Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quiet pistol options

Quiet pistol options

Can anyone give info on pellet pistols which are very quiet?
    Do not mind if spring/co2 or charged,also don't mind multi or single shot.
    I see one being used many months ago ,it was a single shot target style type.
    I heard the guy say it was not compressed air BUT was charged,i have no idea how it was powered but it was very quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by gazzalene View Post
    Can anyone give info on pellet pistols which are very quiet?
    Do not mind if spring/co2 or charged,also don't mind multi or single shot.
    I see one being used many months ago ,it was a single shot target style type.
    I heard the guy say it was not compressed air BUT was charged,i have no idea how it was powered but it was very quiet.
    HW40 / Beeman P17 is fairly quiet.

Adrian

Crosman 1377 on three pumps. Hw45 if not dieseling. Tempests. I think the HW40 and Beeman P17 give quite a crack! At least mine do. My Crosman 1377 is definitely my quietest. Hw 75 is only a click too. The Browning Buckmark is a low powered springer with again a click. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

ive got a webley nemesis - single stroke pnumatic, same as hw40/beeman p17 and it has a really loud crack - but I installed a longer barrel, over which I can slip a bsa silencer and its quiet as a mouse
    Donald

The Webley Alecto are pneumatic and pretty quiet.
    Also the Walther CP88 in Co2
    Baikal MP654 MP53M IZH-46M LP53 CP88comp Alecto .177 LB, .22 Tempest .177, .22 Cr 2240 Weih HW45 HW45BS HW70 HW75 XSP180 Cometa Indian Hatsan25 Scorp MKII Benj Trail NP AVOKE Diana P5 Avanti747 * PLUS Over 70, Co2 BB/Pellet Pistols*

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    ive got a webley nemesis - single stroke pnumatic, same as hw40/beeman p17 and it has a really loud crack - but I installed a longer barrel, over which I can slip a bsa silencer and its quiet as a mouse
    My .22 Nemesis is quite quiet - I suppose it is relative to the CO2 pistols anyway. The .177 Gamo compact is quieter still which is a bit counter intuitive I suppose as we expect the smaller calibre's to be louder usually?

Either way sounds like an excellent mod on the Nemesis

Cheers

Binker
    Mo brístí ar an tine.

The newer (mk3) webley alecto is threaded to take a silencer adaptor and is very accurate. The hw45 in .22 is almost totally silent (until you pull the trigger)

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    The newer (mk3) webley alecto is threaded to take a silencer adaptor and is very accurate. The hw45 in .22 is almost totally silent (until you pull the trigger)
    I often find myself quite surprised at what happens when I pull the trigger
    Mo brístí ar an tine.

Each pistol has a different type of noise report, and are perceived differently by different people; hence the variance in oppinions above.

We do not have the definitive noise levels (in dB), so the oppinions are somewhat subjective.

I have seen folk describe the Alecto as quiet, and others disagree. I have owned both calibres and found it similar to most other SSPs on one pump, but much louder on two or more pumps.

As mentioned the HW40 has a nice crack, at first you may perceive it as loud, then you get used to it. But if its neighbours you are concerned about, they may notice it.

The Crosman 1377 seems to produce most of the noise from the hammer spring, with a somewhat softer lower frequency sound (fewer pumps, lower velocity, lower noise report). There is a nice reliable one for sale here.

Quote Originally Posted by Binker View Post
    Either way sounds like an excellent mod on the Nemesis

Cheers

Binker
    I've got a Nemesis that's modified to accept a moderator. I use it with a home-made mod that's filled with cardboard rings and it's very quiet, an ideal indoor plinker or target pistol actually.

Regarding a quiet pistol, I would recommend a Tempest. Cleaned and relubed with modern grease and Moly Paste they get much quieter. A decent backstop (a box filled with rags, carpet, Plumber's Mait or lead sheet will also cut down noise a lot too. You might be surprised to learn that pellets hitting a solid lead slab make hardly any noise. I've got a deep baking tray that has a lot of lead melted into it that I use as a backstop, it works really well but is heavy.

Yes the Tempest is pretty quiet. Box with newspapers also good behind a target card. The lead stop is ideal; I'm saving old lead up for that use.

Strangely enough the quietest pistol that I have tried is the new Umarex Colt Peacemaker I use a small box with a folded up old towel inside and just tape the paper targets on to the box that way the target is very quiet it works for me.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Pretty sure even 357 magnum is totally silent until you pull the trigger...

I had an issue with noise from a CP-1 pistol so I changed to a Weihrauch HW40 which was a lot quieter and now I have a Webley Alecto mk3 and on one pump it is great.

Dave
    Good deals done with: Aimstraight, mulletman6, GwyneddATC, evo97k, Hotwired, Ryan hw99s & Clipper.
    Gun owned .177 FAS 6004 Target pistol.

http://airgunbuyer.com/details.asp?c...s&Product=3523
    I got a silencer adapter from Blackpool air rifles as well, together with the falcon long silencer (even the very cheap slimline silencers work well with pistols)This was some years ago
    Last edited by airgunnut; 10-06-2015 at 07:31 PM.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php