Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scope help

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Even for the best Olympic class shooter in the world, 75yds with a sub 12 is both stupid & immoral on live targets, fine to practice/show off at paper, but air time for the pellet gives too much chance of a live target moving.
    I've often shot at those sort of ranges but only at static targets like golf balls, pine cones, eggs, spoon targets etc. etc. just for the hell of it and to be quite honest with you as long as the conditions are rite it's easily achievable with springer or PCP but as for 'live targets' I'm quite happy to give it a miss and stick to sensible ranges which for me would realistically be around the 35-40yd mark barring in mind I'll quite happily slot 10x .22 sized shots inside a 5p sized ring at 25yds from a supported shooting position !... 👍

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Leaving aside the argument about the OPs ability that seems to have cropped up, I think a reasonable scope would be something around 4-12 x magnification, and if combined with a 44/50mm objective would give maximum brightness when set at around 6/7x magnification - so would be bright, clear, and able to use at a higher mag in better light or for HFT set to 10x which many shooters seem to prefer?

So with the above in mind I'd look at either one of the premium brands like Leupold/Burris etc. or try something at half the price like a Hawke Endurance/sidewinder, Falcon Menace etc.

Best advice is to get a look through these before spending your money, different people's eyes prefer different scopes, and sometimes you pay twice the price for a fraction better quality, which is fine if your ok with what your buying, but it's disappointing when if your honest you can't tell the difference.

James

Don't think anybody is arguing about the OP's ability (well I'm not anyway) just hotly debating the merits of what's an acceptable range for an air rifle anyway I'm currently running a 'Hawke Reflex 3-10x44 MD' parallax set at 40yds which when set on 10x allows me to count the fleas in a rabbits ear at 35yds so based on that any higher and I should think you'd be able to determin his 'red blood cell count' haha !...

On a serious note though, how much more do you really need to be able to see for Christ sake !...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Possibly not the best question to ask here - somebody might think that you're an irresponsible Walt, though that really depends on your definition of 'long range'...
    Have a look at the Hawke AirMax SF range. 6X24 should be plenty clear for long range shooting. A Nikko target master is also a useful scope.

A.G