Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scope help

scope help

Hi all, I wonder if you could help. I am looking for a scope which I will use to shoot long range rabbits and will also dabble in HFT. But without wishing to igniting the whole issue over which scope is best for air rifles maybe it'll help if I just ask the question "what scope do you use" for 1) field targets and 2) shooting rabbits in the morning (if you are inclined to do this) or just general target shooting - I'll try to use this as my guide for my purchase.

I currently have 3-off 3-9x40 scopes which were attached to air rifles purchased in the past of which 1 of the 3 has mil dot and the other 2 with duplex crosshair. one is Nikko Stirling, one Hawke panorama and the other 'SCR'. all are ok, but are no way near as bright as my Nikon monarch 7 10x42 Bino's which are in a league of their own. what I am looking for is a scope that is above all, crisp and bright - my eyes are not what they used to be so a good scope will make up for this. I am willing to fork out a hefty (about £500) for this new or S/H wonder scope.
    many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DIGWEED112 View Post
    I am looking for a scope which I will use to shoot long range rabbits
    Possibly not the best question to ask here - somebody might think that you're an irresponsible Walt, though that really depends on your definition of 'long range'...
    Last edited by rabbitwrecker; 06-06-2015 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Possibly not the best question to ask here - somebody might think that you're an irresponsible Walt, though that really depends on your definition of 'long range'...
    I must admit the thoughts of irresponsible do immediately come to mind with this type of post. The thought of spending £500 or more on a secondhand scope to shoot rabbits at a distance that you can guarantee being able to put every shot within a space the size of a 5p piece makes my mind boggle at the rest of the equipment being used and the inherent skills of the shooter.

So the big question at the moment is what are you shooting with and at what range can you hit a 5p piece every single shot?

If your skills are up to it I would look at the Leupold range as the one I had was superb.

Any 3-12 or 4-16 mag scope will do at air rifle ranges, it's just what suits your eye.

I don't like to see higher mag than that on air, even FAC air, because I think high mag encourages some shooters to attempt over long shots.

I use Mamba-lite's on air/FAC air & Sidewinders on rim-fire/centre-fire.

What do you mean by long range rabbits? I would say 40yds is the max distance for most competent shots and only then in favourable conditions.Remember you're shooting a living animal not some metal target so a misplaced shot would almost certainly mean a nasty wound and a slow painful death not just a low or no score.If you want to shoot rabbits beyond that distance get an FAC,subject to the necessary conditions, and buy a .22 rimfire which will have a much flatter trajectory and will be less affected by shooting conditions i.e any breeze/wind blowing, over a longer range.Paying £500 for a scope will give you a better sight picture optically,or it should, such as a brighter view in poor light but it isn't going to transform your shooting.
    Last edited by Patrick 2; 07-06-2015 at 03:48 PM.

my apologies for not replying sooner - on reading my question again; i do agree it is a bit of a naff question and I should have thought more about it's contents; however, in reply to some of your questions. The rabbits are at about a distance of about 50yds - I can't really get any closer. And will be shot with my Daystate huntsman xl which is on a FAC - it has been detuned to 30ftlb. my desire for a brighter scope is purely to see more clearly in low light. I use 10 x 42 Bino's so the suggestion of 3 - 12 sounds ok - has anyone tried Bushnell's?

To be honest, 50 yards is pushing it too far, FAC or not. It's all about placement, 30 ft/lbs will still only wound if you don't hit the spot. The only advantage you have over a sub-12 ft/lb gun is a flatter trajectory, it won't be any easier to hit the mark with. Set out some extra strong mints at 50 yards and try to hit every single one first time under real-world conditions. If you can't, leave the rabbits be - practice your fieldcraft till you can get a bit nearer, say 30-35 yards. That way, your 3-9x will be fine...

You haven't explained why you can't get any closer, is lack of fieldcraft or what?

A late reply I know but you say you want a scope for hunting rabbits at range and for hft. Firstly I think the effective and safe range for rabbits has been answered but you say your rifle is fac @ 30ft/lb surely hft is a sub 12ft/lb limit so how do you shoot with 30ft/lb. As for scope good glass and front objective no bigger than 44mm for hft you need good depth of field because you have to preset your scope at around 25 yards and not allowed to use it for range finding.

Just wanna chuck this little gem into the mix here as we all seem to be giving 'digweed' a wee bit of a roasting, why is it that a certain airgunner who'll have to stay nameless is posting videos of himself on 'YouTube' shooting Crows and Rabbits at anywhere upto 75yds whilst claiming that the rifle he's using is 11.6fpe and in fact 'apparently' all of his air rifles are set at 11.6fpe with the emphasis on 'apparently' cos it sure as hell whacks em over with relative ease at those ranges, doesn't set a good example to other shooters/new airgunners now does it !...

Dare I suggest that he's either 'bullshitting us' and his rifles are running far hotter than he's letting on in which case he's in possession of an illegal firearm and covering his tracks or air rifles are are far more capable than they are given credit for !...

Your thoughts on the subject would be welcomed !...👍

Quote Originally Posted by DIGWEED112 View Post
    my apologies for not replying sooner - on reading my question again; i do agree it is a bit of a naff question and I should have thought more about it's contents; however, in reply to some of your questions. The rabbits are at about a distance of about 50yds - I can't really get any closer. And will be shot with my Daystate huntsman xl which is on a FAC - it has been detuned to 30ftlb. my desire for a brighter scope is purely to see more clearly in low light. I use 10 x 42 Bino's so the suggestion of 3 - 12 sounds ok - has anyone tried Bushnell's?
    50 yards rabbits with fac air, off bipod/bag/rested up on tree, in still conditions comes down to your ability, it is imo around the range limited by type of rifle (fac air)
    If you like your Binoculars - look for a Nikon Scope, lots around for under £500, all the models over the £300 mark are excellent glass, I really rate the EFR 3-9 which retails here at £175 ish. On one of my fac rifles I use a Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16 x, at the time the best glass for the money. Any Busnell Elite is going to be very very good, I've heard the ones that go from 2.5-16 are not as good as the older ones with 3 or 4 x zoom range.
    For my 'dedicated' hunting stuff I tend to use Bushnell, Elite, or have a recent legend with rainguard coating. I do find that the rear not fogging up on a cold outing if breathed on accidentally is worthwhile. I think in the £250-£500 band, you'll not beat Nikon or Bushnell. Weaver knock out a few nice scopes, there are some Leupolds too, but you get less for the money, though the glass is very easy on the eye, and Burris too are worth a look -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Just wanna chuck this little gem into the mix here as we all seem to be giving 'digweed' a wee bit of a roasting, why is it that a certain airgunner who'll have to stay nameless is posting videos of himself on 'YouTube' shooting Crows and Rabbits at anywhere upto 75yds whilst claiming that the rifle he's using is 11.6fpe and in fact 'apparently' all of his air rifles are set at 11.6fpe with the emphasis on 'apparently' cos it sure as hell whacks em over with relative ease at those ranges, doesn't set a good example to other shooters/new airgunners now does it !...

Dare I suggest that he's either 'bullshitting us' and his rifles are running far hotter than he's letting on in which case he's in possession of an illegal firearm and covering his tracks or air rifles are are far more capable than they are given credit for !...

Your thoughts on the subject would be welcomed !...��
    Got to agree there, is does get a bit holier than thow on here sometimes To answer the question, I would look at Vortex or Nikon, good 'glass' for the money & both have a choice of reticle styles.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    Got to agree there, is does get a bit holier than thow on here sometimes To answer the question, I would look at Vortex or Nikon, good 'glass' for the money & both have a choice of reticle styles.

John
    Remember that ole "Practice what you preach" chestnut well there seems to be a whole heap of preaching going on but not so much of the 'practice' from what I can see of it and 'NO' before anyone gets up on their high horse it's not a crack at anybody in particular !...👍

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post

Your thoughts on the subject would be welcomed !...��
    Even for the best Olympic class shooter in the world, 75yds with a sub 12 is both stupid & immoral on live targets, fine to practice/show off at paper, but air time for the pellet gives too much chance of a live target moving.

I use a Hakko 8-32 x 56 - and I wouldn't say it encourages me to take shots that are "too far" Yes, there have been instances where I shouldn't have taken a shot but have, but that was down to frustration not the scope mag. (as it happens the shot I was thinking of was probably the best shot I ever made... but that is beside the point)

With a side-wheel focus scope you are able to get a confirmation of range and therefore a better idea of "point of aim" it still won't make anyone a better shot for holding steady or estimating drift, but it helps me for shot placement. On the against side target acquisition can sometimes be an issue if you have it wound-up, 20x is usually more than adequate and many compete at 10 x or even less.

Now to what you asked...

A Tasco Custom shop used to be the way to go when I was really in to my shooting (or Hakko in my case)

For these days the Falcon, MTC or Hawke Sidewinder series seem pretty good on performance / £? BUT I have been out of shooting as my prime hobby for 7 or 8 years.

Many years ago I found myself having won a Hawke Scope during a test for a fledgling HFT test shoot (Cheers Sparky) I didn't realise there was a prize until Sparky thrust it into my hand at the end of the day! I competed with a my Rapid MK1 (.22 @ 11.6 ftp on a crombo) topped with the Hakko Set at 10x. If you are intending to do FT then it is doable but as mentioned earlier with this kind of scope the depth of field view is limited so you may want to take that into consideration and go for a smaller objective lens which seem to be less fussy on depth of field. ( IMO) As for the Hawke I won perhaps 10 or 12 years ago, it's still good as new.

As previously mentioned about shooting live quarry, for rabbits I generally stick below the 40yrd mark, rats - rarely beyond 25 and for feathers about the same... maybe up to 30 rested firing point.

Good luck with your scope hunt.
    "Every silver lining has a cloud!"

HW77K, Rapid 7 MKI . HW97Colt GC, S&W 686 (CO2) HW75 . HW100K FSB