Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left Right and Right Left

Left Right and Right Left

Has anyone tried shooting wrong handed, ie right handed when your left handed and vice versa? Going to have a go tomorrow for curiousity sake

I would have been beaten with a ruler at school for using my left hand to write never mind leftie shooting....

I am right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot rifles right handed, pistols generally feel better left handed.

I can swap sides and eyes with rifles or pistols quite easily, it's obviously not as comfortable as it could be when your shooting something that is not ambidextrous.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    yeah ,used to have to do it in one of the practical shotgun events.suprisingly
    awkward!

Alex.B. is offline Instant Idiot. Just add alcohol.
    Right handed but shoot lefty ! Stupid eye , damn you
    Give a dog a home ! Take a rescue dog home, go on you know you want to

When I was a kid I could write equally well with either hand but was dissauded from using left in school. Even now I use my left hand/arm for heavy work, use an axe left handed and lots of similar stuff tho I am right eye dominant. Be interesting to see how I shoot leftie

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Can't do it, right eye doesnt work but I am ambidextrous in most things.
    However due to the said complication, I shoot Southpaw !
    “An airgun or two”………

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    There was a Soviet Olympic pistol shot who lost his right hand and had to re-learn the whole shebang on the left side. In those days the Soviet Olympic squad 'potentials' were aptitude-selected and trained from junior school onwards, so basically this man had been constantly practicing pistol shooting every day since he was 11 or something and when he finished school he was practicing for 6 hours a day six days a week or something ridiculous. Communism had to show it was good at sport! Anyway, he was back up to his normal average left handed within a year or two.

Practice is the secret ingredient that makes up 95 per cent of success.

I consider myself ambidextrous with an air rifle as I miss things whichever way round I shoot

So im not alone after all. Welcome and hello to all fellow wonky eyed brothers....

im a natural righty too but after months of rubbish results and some time at a shottie club I was told I was strongly left eye dominant. (some years back now)

For some time I felt like Rocky learning to punch with his left as his natural hand being tied behind his back !
    After some more months I learned to shoot lefty, basically when I wasn't shooting I carried my rifle round my house constantly using only my left hand + picking it using only the left.

But yeah a leftie stock still feels totally cack-handed and uncomftorble so its AMBI for me all the way. Which kinda limits the options just a bit (fancying a daystate Wolverine C in a 303 style sporter when I get rich anyway !)

I'm sometimes forced to take shots wrong handed if I spot a target from the house as the windows only open from one side.

Back when I had a dedicated NV scope I used to find that easier to shoot right hand - left eye, than strain my neck to get right eye to it.

Try it ... it is quite good fun. At Kibworth a few years ago a few 'other hand' shots were included in the fun HFT shoots. As I said, good fun and not as easy as you might think. Mind you, one shooter was ambidextrous so had no problems.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Try it ... it is quite good fun. At Kibworth a few years ago a few 'other hand' shots were included in the fun HFT shoots. As I said, good fun and not as easy as you might think. Mind you, one shooter was ambidextrous so had no problems.
    Cheers, Phil
    I think the Quarry exteme used to do things like that. One lane you had to shoot 'opposite' hand and another you shot using your partners gun.

I'm another of those that are RH but Left eye dominant. I get approx 4-5 seconds in the scope before a start to get a grey 'tunnel' in my vision forming. I find it particularly tricky for standing shots as i find that my vision fades just as i'm getting settled onto the shot. That's why i have to re-set a couple of times. I've never tried LH shooting as it just feels....well.......spazzy
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by Big Seth View Post
    I would have been beaten with a ruler at school for using my left hand to write never mind leftie shooting....
    That brings back memories . any ideas I might have had about doing anything using my left hand were canceled out by my primary school teachers using good ol' fashioned pain .

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Cheers, Phil
    never knew i was ambidextorous in both hands and eyes until someone said use the other hand. not the w word. i is right handed but can shoot an army issue colt 45 better left handed.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.