Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: colt peacemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I managed to obtain a nickel example from another member on here and it has placed a huge smile on my face. At just under 2 lbs in weight and correctly proportioned, this is just the thing to keep to hand while watching DVDs such as Young Guns or Posse What, nobody else does this? Just me then...

I like the slightly off white grips, which resemble ageing ivory really well. My main gripe is the hammer at rest position. It sits too far back and makes the pistol look as though it is on half cock. I appreciate the hammer must rest away from the valve but am sure a better solution is possible. Particularly as the rest of the pistol is so good.

A cleaning/clearing rod is worth keeping to hand. I got carried away with my first CO2 powerlet and ended up getting a copper coated lead ball stuck in the barrel due to ever decreasing power. Lead or lead coated ball is better that steel BBs as it is more accurate and safer due to less risk of ricochets. I felt a slight blast of CO2 on my wrist with every shot but as there are potential gaps between rear of cartridge and valve, then front of cylinder and barrel, I guess it's inevitable. MV averaged 354 FPS with H&N copper coated lead ball, so certainly good enough to mangle tins at 6 yards. Accuracy with the low profile fixed sights is good enough to group within 2 inches of the point of aim at 6 yards but bear in mind this is not a match pistol. It's best described as a replica that works.

I'd advise against 'fanning' the hammer in wild west fashion for two reasons. Firstly you need a heck of a big backstop to be safe and secondly the lockwork may well suffer and wear creep in if the pistol receives hard use. The lockwork is of a very high standard, as is the rest of the pistol. Cocking the hammer gives you that 3 stage click so beloved of Hollywood sound effects and the trigger releases with a reasonably light pressure.

The 6 cartridges, as supplied are nowhere near enough for a serious session on the range. If one or more is damaged or lost, you won't get 6 shots from this revolver. Spare 'shells' are essential then but I haven't been able to order any from the States due to postage restrictions. Am trying a German site but they don't accept Paypal, so spares may be expensive!

I'll review in greater detail in Airgun World but in the meantime, if you're thinking of buying one of these, do so as I don't think you'll be disappointed. I haven't had so much fun in years and am looking forward to watching Young Guns for the umpteenth time tonight when Jo goes out!

John
    When are you bringing it down the range then John

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

I get 4 clicks on the hammer
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    I get 4 clicks on the hammer
    I think the fourth is the cylinder indexing rather than a hammer click

John

Quote Originally Posted by Prone Shooter View Post
    When are you bringing it down the range then John

Bob
    Hi Bob,

I would use it for the Man V Man on Tuesday but Bryn won't let me! Something about it being a Webley only event

Will probably bring her down for a play on Tuesday evening though. Just need to source a hogleg holster.

Kind regards,

John

Hi Bob,

I would use it for the Man V Man on Tuesday but Bryn won't let me! Something about it being a Webley only event

Will probably bring her down for a play on Tuesday evening though. Just need to source a hogleg holster.

Kind regards,

John
    This is the guy I used for my holster rig http://www.pistol-leather.co.uk/Hols...gs%20Belts.htm you won't be disappointed if you order from him, the leather work is top grade.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, but mostly I just sits.

I think the fourth is the cylinder indexing rather than a hammer click

John
    On a real peacemaker the four clicks are parts of the action turning and locking so as Far as I am concerned a click is a click
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    On a real peacemaker the four clicks are parts of the action turning and locking so as Far as I am concerned a click is a click
    I'm sure mine is a real one and not a figment of the imagination

Quote Originally Posted by hedgemumper View Post
    This is the guy I used for my holster rig http://www.pistol-leather.co.uk/Hols...gs%20Belts.htm you won't be disappointed if you order from him, the leather work is top grade.
    There are some lovely rigs on this site but no email address. The 'Email me' option does not work for me, so don't suppose you know John Beattie's email addy?

Kind regards,

John

There are some lovely rigs on this site but no email address. The 'Email me' option does not work for me, so don't suppose you know John Beattie's email addy?

Kind regards,

John
    Hi, you could try this one - johnbt92@yahoo.co.uk

Kind regards,

John
    When I click the 'Email me' option it works for me (on iPad) the address that comes up in my send email to option is, john@pistol-leather.co.uk I'll do a bit more searching and see what comes up.

Edit: just seen his Facebook page and it gives the same email address as I have given so you're good to go on that one.
    Last edited by hedgemumper; 04-07-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks both. Will try an email as I do like the look of some of those rigs.

John

Thanks both. Will try an email as I do like the look of some of those rigs.

John
    The one I went for is ref No: w151, it's a stunning rig and I had all the inert rounds added to the hoops because I'm sad like that

Nice stuff, but nearly as much to buy as the pistol.

I've just received an email from Cardigan Sports stating they have a limited supply of SAAs in stock.

Looks like they have finally hit UK shops

John
    I have been told this is the case!

Next week should prove interesting as I have three on order.
    On the basis I wouldn't be successful!

Bit like buses I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgemumper View Post
    The one I went for is ref No: w151, it's a stunning rig and I had all the inert rounds added to the hoops because I'm sad like that
    Great minds must think alike as that is one I have requested a quote on!