Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats your opinion on the late Airsporters?

.25 RB add with some pics

Rust never sleeps !

Wow that looks so nice Garro! Unfortunately my budget is around half that I think thats the first RB Air Sporter that I've seen....how nice are they?

Airsporters...

Guess its all down to how they've been looked after - or not!
    My 1969(?) Mk 4, bought from someone on this site, is great to use, & has proved much better for pigeon blatting than a new HW35k which has had to be returned to the importer. My Mk 2 Sporter has not been the best, & I much prefer my Webley Mk 3.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    That may be sound advice...how much does a Mercury S in .177 go for? I have a "friendly" contest in the summer and we are using rifles that were about when we were teenagers....I dont want to start an arms race but one of my mates was in the RAF and I cant have him winning this for obvious reasons.
    I got a S in .177 of here last year for £160 it wasn't mint but ok with nice grained stock , I also picked up a very nice Mk2 in .22 from my local RFD for £75 that shoots nice at 11Ftlbs I did strip it and found that the buffer was starting to disintergrate so replaced it but a very good value rifle . Prob the best value and shooter would be a Mk3 in .22 IMHO
    A few nice rifles

Thanks for that Magnum, yours was a powerful rifle...strange how they differ? Good to know that they can kill a pigeon as it may have to deal with a Magpie! I have a psycho maggie visiting my garden-its killed 2 birds in a week, its a nutter.

Thanks for that Magnum, yours was a powerful rifle...strange how they differ? Good to know that they can kill a pigeon as it may have to deal with a Magpie! I have a psycho maggie visiting my garden-its killed 2 birds in a week, its a nutter.
    Got another 3 Mercs a .22 a Mk2 that's putting out 11.4 , a challenger that's doing 10.5 in .22 and the S in .177 that's at 9.5 I find that getting the right pellet in the .22 Mercs makes all the difference 5.6 pellets especially the Vintage Defiants
    A few nice rifles

I got an Airsporter mk6 in .177 for next to nothing a few years ago. It wasn't to difficult to strip down and reassemble. The only fiddly bits being: the trigger block doesn't sit square in a spring compressor(so I did without), there's a small bearing in the rotating breech that pings out when you remove it and you can never be sure if the breech is perfectly lined up with the barrel when you put it back in. It might be possible to see if it's centred by looking through the barrel/cylinder before the spring etc are put back in.

It's doing about 9 - 9 1/2 ft/lbs now and is great to shoot. The trigger has a short and fairly light pull and I'm sure it would group well if someone more talented were to shoot it.

I think that power level is probably the best I could expect in .177. I'd like to here if anyone's got much over 10 ft/lbs and still kept it user friendly.

I think that I would go for the .177 magnummike....it would save all the pellet hassles

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Just returning to the original question in the OP, I occasionally shoot a nice .22 RB2 Carbine complete with a BSA Sweet Sixteen scope and would recommend them proving you can get hold of one. Took me ages to get mine as the rifles "mint" and the scope I bought new !
    Mr Doe did an Airsporter article some years back in AGW with a cover pic of him shooting a Carbine. Started me "hankering" for one !
    “An airgun or two”………

Haha Airgun World must have caused a lot of us the pain of wanting! I have not seen the article but I know exactly what you mean, the object of my desire was all that magazines fault! A Whalley Crosman of all things...

Haha Airgun World must have caused a lot of us the pain of wanting! I have not seen the article but I know exactly what you mean, the object of my desire was all that magazines fault! A Whalley Crosman of all things...
    Funney you should say that see my earlier post on such not has good has it was made out in the mag has the person testing it was allso part of the companey that was makeing it more than a bit of conflict of intrest there I think

I'm not sure much has changed really, I dont think that I have ever read a review which advised you not to buy a rifle or recommend another in its place....I still keep buying the mags though!

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the BSA Superstar http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=18 which is, IMO, better than any Airsporter post Mk2. A very under rated gun.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Very nice looking gun I J, did Gamo take that idea to make the CFX or did they just copy it?

Very nice looking gun I J, did Gamo take that idea to make the CFX or did they just copy it?
    No they made the cfx , it includes has you can see many Bsa ideas, but they had then purchased BSA so it was the same companey some would say BSA springers began there decline that day