Thread: "New" Webley Junior MK II

"New" Webley Junior MK II

Just got this into my possession. It seems it has never been used. Was packed in a greaseproof bag and the pistol was completely glued up inside and out with the original factory lubricant that had gone gooey and almost solid. Stripped, cleaned and lubed to restore it. I have never been keen on the newer design but I am impressed with performance, it has a much stronger spring than the older type. Does anyone know the year of manufacture, has 787 on the end of chamber.
    Also what value with box ?

Thanks Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Sure someone will be along to correct me, but I was told the MK 2 Junior (and Premier) was limited to a short production period maybe circa 1975-77 or 77-79.

I like this little pistol, such fun, easy to cock, low recoil and accurate at short ranges. Although not having the looks and quality of the Mk 1, it has the easy to use stirrup catch and the finish is durable (no worries of damage or rust to blued steel). Not a fan of the stick on label though.

Undervalued and overlooked IMHO.

Hi,

The Mk2 Junior was introduced in July - August 1973 and continued until August 1976 in the following quantities:

1973 2,500
    1974 11,500
    1975 9,800
    1976 7,950

787 is a batch number and as with all post-war Webley air pistols doesn't really aid identification of year of manufacture

Interestingly, the picture on the box was of a young man holding a Premier and not a Junior !

Above information courtesy of Gordon Bruce's Webley Air Pistol development publication.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

The Mk2 Junior was introduced in July - August 1973 and continued until August 1976 in the following quantities:

1973 2,500
    1974 11,500
    1975 9,800
    1976 7,950

787 is a batch number and as with all post-war Webley air pistols doesn't really aid identification of year of manufacture

Interestingly, the picture on the box was of a young man holding a Premier and not a Junior !

Above information courtesy of Gordon Bruce's Webley Air Pistol development publication.

Regards

Brian
    Thanks for that. There is another number cast into the Zamak grip frame. As it is cast in it probably is a common number.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Well I got the right decade!

Under the left grip on mine is the batch number (matches that on the end plug). Under the right grip is a large raised cast number 1475. Guess this is the pattern/model number for the cast frame.

You still have no valuations on this boxed set yet, expect John (& Josie) will have an oppinion on this.

Hi Baz,

Not much I can add to the excellent advice provided so far. The only thing I can think of are a couple of minor variations outlined in GB's book such as modified sights on later examples. Your pistol looks to be in excellent fettle - not sure if it comes with a green double sided instruction leaflet and pellets?

The Junior Mk 2 is not the most desirable Junior amongst collectors (unfortunately) but as yours appears to be almost brand new old stock, it has to be worth £150 or possibly a little more as the condition ought to fetch a premium.

John