Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Measuring Overall Cartridge Length (newbie alert)

There you have it, Elliot: differing opinions. You need to filter the crap out.
    There's an infinite amount of data available. Choose what suits your own standards and test things for yourself.
    You know how to be methodical and analytical from your Rimfire work- this is just the same.
    Best, Richard
    Marksmanship = Accuracy, Consistency, Observation and a little of The Force
    SharpshootingUK www.sharpshootinguk.com

Thanks chaps, it seems we all do things differently but I've got a better idea what to do now so thanks for the tips.

I've been playing around with dummy rounds tonight, setting the seating die to reload Nosler 40 grain ballistic tips at a COL of 2.200 as recommended in the Hornady reloading handbook (assuming they are the same as the V-Max).

Is it normal for the lands to touch the Ogive when seating the bullet at the recommended COL?

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Thanks chaps, it seems we all do things differently but I've got a better idea what to do now so thanks for the tips.

I've been playing around with dummy rounds tonight, setting the seating die to reload Nosler 40 grain ballistic tips at a COL of 2.200 as recommended in the Hornady reloading handbook (assuming they are the same as the V-Max).

Is it normal for the lands to touch the Ogive when seating the bullet at the recommended COL?
    every bullet has a different profile, go back to Tac's instructions and try that, you will likely have to do that every time you change bullet and/or weight, don't worry about being less than the Max COL which is normally the dimension given.
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

One thing to take note of and I hesitate to post it in the presence of reloading gods who appear to call differing opinions 'crap'.

The volume occupied by the bullet in the case is an important and often overlooked reference, as long as the case volume (by a seated bullet) is unaltered it does not matter what the nose form / profile is for the same weight bullet.
    Obviously you cannot compare flat base and boat-tail so easily - takes a little math to calculate the volume - but like for like is a doddle.

This seating depth (amount of bullet in the case) is an important datum to recognise and record.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post

40 gr BT in order of ascending length - Sierra BK, Nosler BT, Hornady V-max; so seating the Nosler to the same length as the V-max means less bullet in the case so higher volume and lower pressure, not the end of the world and gives you a starting point.

Those A-max I sent you clover leafed when loaded to SAAMI length (2.260) in my 1:12 so that was as far as I went with playing with COL, it probably wouldn't have been that close to the lands, the rifle was 20+ years old so there would have been some throat wear.

In all honesty mate I wouldn't worry about getting a gnats fart from the lands for initial load development, load to book length or SAAMI length and test a good range of powder weights from min up to maximum (or pressure signs if they come first). If the rifle likes the combination you'll find an accuracy node or 2 and you can then play with COL from there, or you may be lucky and find that the COL you are using is as accurate as you need like I did.
    Last edited by 223AI; 04-08-2015 at 11:34 AM.
    Thanks for looking

If you're using nosler BT's they have good load data on their website, I use their data a fair bit as it is more generous than most, its best to try find 2-3 sets of load data for any given combination then make your own decision on min and max based on the 3 (or start at the minimum and carefully work up to the max in small steps or until you get pressure)

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/223-remington/

You'll see their data loads the 40 gr BT to SAAMI length.....
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    40 gr BT in order of ascending length - Sierra BK, Nosler BT, Hornady V-max; so seating the Nosler to the same length as the V-max means less bullet in the case so higher volume and lower pressure, not the end of the world and gives you a starting point.

Those A-max I sent you clover leafed when loaded to SAAMI length (2.260) in my 1:12 so that was as far as I went with playing with COL, it probably wouldn't have been that close to the lands, the rifle was 20+ years old so there would have been some throat wear.

In all honesty mate I wouldn't worry about getting a gnats fart from the lands for initial load development, load to book length or SAAMI length and test a good range of powder weights from min up to maximum (or pressure signs if they come first). If the rifle likes the combination you'll find an accuracy node or 2 and you can then play with COL from there, or you may be lucky and find that the COL you are using is as accurate as you need like I did.
    Best post yet.

tac
    Life Member - NRA