Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co2 Bulkfill

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Co2 Bulkfill

I have a Co2 pistol with Bulkfill capability and a Co2 bottle from home brewing that screws directly into the pistol, I tried filling it but the power and shot count were very low. I have since learnt that the tank should be inverted during fillng to allow liquid co2 into the pistol, but that sounds kinda scary! With no gauge etc is it possible to overfill? Any hints tips or advice?
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    When I bought my Brno from Mays gun shop, they recommended I put the pistol in the freezer (!) for a while before bulk filling it - put it in a cloth and then a plastic bag first. The reason is the storage reservoir needs to be cold to get a good charge in there. Then I found out that just filling it a bit and then firing ten shots rapidly would do the same thing. Also, yes you do have to let the liquid co2 flow into the reservoir. You have to let the pistol warm to room temperature after, but it doesnt take long.

So, fill it a little, then dry-fire ten shots, then fill it properly. You can't over-fill with CO2 as far as I know, it runs much much less pressure than HPA as it liquefies at a much lower temperature (CO2 molecules like sticking to eachother more than the mix of gasses in air, and is therefore more viscous). It is a pretty safe propellant, and you cannot have the kind of catastrophic explosions that can happen with HPA. The downside is if you fire alot of rounds rapidly on a cold day, not only will the power be very much lower than if it was powered by HPA, but there is a risk of finely engineered parts getting supercooled and jamming. My brief relationship with a QB78 included a jammed bolt during an accuracy testing day in very cold weather, and that rifle had been smoothed out by an expert.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 18-06-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    When I bought my Brno from Mays gun shop, they recommended I put the pistol in the freezer (!) for a while before bulk filling it - put it in a cloth and then a plastic bag first. The reason is the storage reservoir needs to be cold to get a good charge in there. Then I found out that just filling it a bit and then firing ten shots rapidly would do the same thing. Also, yes you do have to let the liquid co2 flow into the reservoir. You have to let the pistol warm to room temperature after, but it doesnt take long.

So, fill it a little, then dry-fire ten shots, then fill it properly. You can't over-fill with CO2 as far as I know, it runs much much less pressure than HPA as it liquefies at a much lower temperature (CO2 molecules like sticking to eachother more than the mix of gasses in air, and is therefore more viscous). It is a pretty safe propellant, and you cannot have the kind of catastrophic explosions that can happen with HPA. The downside is if you fire alot of rounds rapidly on a cold day, not only will the power be very much lower than if it was powered by HPA, but there is a risk of finely engineered parts getting supercooled and jamming. My brief relationship with a QB78 included a jammed bolt during an accuracy testing day in very cold weather, and that rifle had been smoothed out by an expert.

Have fun!
    Cheers Al, it's a Brno I'm using. I think I'll have to eat some ice cream to create room..

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I didn't follow the freezer advice because I was a bit concerned about condensation and rust, but if you make sure you oily rag the pistol it should be OK. Ice-cream is top stuff, I like the Carte d'Or stuff, especially the Rum and Raisin - do your local smugglers/pirates eat this? And of course the tubs are excellent for all kinds of DIY storage and paint mixing purposes....

The Brno B-96 is one of the best airguns ever! You must try machining up a 10, 12 or 20 shot mag, it will be like a miniature Hotchkiss machinegun.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 18-06-2015 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I didn't follow the freezer advice because I was a bit concerned about condensation and rust, but if you make sure you oily rag the pistol it should be OK. Ice-cream is top stuff, I like the Carte d'Or stuff, especially the Rum and Raisin - do your local smugglers/pirates eat this? And of course the tubs are excellent for all kinds of DIY storage and paint mixing purposes....

The Brno B-96 is one of the best airguns ever! You must try machining up a 10, 12 or 20 shot mag, it will be like a miniature Hotchkiss machinegun.

Confession time! It's Black cherry flavour frozen yoghurt! I've never been quite the same since I started using .177, I fear a pair of Espadrilles looming on the horizon for the summer.

My empty pot is full of frozen chillies from last years crop, this never ceases to annoy my wife who grabs it with a look of hope every single time.

You cán overfill CO2. Its filled by weight though so simply check max filled weight. Its mentioned on the cilinder. If its a non-detachable cilinder, it may be in the manual. But in case of a grip reservoir, it wont take much more CO2 than the 12gr bulb gives it. If overfilled, you will hear it during first shots. You can also bleed it on some guns.
    Yes if yr bulkcilinder doesnt have a syphontube, it needs to be inverted to fill.
    Imo, bulkfill with a gun with non-detachable cilinder is pretty much worthless.
    Even if you dó dryfire shots, to get a max fill is terrible. Its just not as good as freezing a cilinder.
    If you cán just use 12gr bulbs (or if you have detachable cilinder, use a freezer)

DONT put the whole pistol in the freezer!! If you do nót have detachable cilinder, use bulbs.
    ATB,
    yana

A CO2 fire extinguisher has a dip tube so can be used upright. Convenient in 2kg size (net weight) and works well for removable cylinders...200 to 250 shot count per fill.

I imagine it would be a bit of a faff on an internal cylinder ever 70 shots or so.

Fill instructions normally state not to exceed total weight. Seems the issue may be related to elevated temperatures and expansion of contents!

My co2 rifle has a detachable cylinder and to get a maximum fill I put the cylinder in the freezer for 30 minutes and fill from a fire extinguisher. I keep the extinguisher in the airing cupboard so it is warm. It is easy to overfill so check what the correct maximum weight is and release some co2 to the correct weight.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbydoughboy View Post
    ....I keep the extinguisher in the airing cupboard so it is warm. It is easy to overfill so check what the correct maximum weight is and release some co2 to the correct weight.
    That's not a bad idea. I have never managed to fully fill a detachable cylinder, even when it is chilled in the freezer, and the bulk tank (Fire Ext) is at room temperature. A slightly warmer tank should sort that out. Not too warm though, the bulk tank has temperature limits.

Than you probably didnt have the cilinder in the freezer long enough.
    I had ny bulkfill cilinder in the garage, at outside temperature. Never had a problem with max fills
    ATB,
    yana

Bulk CO2 filling?

Its better than shooting the damn things. I look on it as a challenge to get the most I can in (then tell everyone whether they want to hear it or not. )
    I cool the receiving cylinder, but not too much in case it damages the seals (old wives tale?) and keep the supply cylinder at room temp.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 20-06-2015 at 09:02 AM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Bulk

I have always stayed clear of bulk filling ...for the reasons of weighing - as this liguid is heavy and does have weight - and the overfill can expand .
    I did however watch a YouTube video of some Argentinian airgunners - bulk filling their airrifles with fixed cylinders - out in the warmth of the hot savannah .. no issues or ......was the lack of more vids by the same guys due to them spending time in Hospital . Its this anomaly that keeps me back , plus trying to source Co2 in bulk .
    Following from this , as we are talking Pistols , Umarex made/retailed a 'plug-in' external fill kit - to fit a bulk bottle , came with a on-off tap - connected straight into a cylinder - that fitted up inside the grip ....from memory this was for the paintball pistols . These pistols now seen more in USA [ Rap4 ] came as 12g normal use or prefitted with this steel chamber + bulk kit . I have never owned a better target pistol in bulk fill Co2 , but the tech seemed so easy with no mention of heat/overfilling .

Manual recommends

The manual recommends firing two shots during the filling procedure ( no pellet of course). I use the Hambleton bulk fill cartridge each of which equates to 20 12g bulbs. When empty just swap for a full one at any homebrew store for £6. Easy to carry around and use, minimal fuss!
    I started this life with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Bulk CO2 filling?

Its better than shooting the damn things. I look on it as a challenge to get the most I can in (then tell everyone whether they want to hear it or not. )
    I cool the receiving cylinder, but not too much in case it damages the seals (old wives tale?) and keep the supply cylinder at room temp.

ATB
    Ian
    I wondered just how long it would be before you jumped up and joined in this particular subject

Filling CO2 cylinders is your proven speciality - only beaten by your incessant banging on about it.

Those that do not live close enough to go to any of the clubs that you frequent have no idea just how lucky they are
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I wondered just how long it would be before you jumped up and joined in this particular subject

Filling CO2 cylinders is your proven speciality - only beaten by your incessant banging on about it.

Those that do not live close enough to go to any of the clubs that you frequent have no idea just how lucky they are
    I could text or e-mail if they wished.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk