Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Left Right and Right Left

Taken a few leftie shots on Hunter or extremem courses. it's quite an enjoyable challenge.
    But my left trigger finger is a bit keen and eager It's like braking with your left foot
    si
    The OAKS
    SIHFT WINNERS 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

It's always best to shoot from the same shoulder as your dominant eye, to keep your head upright. Youngters usually have no problem swapping, if you're set in your ways, it will feel wrong at first.
    The worst case I saw was my Dad, who was right eyed, left handed, and used a RH 12 bore. The cast in the stock threw the barrels even further out to the left, so his head was in a really weird position.!

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    I'm righthanded but left master eye. My sight in the right eye is much worse and almost impossible to use, so I've always shot rifles lefthanded which also allows me to shoot with both eyes open which is more relaxed and helps with shooting Springers. It's been suggested that shooting this way makes you think about each shot and can produce better results, it's certainly a winner for me.

I shoot pistols righthanded which causes me to crank the wrist around a bit more to line up the sights with my left eye, but doesn't seem to affect my results.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Snooper is right about keeping both eyes open, both eyes are relaxed, so with a properly set up scope you shouldn't get any eye strain. It also helps to pick up late wind shifts, etc.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Left handed but shoot right handed , right eye dominant, but can shoudler left handed but does not feel natural!
    Falcon Prairie CS.22 Huntsmans .20 Theoben .20 & .22 FAC

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    I am right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot rifles right handed, pistols generally feel better left handed.I can swap sides and eyes with rifles or pistols quite easily, it's obviously not as comfortable as it could be when your shooting something that is not ambidextrous.
    Similar-ish. Left eye dominant, right handed, but left handed when shooting rifles (or doing anything two handed) and right handed with pistols. Confuses the heck out of me

I can play cricket either handed ... I did not practice this, I just could. Great fun standing at the wicket to play right handed then switch over to left as the bowler walked back to begin the approach.
    Unfortunately I never seemed to spend too long at the wicket ...

Cheers, Phil

I am generally left handed. With pistols I naturally my left hand, however, as many pistol grips are right handed I use my right hand in such circumstances and am just as comfortable.

Luckily I can use either eye equally although I generally use my right even when firing left handed.

With rifles I naturally rest the stock on my right shoulder - it just feels odd if I swap to my left although I am just as inaccurate if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by longsider View Post
    That brings back memories . any ideas I might have had about doing anything using my left hand were canceled out by my primary school teachers using good ol' fashioned pain .
    the ruler. the cane on the arse works the same. right or left cheek. just bend over renamed ben dover
    not realy
    did you take the teacher and smack him round the gob. it was a brilliant look. grab him and make him ben dover
    great look. headmaster smacked about a bit. max a rugby player.
    Last edited by max headroom; 28-05-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

I am basically right handed and mainly using dedicated "10 metre" guns , trying to shoot wrong handed is difficult, but even when a left hand gun is available it is no easy task but can be good fun. Oddly when my wife competed she shot my right handed FWB 300S left handed and with much success in competitions of a high standard, but she shot my right handed pistols right handed with the same success; and actually won one of the pistol comps. in the first 'Black Country Olympics' in the 70's, with an Original Mod 5 against some recoilless pistols. She said it just seemed the natural !!?? thing to do.
    Like most things " shooting" give it a go just be safe but enjoy the challenge.
    ATVB to all
    abellringer

Shot righty until I was 15. I tried to line up the sights one day and found that most of the vision was gone in my right eye. I put the gun on the left and made the shot. I think I have better trigger control with my weaker left hand as well as the fact my stronger right arm holds the gun up better for offhand shots.

I'm right handed and right eyed but have a dodgy right eye, so shoot left handed.
    It felt sooo wrong to start with but I've got used to it now.
    John
    AJS AA S410F .177, AGS 4-16x50, AAF 4.52
    Cloverleaf AA S400 MPR FT .177, MTC Viper 4-16x50, AAF 4.52
    Ratworks BSA R10 .177, MTC Viper 10x44, JSB Heavy 4.51

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Try it. It really gives the brain something new to think about. Totally weird the first few times.

I was going through a period of indifferent shooting (and to tell the truth, getting a little bored), so I switched to left hand and left eye shooting and vowed to stick with it until I considered that I had become proficient. Not only did this re-kindle my interest, when (after about two months of left only) I switched back I found that my right handed shooting had re-gained it's former standard. I suspect that my problem was something to do with sub-conscious boredom, and the change really made the old noggin sit up and pay attention again.

Also quite good for a fun competition as it is something of a leveller of ability (unless practiced).
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

my main hobby is clay pigeon shooting which I shoot left handed because my master eye is the left, but I am right handed. I also shoot air rifles left handed because of my left master eye. I have no problem holding any gun in the right handed position but targeting or moving them around would be a different matter. I have been shooting from the left side for so long now it's second nature and would be difficult to reverse. don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Try it. It really gives the brain something new to think about. Totally weird the first few times.

I was going through a period of indifferent shooting (and to tell the truth, getting a little bored), so I switched to left hand and left eye shooting and vowed to stick with it until I considered that I had become proficient. Not only did this re-kindle my interest, when (after about two months of left only) I switched back I found that my right handed shooting had re-gained it's former standard. I suspect that my problem was something to do with sub-conscious boredom, and the change really made the old noggin sit up and pay attention again.

Also quite good for a fun competition as it is something of a leveller of ability (unless practiced).
    Hmm. have you tried both eyes open. used it with pistols and it works.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.