Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are HW's so ugly ?

Why are HW's so ugly ?

I just wondered why HW struggle to produce a gun stock that is appealing ?

I know the guns are "built like tanks" (yawn) and "pellet on pellet" (double yawn) but why are they so flippin ugly ? Even the new laminate HW100 looks challenged. Zee Germans design breath taking cars, why do they struggle to produce an airgun stock that you aren't embarrassed about having in a picture ?

Ah, obviously not allowed to say F U G G L Y in a title....

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo View Post

I know the guns are "built like tanks" (yawn) and "pellet on pellet" (double yawn) but why are they so flippin ugly ? Even the new laminate HW100 looks challenged. Zee Germans design breath taking cars, why do they struggle to produce an airgun stock that you aren't embarrassed about having in a picture ?
    I'm happy that they produce ugly stocks, more work for me
    Got a nice laminate in red and black lined up in a few weeks for the hw100.

Mark.

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo View Post

I tend to agree with you, but in fairness most of their break barrels are nice enough, it's only the 97 & 100 where the sporters are poor and the "fist-hole" is plain pig ugly.

Breathtaking cars? You should have gone to Specsavers mate, it's extremely rare for Germans to design anything that's really beautiful, whether it's cars, planes, airguns, or even ballpoint pens. Compare an ME109 to a Spitfire, a BMW/Merc/Audi to a Jaguar, an HW to a Webley Longbow. The German things may be technically excellent but for some reason the Germans are unable to introduce qualities of grace or beauty into the vast majority of the things they make, in fact a lot of German products are not just lacking in grace and beauty but are downright ugly. A lot of Mercedes cars for instance, especially the larger saloons are just minging and are bought for the badge or the spec rather than looks.

Soulless is another word that can usually be applied to German design. Like I say, I'm not slagging off German quality or technical excellence, just the lack of grace and beauty evident in most German designs. I know that good looks alone don't put rabbits in bags or pellets in bulls-eyes but you can have good looks, quality and technical excellence all in one package.

Huntsman07 is offline I'm just a pecker who lives in the hills with too many guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    Breathtaking cars? You should have gone to Specsavers mate, it's extremely rare for Germans to design anything that's really beautiful, whether it's cars, planes, airguns, or even ballpoint pens. Compare an ME109 to a Spitfire, a BMW/Merc/Audi to a Jaguar, an HW to a Webley Longbow. The German things may be technically excellent but for some reason the Germans are unable to introduce qualities of grace or beauty into the vast majority of the things they make, in fact a lot of German products are not just lacking in grace and beauty but are downright ugly. A lot of Mercedes cars for instance, especially the larger saloons are just minging and are bought for the badge or the spec rather than looks.

Soulless is another word that can usually be applied to German design. Like I say, I'm not slagging off German quality or technical excellence, just the lack of grace and beauty evident in most German designs. I know that good looks alone don't put rabbits in bags or pellets in bulls-eyes but you can have good looks, quality and technical excellence all in one package.
    Bmw, Mercedes and Audi anyday over a jaguar!��

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder, personally I cannot see anything to criticise in the stock of my HW100 KT. No better or worse than my previous guns, regal, s400, Brocock contour. If you want ugly in my opinion just look at any of the bullpups which many members seem so keen on.

'Too sexy for my gun by Right said fred'

I really like the new laminate stock on my HW100.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman07 View Post
    Are you allowed to drive anything with such poor eyesight? Only joking! Looks are not important to some, it's a shame that the Germans can't add some beauty to their otherwise excellent products though.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman07 View Post
    Bentley over any of them. German owned company (VAG) now with a German head designer (Stefan Sielaff )

HW 35E E for elegant.

The Tyrolean 80,77 & 55 are lovely,the early 77 & Beeman R1 aren't too shabby either.

o

o O i think my little 2010 vw looks cute, bless, my master pro looks chuffin bitchin , as for the hw100 i like it,s chunky but good looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post

Totally agree and well put. The best style designers in Europe are the Italians for super cars, motorcycles, clothes, shoes, bags etc. Why don't Weihrauch just let Minelli (or whatever their name is) design all their stocks, then you have the best of both worlds, German engineering and Italian style.