Thread: High quality pistols?

High quality pistols?

So I recently acquired a Makarov Co2 pistol made by baikal, I'm blown away by the robust quality, it really does feel like real steel, it is a little rough around the edges but being of Russian origin it's to be expected.

So my question is are there any other Co2 pistols like the makarov in terms of build quality and metal quality, I'm really not interested in any of the cheap (or sometimes expensive) monkey metal zinc alloy crap that are floating around I'm after something built to last that feels realistic in the hand and replicates the firearm it's mimicking, I dislike the split slides and rotary magazines (unless it's a revolver of course) some pistols have.

The only one I've seen that could be a possible candidate was one of the Dan Wesson revolvers they seem pretty faithful to the real deal.

Any recommendations or is the makarov unique? I did read about a tokarev that was made from the real steel but it's illegal over here as it was once a firearm so can never be made legal according to the law.

Many thanks
    Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynabal View Post
    So I recently acquired a Makarov Co2 pistol made by baikal, I'm blown away by the robust quality, it really does feel like real steel, it is a little rough around the edges but being of Russian origin it's to be expected.

So my question is are there any other Co2 pistols like the makarov in terms of build quality and metal quality, I'm really not interested in any of the cheap (or sometimes expensive) monkey metal zinc alloy crap that are floating around I'm after something built to last that feels realistic in the hand and replicates the firearm it's mimicking, I dislike the split slides and rotary magazines (unless it's a revolver of course) some pistols have.

The only one I've seen that could be a possible candidate was one of the Dan Wesson revolvers they seem pretty faithful to the real deal.

Any recommendations or is the makarov unique? I did read about a tokarev that was made from the real steel but it's illegal over here as it was once a firearm so can never be made legal according to the law.

Many thanks
    Simon.
    The Dan Wessons are actually nothing like a Real Dan Wesson pistol, they are made of "Monkey Metal zinc alloy crap" and are just a modified Wingun design with the Dan Wesson logo printed onto them. Not bad guns though, I have 3 of various ages and they all shoot well.

With regards to the Makarov, there is not much else like it though I think the quality of most replicas is fine for what you pay for them. Unfortunately to make one from steel to firearms quality would mean you pay firearms prices.

I'm with you on the split slides and rotary magazines but you have to think what you want one of these guns for. I have no illussion that I am shooting a DWM Parabelum when I shoot my KWC P08 but it is excellent fun, is tin can accurate at 10 metres and cost very little for the amount of fun I get from it. My Umarex Berretta is higher quality, slightly more accurate but is boring and annoying to shoot and use.

What other guns have you actually looked at ?
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Most of the Co2 pistols I've played with in the past have been either made of abs or that nasty fake metal but this was years ago so maybe I'm being a little harsh on newer zinc alloy guns.

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    ....Umarex Berretta is higher quality, slightly more accurate but is boring and annoying to shoot and use....
    Of all the Umerex Rotary 8 Mag pistols, the 92fs has to be the most hefty, and looks great with dark walnut grips...but as you say not the best to shoot.

The Umerex Smith & Wesson 586 is a well made solid pellet pistol...relatively decent trigger and very accurate. Lacks the realism of the drop out shells, but preferable in terms of build quality and performance. The older glossy models look/feel best.

Cynabal, you may find this interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekpi3pDAB_w

Quote Originally Posted by Cynabal View Post
    Most of the Co2 pistols I've played with in the past have been either made of abs or that nasty fake metal but this was years ago so maybe I'm being a little harsh on newer zinc alloy guns.
    If you are happy with the finish on the Dan Wesson guns then most newer guns will probably appeal.

ABS annoys me, I do not find Mazak and similar metals to be too bad in these guns. Some of my 20+ guns are from the late 90's and still shoot like they did when new.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Don't know why people are against Zamak/ Mazak its been around for years and so have the pistols that are made from it and have no corrosion. A lot of steel pistols from years ago are pitted with rust and seized up but the Zamak ones look like new. Have a look at the S&W 78 and 79G most look like new. My old Schimels which are almost as old as me and were made of poor quality Zamak are like the day they were made and work perfectly. We do not need steel pistols as there are no high pressure involved like 34,000 psi for a 9mil parabellum, so whats the point ? Even most modern pistols now do not have steel in a lot of the costruction only where there is high pressure.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

My brother has had a fair few of these guns.
    They are not my cup of tea, the only air pistol I have is a 2240, which is just a Rat Hammer for when I can't reach them or my forceps won't reach and my Ferret is in his hutch at home.
    I have had to correct my brothers guns a fair number of times and it has never been down to Mazak or other cheap materials in upper or lowers etc.
    I think they are ok, but the other trashy little cheap components such as seals and springs usually cause the issues.
    My only concern is that Mazak may not survive a fall onto a hard surface.
    My advice is "don't drop it."

I dont think a CO2 Multishot could be an olympic gold medallist. That said, they seem to be loads of fun for the shooters.
    Perhaps the neighbours don't think the same.
    Dance like no one is watching.
    Sing like no one can hear.
    Scratch yourself like you think the zoom meeting has ended.

I love my Baikal Makarov too, you'd swear you had a real gun in your hand.
    I prefer the idea of real steel replicas, but then I'm not willing to pay four times the price!
    So I'm content with any metal, and a gun that most closely resembles the original.
    Some that stand out are;
    Tanfoglio Witness
    Colt 1911 Government A1
    Beretta M92-FS
    Walther CP88
    Sig Sauer P-226
    Colt Peacemaker SAA Blued
    Smith& Wesson 586-6
    M712
    Webley & Scott MKVI