Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Proper reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    He's already explained this is not the case several times in this thread.

But I think some people are (perhaps deliberately) missing the point.
    What has he explained is "not the case"? That he only reviews good products because the bad ones are sent back (which is what I said)? Here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    When I get a new rifle for testing, if it's not fit for sale to 'the punter', then I make the points I believe are valid, send it back, and test it when the design/production changes have been made to that model. I believe this benefits everyone involved.
    I would disagree and suggest this benefits the manufacturer (advertiser) and the magazine (revenue), to the disadvantage of "the punter", who is none the wiser.

If a car reviewer only reviewed good cars because they sent the lemons back, it would make for very dull reading, not to mention questionable journalism.
    Last edited by banksy!; 26-06-2015 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Perhaps the easiest way to resolve the question of the integrity of reviews in airgun mags is for someone..... Anyone, to give an example of a gun that was reviewed as excellent, but turned out to be a real lemon. Is that a fair challenge???.
    I don't think the integrity of the reviews themselves is in question; more the process by which the products are selected.

So here's a another challenge. I'm sure we have all bought the odd airgun-related item (not necessarily a rifle) that has been a very bad buy. I can think of at least 2 personally that I wish I had known about before buying. The challenge is to find an honest review of that product.
    Last edited by banksy!; 26-06-2015 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by banksy! View Post
    I don't think the integrity of the reviews themselves is in question; more the process by which the products are selected.

So here's a another challenge. I'm sure we have all bought the odd airgun-related item (not necessarily a rifle) that has been a very bad buy. I can think of at least 2 personally that I wish I had known about before buying. The challenge is to find an honest review of that product.
    I dread to think how many New airgun related products enter the market each month, but I am looking forward to reading the next 500 page issue of airgun world with great relish. Sorry Mr Doe, I was going to suggest you whittle it down to just a few items worthy of reviewing for potential buyers, but that would show some bias.?? He,he.

What has he explained is "not the case"? That he only reviews good products because the bad ones are sent back (which is what I said)? Here it is:

I would disagree and suggest this benefits the manufacturer (advertiser) and the magazine (revenue), to the disadvantage of "the punter", who is none the wiser.

If a car reviewer only reviewed good cars because they sent the lemons back, it would make for very dull reading, not to mention questionable journalism.
    That is what he said, but people are misinterpreting his point. He doesn't send the individual rifle being tested back, get it tuned up and review it. He waits until the end product (as a whole) is changed, and reviews that. What he reviews, is the product the end consumer gets.

The manufacturers benefit, because they get a real world test of their product used in the fashion it's been designed for, and the consumer benefit, because the end product they get has had the niggles ironed out of it.

So you lot would sooner see a sub par product on the shelves and have folk spend money on it (not everyone reads forums, or the mags and their reviews) and have the mags slate it?

In the 10 years I've been here, whenever a "I haven't bought the mags for years, but let's slate them anyway" thread turns up, I have seen Terry ask, innumerable times, for someone to direct him towards an article where he has been dishonest in his review.

Takers so far: Zilch. Nada. None.
    Last edited by Punchsteve; 26-06-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spewy View Post
    I asked a question on a forum and had interesting replys.your reply seems to be looking down at me which is fine but no need to be a dick about it.its not rocket science is it
    Apologies.....wasn't aimed at you but more general response.

This comes up a lot and it boils down to reading between the lines.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

That is what he said, but people are misinterpreting his point. He doesn't send the individual rifle being tested back, get it tuned up and review it. He waits until the end product (as a whole) is changed, and reviews that. What he reviews, is the product the end consumer gets.
    I also said 'new gun'; that is a gun being launched on the UK market, not one that's already on sale.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

The subject of airgun testing in the magazines seems to go round and round in circles. What seems obvious to me is that Terry does a very good job with the magazines and he tends to say as he finds, but perhaps the testing procedures could be looked at and an alternative tried.

Realistically - if I bought a gun that was defective in some way I would take it straight back. I see no problem with testers doing exactly the same thing - in fact they probably save the rest of us a job by doing it as part of the review process.
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    The subject of airgun testing in the magazines seems to go round and round in circles. What seems obvious to me is that Terry does a very good job with the magazines and he tends to say as he finds, but perhaps the testing procedures could be looked at and an alternative tried.
    I'm always up for considered suggestions, Archie. I've changed the test format due to requests from readers, and BBS members, for a longer term evaluation, and that's why the main tests are now two-parters. I publish my initial findings, including accuracy, shot count, consistency, handling, looks and a run-down of features, then I shoot the hell out of the rifle for a month, take it in the field, abuse it a bit, and report on how it handled it all and how its various features impressed or otherwise.

Mind you, I've been criticised for doing that, but the reaction has been mainly positive, so I'll keep that format going for a while. As I say, all constructive suggestions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Perhaps the easiest way to resolve the question of the integrity of reviews in airgun mags is for someone..... Anyone, to give an example of a gun that was reviewed as excellent, but turned out to be a real lemon. Is that a fair challenge???.
    Good point - what about how smooth twists will change the world......
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by neil180 View Post
    Realistically - if I bought a gun that was defective in some way I would take it straight back. I see no problem with testers doing exactly the same thing - in fact they probably save the rest of us a job by doing it as part of the review process.
    I know if I were a manufacturer, I'd want these things sorted before my products went on sale, and the companies I deal with have always been grateful for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Apologies.....wasn't aimed at you but more general response.

This comes up a lot and it boils down to reading between the lines.
    I was having a bad hair day and the thread took a different turn but you made interesting points👍and can imagine this review type threads end up like this.

Spewy

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Good point - what about how smooth twists will change the world......
    Nope, can't recall anyone claiming that.

Next.

So you lot would sooner see a sub par product on the shelves and have folk spend money on it (not everyone reads forums, or the mags and their reviews) and have the mags slate it?
    Put it like this; if you were going to buy a new washing machine, would you prefer to read an unbiased review in 'Which?' magazine, which describes both good and bad points, and compares fairly to other similar products on the market, or a review in 'Washing Machine World', which only offers good reviews about selected products?

(WMW is a made up title, in case of doubt)

Put it like this; if you were going to buy a new washing machine, would you prefer to read an unbiased review in 'Which?' magazine, which describes both good and bad points, and compares fairly to other similar products on the market, or a review in 'Washing Machine World', which only offers good reviews about selected products?

(WMW is a made up title, in case of doubt)
    That isn't what's happening.

I, and others, head off some potential problems before the guns go into production. That's it.

Would you rather we didn't do that and the faults remained in the production guns so we could complain about them?