Thread: Mystery pistol! Anyone help ID??

Mystery pistol! Anyone help ID??

Hi all

A lad on Facebook asked if I knew anything about this pistol but I must admit that i'm a bit stumped!!

It looks like it says Norical Zip on the side, these are the only two pics he sent, I think he's thinking of buying it, I thought it was a Spanish Norica as did the lads father but the owner thinks it far Easternm European!!

Pic 1

Pic 2

Actually, The first letter looks like an 'M' to me now

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Is it a later version of a hy-score pistol ?
    Rust never sleeps !

Quote Originally Posted by El Garro View Post
    Is it a later version of a hy-score pistol ?

I said to the lad that the grips looked similar to my HyScore sporter but on the close up pic, they're wood grips , Mine are black plastic

I think it's older than the HyScore myself, Also it looks like Monkey metal (Zinc alloy or Mazak) The HiScores are steel...

Cheers, john

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi all

A lad on Facebook asked if I knew anything about this pistol but I must admit that i'm a bit stumped!!

It looks like it says Norical Zip on the side, these are the only two pics he sent, I think he's thinking of buying it, I thought it was a Spanish Norica as did the lads father but the owner thinks it far Easternm European!!

Pic 1

Pic 2

Actually, The first letter looks like an 'M' to me now

Cheers, John
    Mondial Zip, John. I think it's missing a barrel...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

aimless Guest
    Yes, it is a ZIP mondial produced by Modesto Molgora, Mailand. Produced between 1984 to 2000.
    b.r. Jochen
    Last edited by aimless; 30-05-2015 at 06:19 PM.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Mate of mine bought one when i was at college, though built of pot metal they were quite good pistols.
    I remember first time out my mate was shooting at a beer tin down falmouth harbour. The tin was drifting further & further out & he wasnt hitting it. I asked for a go & he gave me the pistol loaded, i snapped a shot from the hip & drilled the can at a good 25 yards which promptly sank. There were 3 witnesses & i handed it back with a nonchalant blow across the muzzle! Couldnt do it again if i tried!

Zip Air Pistol made by Mondial of Italy. Introduced in 1976. See "Guns Review" July 1976.
    More info in Collector's Guide to Airpistols 3rd edition by Dennis E. Hiller p.253
    And as Garvin pointed out missing most, if not all of its barrel

atb
    dogsbody

Must be worth all of £20... if it had a barrel.

As is, worth a trip to a skip!
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Ha ha!!

Thanks everyone!!

I'll pass the info on and tell him to leave well alone!!

Cheers, John

Nice grips for a pistol which was presumably meant for the lower end of the market.

Regards

Brian

Nice design

I'd buy it for £20 even without the barrel ....makes a change to the usual rough Scorpions and oversprayed ( a la thick pudding black ) Webleys from the same periods .

Thumbs up

The best of it, I picked up my copy of The collectors guide to Airpistols up and it fell open at exactly the page for this gun! (Page 253!) It always drops open at the page as it's falling apart and that is the first page that has let go!! (Rubbish quality book

Ooof!! Ha ha ha!!

John

aimless Guest
    to my post # 5:
    this model is described in "Die Luftpistole - 3rd ed. " by B.Brukner page 68f as: built between 1984 - 2000.

This book is the most comprehensive book for airpistols in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by hebhaggis View Post
    I'd buy it for £20 even without the barrel ....makes a change to the usual rough Scorpions and oversprayed ( a la thick pudding black ) Webleys from the same periods .
    You probably wouldn't if you had a look inside, your "rough Scorpions" are precision engineering in comparison.

The innards are almost certainly monkey metal, including the cylinder. At least that was what my Oklahoma was like (same factory similar gun).

Barrel catch had broken (monkey metal) so not repairable, had to hold barrel up by hand... then the cylinder gave up where the pins at the rear retain the mainspring... not repairable, so the external shell (what you can see) ended up standing in for a rear cylinder block. Oh and did I mention that the barrel and breech was monkey metal too, barrel lined with a brass sleeve.

These guns were little more than functional toys built down to a (very low) price.

But lots of fun for a 10yr old...
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS