Thread: Primer removal problem

Renegade Master is offline They mostly come at night, mostly

Primer removal problem

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of preparing a batch of approx 2000 .357 cases. They have all been cleaned, and I have run them through the press to size and de-prime them.

The issue I have is that a small number have not deprimed properly. The priming rod has pushed the bottom of the primer out, but left the side walls still in the case. Before I chuck them in the bin I thought I would ask if there was a trick to getting the remainder of the primer out without damaging the case? I assume they were pretty well corroded in.

Cheers,

Dan

You could try a primer pocket uniformer to grind out the primer sides, but TBH on a cheap, common case like .357 I wouldn't bother.

Does .357 ever have a primer crimp?

Funnily enough, I tried using my primer pocket cleaner chucked in a drill, but it didn't seem to do much.

I think you are right and I will end up chucking them, just wanted to check first in case this was a common issue with an easy fix.

Primer pocket uniformer, not cleaner. The uniformer will actually shave metal, whereas the cleaner is designed specifically not to shave metal.

I don't have one, and probably wont invest in one for the sake of a few cases.

Definitely a case of file under B for Bin then

You could try a cheap set of "watch makers screwdrivers" & just try to lever the remains out, but anything thin enough to go through the pin hole is likely to bend or break.

You could also try a drill, the primer might grab & spin, but is any of it worth the effort & possible damage to the case rendering it useless anyway ?

If the spent primers are sticking out from the bottom of a case, try pliers to pull them the rest of the way out, esp. small-nose pliers -- worked a treat for me, when I got the odd primer which did not come out during the sizing/decapping cycle.

Seems to happen more with soft primers (particularly Federal).

I eventually solved the problem by adjusting the decapping die so that EVERY primer was pushed out.

Cheers for the advice guys, I think for the sake of a handful of cases I will just recycle them.