Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Proper reviews

Quote Originally Posted by banksy! View Post
    Put it like this; if you were going to buy a new washing machine, would you prefer to read an unbiased review in 'Which?' magazine, which describes both good and bad points, and compares fairly to other similar products on the market, or a review in 'Washing Machine World', which only offers good reviews about selected products?

(WMW is a made up title, in case of doubt)
    I'd sooner read a review about a product which is fit for purpose before entering the market in the first case.

It's all a moot point of course, because I wouldn't spend my money on any product based solely on a single review in any magazine. I regard these reviews as a preview, an introduction to what is, or will soon be on the market.

You haven't answered my question though. Would you actually rather see people spending money on a sub par product, or on one where the manufacturers have taken on board points raised by someone actually using it in the field?

Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    You haven't answered my question though. Would you actually rather see people spending money on a sub par product, or on one where the manufacturers have taken on board points raised by someone actually using it in the field?
    I thought I had answered, sort of, but to be clear, reviewing only 'good' products and ignoring the bad ones does not stop bad products coming to market (if this were the case, no-one would be complaining).

Instead, I would prefer to see comprehensive testing and comparison from which customers can make an informed choice. Your way, they are only being informed about half of the market.

Like you, I use reviews as a starting point, but I would prefer to read Tripadvisor or Amazon, even taking into account that some of the reviews will be fake.

The type of review we are discussing reminds me of those awful local magazines, which carry advertisements for a restaurant or whatever, then a few pages later you'll find a sycophantic 'editorial' praising said business. The difference is though, that those magazines are given away free.

Part2
    Reviews no more
    I want a hawke airmax scope and its torture not being able to get one till August 😡
    I don't do waiting well
    Flip side being able to look online at a product that's not out isn't good for blood pressure or as in my case looking at other type scopes

50 metres from the English Channel. Worthing
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Not a clue how that statement is connected to your incorrect use of 'prejudices', Fitz, but I can confirm that the two Audi vehicles I've owned during the past six years have been faultless, superbly comfortable, extremely efficient, and backed by an amazing degree of customer service. So, yes, I most certainly do extoll such virtues. I hope your car serves you as well as my Audi does me.
    Having received many legal correspondences (in my former line of work), some with the preface, 'Without prejudice' that and my OED confirm there is no hyphen between pre and judice so how this in incorrect is somewhat perplexing.

As for your Audi, I'll raise you a Merc, a Porsche and a tasty Heritage Softail Classic.
    Easily led

That would also mean leaving all reviews until the rifles hit the shops, rather than covering the guns as soon as they're ready for release. Not good at all. We get more readers asking about new guns than any other subject and in publishing there's enough lead time to deal with as it is, without only reviewing rifles that are old news by the time we get to them.

Besides, apart from the logistical problems of driving all over the place to buy guns - we could hardly use the same local outlets every time - some would say the guns we bought were specially stocked for us to collect them. No, I think it works best as it is, really.
    OK fair enough, I think we have a different view of Air Rifle reviews.

Thanks for the response.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but should not an airgun review be of a model that is currently available through the retail outlets. Surely the aim of reading a review is to help in making a sensible choice of buying a specific item. Along with other enquiries etc a decision is made and you trot off to your local dealer and buy said rifle.
    If that rifle is currently on sale in the shops it is what it is and is the finished product as released for sale to the public by the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
    Having received many legal correspondences (in my former line of work), some with the preface, 'Without prejudice' that and my OED confirm there is no hyphen between pre and judice so how this in incorrect is somewhat perplexing.

As for your Audi, I'll raise you a Merc, a Porsche and a tasty Heritage Softail Classic.
    Fine cars, all, including the Audi.

My insertion of that hyphen was to better define the parts of the word 'prejudice', see? I'm sure you do.

What was incorrect in your post, was the statement that 'it all comes down to the prejudices of the tester.' It doesn't.

I hope that makes things clearer.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but should not an airgun review be of a model that is currently available through the retail outlets. Surely the aim of reading a review is to help in making a sensible choice of buying a specific item. Along with other enquiries etc a decision is made and you trot off to your local dealer and buy said rifle.
    If that rifle is currently on sale in the shops it is what it is and is the finished product as released for sale to the public by the manufacturer.
    Yes, and once any final changes are made to a pre-release sample, that is what will be available when the new rifle reaches the shops.

Terry d
    If people read your article on the compatto surely they can see what goes into a review on a prototype and your recommendations about cheek piece etc etc
    Seems simple to me to understand
    But I am simple

Still grumpy about hawke new scopes not out till August especially with the hype surrounding them which has worked against them as I'm in scope buying mode now and will look elsewhere
    Spewy

Quote Originally Posted by Spewy View Post
    Terry d
    If people read your article on the compatto surely they can see what goes into a review on a prototype and your recommendations about cheek piece etc etc
    Seems simple to me to understand
    But I am simple
    Bagsy I'm simpler.

Bagsy!

Yes, and once any final changes are made to a pre-release sample, that is what will be available when the new rifle reaches the shops.
    In fairness to Terry, the article usually state first view / look at or preview of new model or the inferrence there of the gun being a pre-production unit