Thread: Cleaning black powder pistols - hand held steam cleaner use?

Cleaning black powder pistols - hand held steam cleaner use?

As we all know the enjoyment of stripping and cleaning your black powder pistol becomes a bit of a chore over time.

Just wondering if anyone has tried a hand held steam cleaner i.e. type that Home and bargain and others sell for about £15.00.

For the cylinder/nipples and barrel of my stainless Remington pistol I would think it would work a treat. However not sure about using it on my blued Colt.

Any thoughts or experience folks?

Yep, I use a steam cleaner, first I wash the pistol in hot sopy water then using the steamer to blast the muck out of the trigger and indexing system then blasting steam down the barrel and in all other parts like the hammer spring, this heats the gun up so it dries out very fast, the same goes for the cylinder after I've removed the nipples, (you get a blast of steam and sh!t in the face if you dont) tip don't pick up the cylinder unless you are wearing oven gloves, it gets very hot very quickly, mop the bore and cylinder with oil, a few drops of oil in the trigger and hammer/indexing systems, reassemble, job done!
    Kranks have a steam cleaner made to clean bp rifles
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

I use the hand held steamer with a touch of windscreen washer fluid added to the water to clean all bp rifles....then oil afterwards
    You could adapt the reservoir off the wall paper stripper or the large remote reservoir of a steam iron for same effect but longer duration

Bought one cheapo version £14.99 from B&M looks like it will suffice.