Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2015 Autumn/Winter 6 yard MPL Postal Competition

once i get myself an ssp i will be joining this league, just wish there was still a recharged pistol category so i could enter with my new/first ever target pistol, a lovely Steyr LP1
    Beretta AL391 Teknys Stonecoat 28", CZ 452 Style .22lr, Grand Power K22, Rem 700 .308 in GRS Stock, Marlin .357, Tikka T3 Varmint .223, Miroku MK38

Quote Originally Posted by nrees16 View Post
    once i get myself an ssp i will be joining this league, just wish there was still a recharged pistol category so i could enter with my new/first ever target pistol, a lovely Steyr LP1
    I can't believe I am actually saying this - but if you are looking for an SSP pistol and have large hands and can cope with the looks then the Webley Alecto could be worth considering.

I just shot the August round with one of these and have to admit it did shoot very well - totally recoilless and with a good trigger and adjustable palm shelf too. I personally do not like the military styling but it is surprisingly light in weight. I shot it's predecessor last month the Webley Nemesis and that also shot very well. Two air pistols with a British name that can be found used at good prices - the Nemesis in particular at very modest prices.

There are plenty of these two pistols about in .177 so if you get the chance to try one let me know what you think. They also makes a change from the usual choice of GAMO Compacts and HW40 pistols that many people choose to start with. An FAS 604 or Air Match would be a step upwards if you can find one at the right price and the Walther LPM-1 and Feinwerkbau 103 represent to top of the tree in SSP pistols but command higher prices.

There are lots of others that are worthy of consideration including the older Walther SSP and the current Baikel SSP types so finding the one for you could be a very interesting journey with a fair bit of choice and variety.

If it is definately an SSP you are looking for then there is a good choice on the new and used market so you should be able to find something at a price you are willing to pay.

I also have a Steyr LP1 and agree it is a great match pistol - - but unfortunately it is not an MPL pistol.
    Last edited by zooma; 10-11-2015 at 08:30 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Hi Andy,

It is a great competition - but it is surprising to see how few air rifle shooters there are that feel able to shoot accurately enough at 6 yards to enter this competition .

I would have thought that the bell target shooters would jump at this opoprtunity as they (mostly) shoot at 6 yards as well and these targets can be fixed to the front of their bell targets (like mine!) making it very easy to use existing kit.

Maybe 18 wheeler is too proving to be too much competition for them all and they don't want him to show them up

The pistol shooters are definitely more "up for it" (as you can see) and late entries ( even in the last month) are welcome as long as you are happy to catch-up with the cards when you start.

It is only 6 cards per month so even if you had to shoot them all in the last month it is still only 36 cards in total - less than the number of cards to be shot in a single live ISU competition that has to be completed on the day (and within a tight time allowance!).

I hope you find something suitable to shoot with soon - any spring powered or SSP .177 air pistol would be OK to get you started - it is only your own score you need to beat to begin with - you can menace the rest of us later when you get some practice in
    I'm keeping a keen eye out. And also working on my new indoor 6yd range. Hopefully you'll here from me soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyTMan View Post
    I'm keeping a keen eye out. And also working on my new indoor 6yd range. Hopefully you'll here from me soon.
    Hope the range building goes well and we hear from you very soon!

Hello to All,

Bob has galvanized me to get of my fat arse and get started on the MPL rifle cards

As he was using his HW55T, I thought I would try a far more exotic beast - my 1973 Original 35

This rifle I bought new, has been abused to hell and back, especially during my teen years. I knackered the front stock screw holes so badly, that the action was eventually glued into the stock with silicone mastic - a 'glue-in'

I bought the Original diopter sight (same model as 65/66 had) in 1975, and with a post element I will be shooting the July MPL rifle cards this afternoon.

I still have a few tins of vintage Eley Match pellets, so I will be using them as well for a true period feel.

Ancient & knackered rifle, ancient & knackered shooter, vintage pellets - should be entertaining

Have fun & a good weekend !

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Hello to All,

Bob has galvanized me to get of my fat arse and get started on the MPL rifle cards

As he was using his HW55T, I thought I would try a far more exotic beast - my 1973 Original 35

This rifle I bought new, has been abused to hell and back, especially during my teen years. I knackered the front stock screw holes so badly, that the action was eventually glued into the stock with silicone mastic - a 'glue-in'

I bought the Original diopter sight (same model as 65/66 had) in 1975, and with a post element I will be shooting the July MPL rifle cards this afternoon.

I still have a few tins of vintage Eley Match pellets, so I will be using them as well for a true period feel.

Ancient & knackered rifle, ancient & knackered shooter, vintage pellets - should be entertaining

Have fun & a good weekend !

Best regards

Russ
    Well done Russ,

That is a very good effort.

.....I think I have some old tins of ELEY Match from the 1970's as well. I may dig them out so we have a true vintage feel for our MPL rifle competition entries.

1973 HW 35. Needs 13mm Dioptre sight.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Well done Russ,

That is a very good effort.

.....I think I have some old tins of ELEY Match from the 1970's as well. I may dig them out so we have a true vintage feel for our MPL rifle competition entries.
    Thinking about it I have an old 1973 HW35 in .177 (also "well used") that would be fun to shoot against your Original Model 35 but it needs a 13mm rear dioptre sight so I will start to ask around to see if I can find one.

This may not be too easy to find as all of the later HW rifle's have the narrower 12 mm scope rails - only the early ones like mine have the wider grooves.