Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Annealing torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I assume you meant shell holder? Predictive text can be a bitch at times.

Jonathan.
    Pmsl

My way

Now Loiner 1965 and roughshooter have finished taking the piss out of me (yes it was me that melted a carpet) I'll chip in.

I've found that once you've done a few you start to be able to identify when a case is cooked to perfection. I prefer to do it in a room with natural light but if it's too bright I close the curtains a little to dim it down. If you don't want to use a heat reactive agent every time it's best not to have your cases too shinny as thes hides the change.

I use a slow speed cordless drill as this makes the colour change a lot easier to determin.

Run the torch for a couple of minutes prior to starting on the first case as this heats the nozzle and helps the flame to be stable, have it on a medium sized flame

I run the case neck I the flame just above the neck shoulder junction approx 1 1/2" from the nozzle as I found that the case neck doesn't soot blacken as much at that point.

As the case neck heats up it will get shinny then start to change to a petrol on water blue colour. I watch as this spreads down the shoulder and approx 1/4 to 1/2" down the body the. Drop it into a large bowl of water. The quenching in water is not a step that has to be done but can save you a lot of money by stopping you dropping hot cases on the carpet.

What ever you do don't let them get cherry red or ever orange as they are then too soft which will give crap neck tension and need scrapping.

You don't need to buy the annealing cups at £15 each just use 1/4" drive sockets of the right diameter from an auto spares place or tool station for about £3 each plus £2 for the stem to go in the drill chuck. You'll get enough to do 3 or 4 calibers for less than on annealing cup. I use standard depth ones for 223 size cases and deep ones for 30-06 size ones.

This is my method an adaptation from things I learnt on YouTube hope it helps.

Rick

PS if Ive been lazy and have 300 or more to do I send them spud!
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....

I've used sockets and the case studs from lee and the annealing cups from Davy are worth every bloody penny!