Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: colt peacemaker

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Has anyone tried using the Dan Wesson Pellet cartridges with the peacemaker yet ?
    The Peacemaker cartridges are available from Germany or U.S. dealers on that auction site. Just search under Colt air pistol rotary magazine or similar. At present FX rates, a pack of 6 works out at around £15 posted. I wouldn't recommend altering existing cartridges.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    The Peacemaker cartridges are available from Germany or U.S. dealers on that auction site. Just search under Colt air pistol rotary magazine or similar. At present FX rates, a pack of 6 works out at around £15 posted. I wouldn't recommend altering existing cartridges.

John
    Thanks chaps.

I'm not intending to alter existing cartridges, I am just wondering of the DW Pellet shells fit in. Though not cheap they are far superior ro any of the other shells available and pellet you shoot pellets.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

DW shells,bb and pellet fit.
    So do Webley shells.
    But the Colt ones load from the rear so the others would not work as well?
    Not going to try in my new Colts tho.

Could you put a .177 pellet in the cartridges or would it damage the gun/cartridge?

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    DW shells,bb and pellet fit.
    So do Webley shells.
    But the Colt ones load from the rear so the others would not work as well?
    Not going to try in my new Colts tho.
    That's what I am thinking. I'll give it a try if I pick one up and see what happens, as long as there is a good seal on the back of the cartridge I cab't see there being too much of a drop off in power.

I have DW bb and pellet shells, Webley shells and soon the Colt ones. Was hoping to try and standardise on the DW pellet shells (No go with the Webley unfortunately).
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Could you put a .177 pellet in the cartridges or would it damage the gun/cartridge?
    I've tried non lead Diana Green in a Colt shell and they work ok, although I have not undertaken any serious accuracy testing with lead pellets. The fact ammo loads from the rear of the shell suggests lead pellets ought to work and I'll perform more practical testing one of these days.

I happened to find some very old 4.5 mm H&N lead ball earlier this week and they shot better and harder than anything else I have tried in the Colt. I've just ordered a few tins of Nr 11 4.50 mm ball from Germany as a result.

John

I have shot quite a lot if pellets through mine and I found that pellets were more accurate than lead balls(Gammo) although both were better than steel BB's
    I tend to load the cartridges while they are still in the gun as I have found this more convenient.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    I tend to load the cartridges while they are still in the gun as I have found this more convenient.
    I must admit to cheating in this way too on occasion

John

Love my silver one, writing is not so obtrusive, but I may be tempted to get the blued one in the future especially if I can get it at the same price as this one. Trying different ammo it seems to like CO2PELLS and they are re-useable.

Baz

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...psqgf3ql0s.jpg
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Been shooting pellets , lead BB's and steel BB's . The lead bb's were some old .177 gamo's when shot through the chrono were quite a bit down on velocity at about 250fps but did not weigh one , JSB 8.44g were 350fps and the steel bb's were the fastest at about 380fps not had chance to weigh one of them either . The most accurate projectile I found up to now out of my Colt are RWS superdome but not had a chance to chrono them yet . So quite a bit to do then
    A few nice rifles

Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    Been shooting pellets , lead BB's and steel BB's . The lead bb's were some old .177 gamo's when shot through the chrono were quite a bit down on velocity at about 250fps but did not weigh one , JSB 8.44g were 350fps and the steel bb's were the fastest at about 380fps not had chance to weigh one of them either . The most accurate projectile I found up to now out of my Colt are RWS superdome but not had a chance to chrono them yet . So quite a bit to do then
    Thanks for sharing mate.
    Bit strange those readings, the gamo lead balls are 8.18gr maybe the lower FPS was because they are a much tighter fit in the cartridge and barrel compered to the pellets, The steal BB's are 5.2 - 5.4gr..

Although when i get my peacemaker i will only shoot steel BB's in it, i will do the same velocity tests as well, its all fun.. Watch the skirts on the pellets dont damage the seal on the end of the cartridges though mate i hear that can happen.

ATB, Marc..
    Last edited by Marc.RG1; 28-07-2015 at 04:02 AM.
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

We have a couple at our club including mine that put steel bbs out at 417-420 fps. The plastic body of the CO2PELLS are a tight fit in the cartridges and slow down to below 300 fps even though they are very lightweight. These colts can be quite accurate for a bb revolver but you just have to be lucky getting a good one that groups better than average.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

The lead BB's did seem a little tight on loading thought that maybe the reason for the low velocity , I did recover 1 fired lead BB and it did seem a little flattened around the contact area from the barrel
    A few nice rifles

Quite possibly preaching to the converted but if not and in the spirit of pointing fellow Colt SAA
    fans in the direction of some very worthwhile videos about the real thing I highly recommend you type Hickok45 into YouTube.

This guy can shoot! And his shooting range is quite something.
    He is also a good talker, teacher and historian, covering all types of guns but my favourites are the guns of the west of which there are lots.

If you haven't seen his (many) videos you could be in for a treat
    Warning - it can become very addictive!! I've been watching him for a few years now and am rarely if ever disappointed.

Hope you enjoy

ATB
    Hombre
    I'm not stuck in the past, I just prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
    Quite possibly preaching to the converted but if not and in the spirit of pointing fellow Colt SAA
    fans in the direction of some very worthwhile videos about the real thing I highly recommend you type Hickok45 into YouTube.

This guy can shoot! And his shooting range is quite something.
    He is also a good talker, teacher and historian, covering all types of guns but my favourites are the guns of the west of which there are lots.

If you haven't seen his (many) videos you could be in for a treat
    Warning - it can become very addictive!! I've been watching him for a few years now and am rarely if ever disappointed.

Hope you enjoy

ATB
    Hombre
    I'll second this recommendation. This is the kind of shooting instructor I wish I'd had when I were a nipper. Agreed his range is quite something. It's good to see classic guns being tested on targets other than paper too.

John