Thread: Setting up Lee 4-hole turret press

Setting up Lee 4-hole turret press

I'm setting up my Lee 4-hole turret press. I am a complete novice and will shortly be having a lesson from a very experienced chap in reloading before trying anything stupid myself (first off will be .38/.357).

In the mean time though in advance of the lesson I'm curious how critical the height setting of the dies is aside (of course) for the bullet seating die? I'm just sat here wondering whether to tighten any of the lock rings. I can set the bullet seating die with a dummy round, but am wondering how to set the height of the other two dies.

It doesn't matter in that I can adjust them when the time comes, but am curious for now.

didnt you get any instructions with the dies ?

have a look here
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    The re-sizer/decapper die should be set so that the shell holder plate just touches it at full stroke - that is to get the maximum re-size sweep over the case.

I think that there are more than one versions of the neck flare die. On the basic one the die position determines how far the flaring die enters the case mouth - the higher the die the less flare you get. Go for the absolute minimum neck flare for best case life. I think there might be a more sophisticated one with a separate flare adjustment.

If you have a combined bullet seat and crimp die, then the die position determines the strength of crimp (you can overdo this and kink the case) and the knob on top adjusts the bullet seat depth. Adjusting the crimp will affect the seating depth but not vice versa. I find a minimal crimp works fine and again will extend case life. Crimp has a surprising effect on velocity and accuracy IMO.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Jimbo,
    As said sizer die to shell holder or even a further turn in.
    Seating die does slight taper crimp at top of movement, so follow Lee instructions.
    Expander die, is just perseverance, you want as little expansion as possible, just enough to allow the bullet into the case without damage. This prevents too much work hardening of the case this extending life.

I have mine set up if you want to bring some 357 cases down to have a go. PM me, I'm in all day tomorrow and evening.

Craig (IVSC)

Quote Originally Posted by Jehoolio View Post
    Jimbo,
    As said sizer die to shell holder or even a further turn in.
    Seating die does slight taper crimp at top of movement, so follow Lee instructions.
    Expander die, is just perseverance, you want as little expansion as possible, just enough to allow the bullet into the case without damage. This prevents too much work hardening of the case this extending life.

I have mine set up if you want to bring some 357 cases down to have a go. PM me, I'm in all day tomorrow and evening.

Craig (IVSC)
    Hello Craig

Jim (IVSC)

Full set-up & operating instructions can be down loaded from the Lee web site.

Thanks for all the replies. Craig, I'll probably take you up on your kind offer but I think I have meetings / places to be most of this week so will be in touch in due course of that's ok?

Jim