I use a Hakko 8-32 x 56 - and I wouldn't say it encourages me to take shots that are "too far" Yes, there have been instances where I shouldn't have taken a shot but have, but that was down to frustration not the scope mag. (as it happens the shot I was thinking of was probably the best shot I ever made... but that is beside the point)

With a side-wheel focus scope you are able to get a confirmation of range and therefore a better idea of "point of aim" it still won't make anyone a better shot for holding steady or estimating drift, but it helps me for shot placement. On the against side target acquisition can sometimes be an issue if you have it wound-up, 20x is usually more than adequate and many compete at 10 x or even less.

Now to what you asked...

A Tasco Custom shop used to be the way to go when I was really in to my shooting (or Hakko in my case)

For these days the Falcon, MTC or Hawke Sidewinder series seem pretty good on performance / £? BUT I have been out of shooting as my prime hobby for 7 or 8 years.

Many years ago I found myself having won a Hawke Scope during a test for a fledgling HFT test shoot (Cheers Sparky) I didn't realise there was a prize until Sparky thrust it into my hand at the end of the day! I competed with a my Rapid MK1 (.22 @ 11.6 ftp on a crombo) topped with the Hakko Set at 10x. If you are intending to do FT then it is doable but as mentioned earlier with this kind of scope the depth of field view is limited so you may want to take that into consideration and go for a smaller objective lens which seem to be less fussy on depth of field. ( IMO) As for the Hawke I won perhaps 10 or 12 years ago, it's still good as new.

As previously mentioned about shooting live quarry, for rabbits I generally stick below the 40yrd mark, rats - rarely beyond 25 and for feathers about the same... maybe up to 30 rested firing point.

Good luck with your scope hunt.