Thread: Sharp ace 5.5mm, or 5.6mm? First post by valter.

Sharp ace 5.5mm, or 5.6mm? First post by valter.

My interest in joining is that i have read that some of you have had experience with the "sharp".
    I have had mine for some 35 years, and am unsure of the actual bore size. The barrel has both ".22, and 5.5 stamped on. I have recently tried some "marksman No 2" that are 5.6mm, and they shoot some three inches higher than 5.5 mm pellets, at 30 yards!
    If they were oversized, they would presumably experience drag in the bore, thus shoot low. However they shoot high! They slip into the breach easily, as do all the 5.5s.
    Please could anyone tell me what the bore of their .22 ace measures? Or if they have tried pellets larger than the continental .22 (ie: 5.5mm).
    It could be that the barrel has been bored out oversize, but 0.1 of a mm could not be achieved! I have not tried to check the bore, as there is a sound moderator at one end, and the breach plug at the other. I have just thought that i could deform a .22 pellet to way oversize at the skirt, then fire it with just one pump stroke, and measure the diameter of the captured pellel. May try that when i come back home.
    PS.
    Is it protacol to add info. on guns, hobbies, and the like?
    Regards.

Welcome aboard.

With regards to pellet suitability and your Sharp Ace, nice rifle by the way, I would buy a selection of quality domed head pellets (Superdome etc no gimmicks like triple rings, points etc.) to start with and keep the Marksman as fishing weights.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Responce to the first reply.

Thanks for taking time to reply.
    Over the years i have used various pellets, not realising that there are differences in actual diameters of both head and skirt!
    Accuracy was fair, but not remarcable with any. Recently i learned of the difference between old UK 0.22, and continental 0.22.
    Pellets have always fallen easily into the breach. That made me think that the japanese may have used the 5.6mm conversion of 0.22in.
    Reading this BB, and others, i have learned of barrel conditioning, and pellet choices. The newly introduced "wasp" in the old .22 are said to be rubbish by all who have posted on them. I have thus chosen not to try them.
    However, the "marksman" shoot high, as compared to the other pellets. I have now tried some three dozen "defiant vintage", which also shoot high!
    To me this indicates that the 5.5mm pellets are undersize for my barrel!
    The marksman are heavily oxidised, whereas the defiant are bright.
    I enlarged the skirt of one defiant, and recovered it, with one pump. The rifeling can be seen on the skirt, but i no longer have access to a micromiter, so cannot confirm the deformed diameter.
    Maybe others may have had similar experiences, and will reply?
    Regards.
    Valter.

I can honestly say that in 40+ years of airgun shooting Ive never resorted to a micrometer to measure pellets - shot or otherwise. With pellets being made partially of lead and therefore very soft I doubt if Ive got the ability to measure with such accuracy.
    I do admit to buying match (10m pistol) pellets in batches. I buy a tin from my local friendly gun shop and ask them to put the remaining 9 tins to one side for a few days. I test the pellets by shooting, no measuring involved, and if they are to my exacting standards ( ) I go back and buy the reaming 9 tins.
    Part of the fun of airgunning is pellet testing as pellets are relatively cheap. This does, of course mean, that you end up with dozens of part used tins of pellets of all makes/calibers.
    Theres plenty of club members, semi professional FT/HFTers who bide their spare time away, washing, weighing, sizing ....
    then putting up their Spam sandwiches for the next train spotting adventure.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Bulk purchase.

Thanks again.
    Over half a century ago i would by my .22 rounds in thousands, to try to maintain consistancy of manufacture. Now i can only buy 200, and hold 250!
    That i shoot both .22 & 22 magnum, there is little consistancy left!