Thread: Airsporter RB2 queries

Airsporter RB2 queries

Firstly, what a great rifle. Secondly, what pellets are recommended accuracy wise (.22)?
    Thirdly, some of the varnish has chipped off on mine and left ugly scars- can I strip off the outer finish with varnish stripper then oil finish without removing the very attractive dark stain? Thanks guys.

hi there : regarding improving the appearance of the stock, here's an article on stock refinishing which might help (http://www.airguntech.com/?p=163), but in my experience if it's got a Beech Stock it'll be hard to refinish to a good even standard as the stain doesn't penetrate evenly and deeply into the wood in the first place and it's likely that stripping the finish off will expose bare wood everywhere. Having said that with care and lots of time and attention to detail, good results can be obtained.

JMHO, Vic Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH123 View Post
    Firstly, what a great rifle. Secondly, what pellets are recommended accuracy wise (.22)?
    Thirdly, some of the varnish has chipped off on mine and left ugly scars- can I strip off the outer finish with varnish stripper then oil finish without removing the very attractive dark stain? Thanks guys.
    Bisley Superfield, Superdomes, Crosman Ultra Mag / Accupel, Falcon Lights, Bisley LRG
    Not the usuals, some longstanding less popular stuff may be tops in your Airsporter .
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    As has been said, refinishing a stock can be difficult to achieve a consistent overall finish.
    If you strip off the original finish - you will also remove the stain.
    Beech wood has a naturally light colour finish - it's often stained to replicate walnut or other darker finishes.
    Think of wood as a bunch of drinking straws stuck together - that is what it looks like under a microscope with open cells in one direction - now apply paint/stain to that bunch of straws and note the open ends 'drink' up the paint/stain.
    This results in darkening of the open end grain, therefore a patchy finish.
    Manufactured finishes apply a sealant first to block up the ends of the grain, therefore preventing the grain drinking up the darker colour.
    The finish of choice is then applied to give a uniform finish.
    Dont ask me what sealant is applied - I am not a painter/finisher - maybe someone else knows.
    Is the finish that bad?
    It's part of the rifles originality, also it's 'history'.
    The choice is of course yours - good luck, the RB2 is a fine example of the Airsporters, I don't have one - yet, a carbine model would be nice!
    Try the new pellet for the older barrells. (Defiant Vintage 5.6mm)
    ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Thanks for that guys- have some LRG and Superdomes so will try those.
    Its the sort of varnish that blisters off on impact with ugly white edges- looks cheap then rather than characterful I think but will try a bit of local tlc rather than a full strip.
    Can anyone advise how to adjust the trigger setting allen screws- cant seem to find a manual online!
    Thanks

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Most of mine old and new like RWS Superdomes both in .177 and .22 cal.
    Cant help you with the stock finish. I've a few atempts over the years with BSA stocks and never really got the finish I would like. They're are one or two really clued up Guys on here though that will give you good advice !
    As for trigger adjustment, again BSA triggers on Airsporters were not that great and I find that you cannot get "a good degree" of satisfaction from adjusting the triggers.
    “An airgun or two”………

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    On Airsporters/Mercuries, you quite often have to look at the finish/condition of the trigger sears - if they are rough, they will cause drag and inconsistancies. They can be dressed smooth with a fine file but don't take off any material other than the burrs/rough patches and then apply a good gun oil or grease. Should improve things - you don't want a mirror finish though as you can end up with a hair trigger and propensity for accidental discharges - ooh er Mrs!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.