Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muskets - drive you potty!

That's the one Tac - the originals were rifled I believe.

What is 'tow' as in ' a ball of tow'?

Enfield - thanks for that. The balls I'm using have to be pushed down the barrel with the ram rod so would almost certainly stay in place with out the top wad - I'll try it.

I've been using quite a bit of priming powder too, will reduce that and try again. Thanks Gents!
    Professional Pest Control without Poisons - Trapping and snaring equipment - www.jllpestcontrol.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    The Harpers Ferry Model 1803 IS a flintlock, percussion not yet having been invented. However, many of the REAL model of 1842 muskets were converted to percussion around the time of the WoNA. As for your last comment, I agree 100% - learning to shoot a flintlock many years ago meant having to concentrate very hard on maintaining the hold while all the commotion took place just in front of my face. Consistent shooting with a gun that takes its own good time go off - twice - takes endless practice.

tac
    Thanks tac. I am not familair with the model of rifle and I was too lazy to look it up.

The "ball of tow" in front of the ball sounds interesting, I must try it.

This is all from over there right now -

Grumpa
    45 Cal.
    Loc: Pittsburgh PA
    Registered on Wed Jan 11 2012
    User Options
    Tue May 26 2015 11:36 PM - Post#1490817 New Reply

In response to tac

If it is a smoothbore, it has been altered. Zoli used the same barrels they used in their Civil War repros, just changing the outside shape. So it has shallow rifling intended for Minie balls, but it shoots well enough with patched roundballs.

I loaded mine with two 30-06 casings (neck attached) full of FFg ( about 130 grains) with no problems.

If it has been altered to smoothbore...I can't help him.

Flash Pan Dan
    45 Cal.
    Loc: Northern California
    Registered on Mon Jun 21 2010
    User Options
    Wed May 27 2015 12:08 AM - Post#1490823 New Reply

In response to tac

Tac,

100 grains may not be too much. Mike Beliveau uses 110 grains in his 20 gauge (62 caliber.) 85 grains is stout load my 54. So depending on the caliber of your smoothbore it may take 100 grains or more for it to work. Don’t be shy about experimenting with a heavier load. The other part is to measure the bore and get the right size ball for it.

smoothshooter
    40 Cal.
    Loc: Stone County, Missouri Oz...
    Registered on Sun Nov 06 2005
    User Options
    Wed May 27 2015 01:48 AM - Post#1490835 New Reply

In response to rj morrison

It may be a smoothbore version intended for the European market where rifled guns are frowned upon, even muzzleloaders by the authorities.

Zonie
    Zonie
    Loc: Phoenix Arizona
    Registered on Sat Oct 04 2003
    User Options
    Wed May 27 2015 01:58 AM - Post#1490840 New Reply

In response to Flash Pan Dan

As tac mentioned, the laws in the UK and several other countries in Europe allow owning smoothbore guns without a lot of licensing.

Because of this, several of the gunmaking companies in Italy produce their normally rifled barrels without rifling.

The companies that import these companies guns into the US don't bother importing the smoothbore versions because they wouldn't sell well here.

I note in the link tac provided that this is supposed to be a 22 guage.
    That should make the bore size about .596 inches in diameter.

Of course, this is putting a lot of faith in the ad's description of the bore size.

Anyway, if the bore is .596 I would think the .575 ball, unpatched would fall down the bore from it's own weight and shoot poorly.

With a .010 thick patch, the .575" ball should be just about right for a smoothbore and shoot fairly accurately.

At this stage in the game I think the first thing to do is to have the bore size accurately measured. At least this would tell us what sort of critter we're dealing with.
    Just Jim...

trent/OH
    58 Cal.
    Loc: SW Ohio
    Registered on Wed Aug 04 2004
    User Options
    Wed May 27 2015 05:07 AM - Post#1490877 New Reply

In response to Flash Pan Dan

Flash Pan Dan Said:
    Tac,

100 grains may not be too much. Mike Beliveau uses 110 grains in his 20 gauge (62 caliber.) 85 grains is stout load my 54. So depending on the caliber of your smoothbore it may take 100 grains or more for it to work. Don’t be shy about experimenting with a heavier load. The other part is to measure the bore and get the right size ball for it.

My Bess works better with a stout load of powder. If that ball is lumbering along, it goes where it pleases. If it is scooting along it tends to go where I send it. Now if I could just get myself to send it consistently.

Britsmoothy
    62 Cal.
    Loc: Britain
    Registered on Wed Feb 28 2007
    User Options
    Wed May 27 2015 06:22 AM - Post#1490894 New Reply

In response to tac

tac Said:
    Many thanks for that, Dan. Bill Curtis' advise was to try 100gr - obviously that is a tad too much.

Best

tac

How is 100grn obviously to much?
    Are you suggesting or assuming something?

B

Grenadier1758
    45 Cal.
    Grenadier1758
    Loc: Saint Louis, MO
    Registered on Sat Oct 09 2004
    User Options
    Wed May 27 2015 07:24 AM - Post#1490901 New Reply

In response to Zonie

As stated in the original post, a 0.575 ball can't be loaded. Therefore I assume the bore is less than 0.575. What was the powder charge? What size ball was being used that resulted in the appalling accuracy?

The first order of business is to measure the bore at the muzzle. Then check for choke. Does the bore open up below the muzzle? Are there any irregularities in the bore?

Get a ball about 0.005" smaller than the bore diameter. Use the proper wad and lube. You may need a fairly stout load of black powder for accuracy.

Thare ya go.

It would be good, at this point, to hear some input from the OP - all this transatlantic excuse-making for the odd take on firearms is getting a mite wearing, just sayin'.

tac

Thanks Tac - tried to register over there but keep failing the human capcha check - maybe 3x6 isn't 18 that side of the water!

Bore is .579" so with .575 balls I should be somewhere near. It's definitely smooth. More experimentation required!

Jamie
    Professional Pest Control without Poisons - Trapping and snaring equipment - www.jllpestcontrol.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Thanks Tac - tried to register over there but keep failing the human capcha check - maybe 3x6 isn't 18 that side of the water!

Bore is .579" so with .575 balls I should be somewhere near. It's definitely smooth. More experimentation required!

Jamie
    No worries - there are a few Brits there, though. I'll mention to Claude - the site-owner -about the difficulties you are having. Trust me, it's the BEST such site on the net, and well-worth the bother. So you've measured it, eh?

Hmmmm. It's over to you, I guess - trial and error seems to be the way to go.

tac