Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistols stolen-boxes left

Pistols stolen-boxes left

Guy had Walther LP53 and Webley Senior stolen, now only has boxes. Have they got any value ? The LP53 box is quite a strong cardboard with mark on lid, has cocking aid handbook and cleaning rod. Webley box has stains on lid and 3 corners on lid section split as usual. Tin of pellets half empty.

Thanks, Baz

Last edited by Benelli B76; 27-05-2015 at 12:59 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Certainly valuable items all three, Baz, especially the Webleys. I would probably put all on the auction site, separately, to get the most money back after having had the guns stolen.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Certainly valuable items all three, Baz, especially the Webleys. I would probably put all on the auction site, separately, to get the most money back after having had the guns stolen.
    l have to agree with the above advice, but the Webley box is in a bit of a state, but you might be sursprised at what you might get for it.

Sorry to hear some toe-rag has stolen the pistols. The boxes and tin certainly do retain value, which in my estimation should be...

LP53 box and accessories: No less than £75 as these items can easily add £100 to the value of a nice LP53

The Webley box is an early post war variant and ought to be worth around £60-£75.

The tin - around £60

That auction site is probably the best bet.

John

Now that airguns are classed as firearms (with regard to their sale by RFD's), isn't it time that the law treated the thieves as they would in the case of a stolen shotgun or similar, five years inside might make the scumbags think twice.
    Mel

Clearly the dumbasses should learn to nick the boxes as well.

Do their fences say I can't give you anymore as they aren't boxed.

Mel H you have a damned good point.

Hi,

I’m new to register to the forum (been lurking in the wings for a while!), so apologies if I make any rookie errors in posting. Very sorry to hear about these pistols being stolen. It is interesting, however, to see what people value the boxes at though! I occasionally see boxed examples of pistols I own for sale at fairs etc and have wondered how a dealer would react if I said "not interested in the pistol but how much for the box?". I'd probably get told where to go! If this guy does decide to sell these boxes via an auction site etc would you give us the heads up on here? I wouldn’t mind a good, original LP53 box!

Thanks

Olly

Quote Originally Posted by wilkinww1 View Post
    Hi,

I’m new to register to the forum (been lurking in the wings for a while!), so apologies if I make any rookie errors in posting. Very sorry to hear about these pistols being stolen. It is interesting, however, to see what people value the boxes at though! I occasionally see boxed examples of pistols I own for sale at fairs etc and have wondered how a dealer would react if I said "not interested in the pistol but how much for the box?". I'd probably get told where to go! If this guy does decide to sell these boxes via an auction site etc would you give us the heads up on here? I wouldn’t mind a good, original LP53 box!

Thanks

Olly
    Sorry Olly you are just a day late, sold for £50 already.

Regards, Baz

Darn it!

I might have been tempted to have had a dabble as it would have set off my pistol nicely. Never mind. Cheers for the reply Baz.

Albeit I was reading in another thread that boxes are not always the best place to store your vintage pistols and can lead them to get rust 'acne' where the pistol comes into the contact of the cardboard. Apparently the card holds the moisture that can rust the pistol.

Best

Olly

Quote Originally Posted by wilkinww1 View Post
    Darn it!

I might have been tempted to have had a dabble as it would have set off my pistol nicely. Never mind. Cheers for the reply Baz.

Albeit I was reading in another thread that boxes are not always the best place to store your vintage pistols and can lead them to get rust 'acne' where the pistol comes into the contact of the cardboard. Apparently the card holds the moisture that can rust the pistol.

Best

Olly
    Hi Olly,

Must admit I'd have paid £75 for that box and accessories, had it appeared for sale on here. Displaying or storing pistols in their boxes is fine as long as you're careful and take precautions. A little greaseproof paper and gentle rub over with an oily cloth is usually all that is required to avoid the dreaded box rash.

John

I saw Baz's boxes and was quietly confident that the 53 box would be mine for a few quid when it didn't sell on PBay.
    Which goes to show what I know!

Is it possible to make more money by selling pistol and box separately?
    Ignoring the morals of such an act!

I have sold quite a few airguns recently but I find playing with the cash is not much fun.
    So I won't be selling my boxes to add to the pile.

John - Thanks for the tip re caring for boxed pistols. The other thread advised similarly about wrapping in grease proof paper. I need to get the couple of boxed pistols I have sorted out in this way – Thankfully they have not suffered with acne!

gingernut - It’s interesting about the splitting of pistols and boxes. It is a real shame when this happens, and frankly it seems odds that the best prices aren’t achieved for boxed examples, but I watched on another forum a guy trying to sell a boxed Webley senior on one of these forums; the box included the original gubbings (instructions; advertising leaflet; barrel cleaner etc). The pistol was also in good condition. From memory I think he was after around £250. He had no interest at all so in the end he split up pistol and box with bits, selling the later on flea-bay. I recall he got about 120 for the box, leaflets etc. I then recall he managed to sell the pistol separately for £130 and thus achieved his £250 target – But no one was interested in all the collection together! Strange!

Best

Olly

That answers my question Olly!

A few years ago I was at the Beaulieu Autojumble and found a chap selling a few old airguns (as you do!)
    He had a Webley Senior in an obviously original wooden box.
    He wanted £300.
    I was younger and Webley innocent so I just bought the pistol for £100.

Dumbass!

Its all to do with rarity. I would not something slip through my fingers for the sake of 20 or 30 quid. Money is replaceable, but how difficult is it to find again the thing you are looking for. Its like my Diana model 1 tinplate, you see the pistols but how many boxes.

Baz