Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annealing torch.

Annealing torch.

As there a few of my friends who reload and due to lack of space, they have nowhere to clean their brass, I have a tumbler, so I tumble and clean their brass for them, no money changes hands apart from a few quid that goes into a charity box now and then, one asked if I could anneal some cases for him, I don't do this at the moment, but if needs be, I could get the gear and do it, the lads have all offered to chip in and buy the required equipment and I keep it, I've looked on Youtube and watched the videos of the various ways and methods, it seems the cheapest way is to get a propane torch and spin them in my drill to heat up the necks, my question to the forum is, what do other members use and what is a good torch to buy that won't break the bank?

Ta.

its a bit of trial and error i think with the some known guidance. I'm going to try it soon.

For temp protection I'll be using 750 Tempilacq for the neck and 450 for the body.

some GOOD reading HERE on 6mmBR

My annealing will be rather basic. Hopefully consisting of a MAP gas burner / cordless drill with an appropriate length long socket to turn the case - usually this seems to be about 5-8 seconds per case but gain this will be trial and error.
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

All I use is a £20 torch from wicks a cordless drill a annealing cup from Davy at the shed and a timer app on my iPhone. Works great for me. The cup from Davy is worth its weight in gold !!

just seen this Danny ...thank you for the heads up

thats a bargain pal

HERE
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Stand the rounds in a tray with water up to the shoulder (this keeps the main body cool) then heat up with a propane torch till cherry red, job done

Quote Originally Posted by Ray7756 View Post
    Stand the rounds in a tray with water up to the shoulder (this keeps the main body cool) then heat up with a propane torch till cherry red, job done
    I'll try that, be worth a go always done it fingers turn then plop into water method haha

Why bother with the water? If you do it properly you don't need to quench the cases.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenC View Post
    I'll try that, be worth a go always done it fingers turn then plop into water method haha
    Cherry red is too hot and the brass is useless now
    I use a blow torch in a dimly lit room and rotate brass in a drill and heat up until it changes to blue then dunk in water

Why bother w/water?

Most don't, but....

£160 for a another carpet in someone's reloading room (his missus calls it the spare bedroom )

when a hot case tumbled off tray and scorched a new carpet, just fitted . He dunks them now.

Just saying, like.

He may see this and comment (or if Loiner tells him lol).......

Quote Originally Posted by roughshooter View Post
    Why bother w/water?

Most don't, but....

£160 for a another carpet in someone's reloading room (his missus calls it the spare bedroom )

when a hot case tumbled off tray and scorched a new carpet, just fitted . He dunks them now.

Just saying, like.

He may see this and comment (or if Loiner tells him lol).......
    Lol........that's why I do it in the bathroom over the sink
    Remember when he shot through the curtains and thought she will never notice.....until she closed them lol

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    Cherry red is too hot and the brass is useless now
    I use a blow torch in a dimly lit room and rotate brass in a drill and heat up until it changes to blue then dunk in water
    I understood that just as it starts to go pink is about the right annealing temperature, but certainly cherry red is too much!!!!

If in doubt on temptation buy some indicating fluid!!

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by dannywayoflife View Post
    If in doubt on temptation buy some indicating fluid!!
    You really, really need to sort your predictive text out Dan.

I use a shed holder in a cordless and just play the point of the flame on the junction between shoulder and neck. Just as it starts to glow you get a change in flame colour...this seems to work.

The point of standing cases in water was on a small turntable so that the heat did not transfer to the head and was nothing to do with stopping the annealing process dead (or protecting carpets...I guess darwin never did any annealing). It makes no odds with brass whether they are quick or slow cooled apparently.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Doh!!!! Only just seen that Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    You really, really need to sort your predictive text out Dan.

I use a shed holder in a cordless
    I assume you meant shell holder? Predictive text can be a bitch at times.

Jonathan.