachute

I think the R B 2 , like the superstar and goldstar was the way forward with their parachute seals, heavier pistons and bigger cylinders. Just like the supersport and lightning. Nice looking guns the old airposters though.
    Rust never sleeps !

Wow just looked at Gunstar and the rifles you named are amongst the most expensive..

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Both the S'Star and G'Star were BSA's premier air rifles before the S10 in the late nineties and were terrific guns. The "Goldie" in particular was their Flagship !
    The RB2 and RB2 Stutzen featured at that time.
    Was it the "Jim and Carl articles" that used to feature in copies of AGW in that same period ?
    Jim with a Goldie and Carl with a nice HW 80 ?!
    Could be wrong but I seem to recall the 80 once belonged to a famous air gunner/angler ?
    “An airgun or two”………

one day......

I'll finally get hold of a .177 RB2 carbine. For no other reason than they're lovely and I want one
    Rust never sleeps !

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by El Garro View Post
    I'll finally get hold of a .177 RB2 carbine. For no other reason than they're lovely and I want one
    Good luck with that, they're arent that many about !
    “An airgun or two”………

I love Airsporters! I have around fourteen at the moment but let an RB2 carbine go to a mate, He loves it but it turned out to be a little pokey so he 'tamed' it to be on the safe side and it shoots superbly but only with the shroudcap removed!! With it screwed in place every shot is a flyer but when he unscrews it, the group tightens immensly!!

I acquired a mk6 in trade for a Ratcatcher and I must say, it's like new, I've not tried it out other than popping a couple of shots down the garden!!

This one is a Mk1 in .177

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

It seems that the RB is the one to buy or a MK1....I had to laugh when I read that you have 14 (?) Airsporters!!
    This makes you very special for reasons unknown to science....along with GGGr who told me he has around a dozen(?) Meteors.

Chippendale is online now Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I love Airsporters! I have around fourteen at the moment but let an RB2 carbine go to a mate, He loves it but it turned out to be a little pokey so he 'tamed' it to be on the safe side and it shoots superbly but only with the shroudcap removed!! With it screwed in place every shot is a flyer but when he unscrews it, the group tightens immensly!!

I acquired a mk6 in trade for a Ratcatcher and I must say, it's like new, I've not tried it out other than popping a couple of shots down the garden!!

This one is a Mk1 in .177

John
    Up late this morning John, I like My MKI and the RB but both are in .22 unfortunately.
    Cheers
    Mel

It seems that the RB is the one to buy or a MK1....I had to laugh when I read that you have 14 (?) Airsporters!!
    This makes you very special for reasons unknown to science....along with GGGr who told me he has around a dozen(?) Meteors.
    yes I have a long way to go to catch up both of said gentlemen above. I have the following Airsportes myself, 1965 series 2 in .22, 1979-1983 series 1 Airsporter S both in .22 and a circa late 1990,s Stutzen again in .22. My Meteor is a mark 5 standard again in .22 my first rifle and still loved.

Mmmm... this is an odd affliction, having checked I realise that I have 4 meteors do they breed?