Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW30s Diopter version

HW30s Diopter version

Hi all,
    Not sure if this is the right section to post this but I have lately been thinking of a little rifle for target shooting in the garden.
    I dont want to spend too much and need something self contained so was thiking of trying an HW30s, ideally with the diopter sights fitted.
    My first question is, would you recommend this gun? My second is, would there be a better alternative? And my last is, has anyone got one for sale?
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob.

The general consensus seems to be the HW30S is a very nice little rifle for short range target shooting.

An alternative rifle, if you can find one is an FWB Mod300S Junior is a superb spring powered target rifle.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

hw30

I've got this model and I'm using it in the MPL league.its a good gun and I don't think I could do any better with anything else.
    if you want to try it I'm near cheddar.i bought it from Waffen Shneider and with the euro/sterling rate they are a bargain.
    atb Glyn

Thanks for the replies,
    I would take you up on that Glyn but held one up in Veals yesterday and was really impressed apart from their price of £190 so will try for a used one (may have found an iron sight one on facebook) but if not then one from either Germany or Holland.
    What sights are you using on yours?
    Cheers,
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    Thanks for the replies,
    I would take you up on that Glyn but held one up in Veals yesterday and was really impressed apart from their price of £190 so will try for a used one (may have found an iron sight one on facebook) but if not then one from either Germany or Holland.
    What sights are you using on yours?
    Cheers,
    Rob.
    Hi Rob and Glyn,

Wells-Cheddar..you guys are almost next door neighbours !

It would be good to see you both in the next 6 yard MPL postal competition that starts next month - and you are close enough to share tips with each other to get the best out of your HW 30 rifles.

Let me know what dioptre sights you eventually use as I am sure it will be of great interest to others that would like a good inexpensive ( and light weight) target rifle to shoot or plink with - and hopefully to use them to take part in the 6 yard MPL series too.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

hw30

My HW30 was supplied with a Gamo diopter from waffen sneider in Germany.Have a look at their website.
    I priced up a Gamo compact last night and it works out the same as the UK but in euros!
    I have found their service and prices very good.
    Question for Phil-will the gamo compact be significantly better than my HW40 or would I be better off with a new HW75?
    atb Glyn

I wasnt keen on the Compact when I tried one to tell the truth, I much preferred the 40.
    i was going to buy another 40 last week after regretting selling mine but bought a really nice 75 from Rickenbacker instead and its made me realise I should never of sold my original one a few years back.
    I think my next pistol is going to be a Baikal IZH 46M when one comes up for sale.
    I'll have a look at the diopter one, I also like the look of the luxury version too, unless the facebook one works out. I do like the idea of a low powered German version though.
    Cheers,
    Rob

I had a go with an HW30S at RMTC the other week when IJ brought his new one over to show it off.

It was a superb little rifle that was so easy to pick up and aim and I was really impressed with it - enough to buy one for myself - it arrived this week!

They are lovely lightweight rifles that are very accurate (I got fed-up with IJ ringing the RedBob bell target at 10 metres) and the slightly shorter length is another advantage for me making it a great MPL rifle choice as well.

I think they are an absolute bargain from the previously mentioned German supplier and I was surprised to find how smooth it was straight out of the box.

IJ has a neat little Williams peep sight on his and it suites the rifle really well. He has also given it a dose of his very own "grease blob" tuning and his is even smoother !

I also think one would look really good with an HW diopter fitted to it (or maybe even an Anshutz diopter as fitted to the mk3 Webley Supertarget ) if either could be found at a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

IJ has a neat little Williams peep sight on his and it suites the rifle really well. He has also given it a dose of his very own "grease blob" tuning and his is even smoother !

I also think one would look really good with an HW diopter fitted to it (or maybe even an Anshutz diopter as fitted to the mk3 Webley Supertarget ) if either could be found at a good price.
    As if by magic - http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=41

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I borrowed an old Anshutz dioptre last night and it fitted my HW30S a treat and had plenty of adjustment for 6 yards and 10 meter shooting so that looks like a good choice if a nice used one can be found at a fair price.

There may be lots of other options but with a rifle that only costs a little over £130 new (including delivery) it would be easy to spend more on a "pukka" rear sight than the cost of the rifle is new so I think that a good used example is the way to go.

Williams Anshutz rear sight fro HW30S

IJ was lucky enough to find not only a Williams peep sight but one that seems to be the target version with large tumbler type adjustors for windage and elevation (as opposed to the regular "sport" version that has screw driver adjustment screws).

This is very convenient for making adjustments on the range to allow for differing lighting conditions and perhaps when switching from 6 yard to 10 meters etc but the "sports" version looks even neater without the large tumbler adjusters that look huge on such a tiny rear sight assembly but could be easily knocked in transport if used in the field as opposed to the indoor range.

The flush fitting screw adjustors on the "sports" version are counter sunk and so they don't even stand proud of the main castings making the sight barely any larger than a regular "open" rear sight.

Both have the tiny little screw-in peep dioptre that can be found with different sized pin holes but IJ has found a genuine Anshutz adjustable rear dioptre that has the small sized screw thread that fits onto the Williams peep sight casting.

That combination looks really neat and is probably the ultimate rear sight/dioptre combination for use on the HW30S as it is so small ( to suit the rifle) and yet has easy to use tumbler adjustors and a regular sized ( and adjustable) Anshutz read deport.

I would imagine this combination would be very hard to find again so maybe IJ has a unique HW30S Williams combination?

........it certainly looks neat
    Last edited by zooma; 26-10-2015 at 10:37 PM.

I was given a very nice left handed Anshutz diopter rear sight that I now have fitted on this superb little rifle.

The example I was given ( thanks Robin) is a left handed type ( it has all of the knobs on the opposite sides) but this has made no difference in use and works very well indeed.

The supplied metal elements to fit the front sight were not big enough for my preference so I fitted a perspex front element of a larger size - and had a spare one to give to IJ too- so now both rifles are equipped with them.

IJ turned up at the RMTC club clutching his bag of tools and magic potions (grease) and tuning option parts (washers and small springs) and supervised while I stripped my new HW30S and (with his guidance) applied the patented IJ "Grease Blob Tuning" to my new toy.

I have to admit the rifle is even better now - much smoother to cock and to shoot with an even better trigger.

Thanks for the help and the guidance Ian - what was a very impressive little rifle is now even better after taking the IJ self improvement course and I really enjoyed doing it too !

The rifle is very accurate from a fixed rest with Meisterkugeln and R10 pellets - so now all I have to do it learn to shoot it better

I zeroed my HW30S on Sunday using the combination of Bobs perspex front sight element and Williams Sports peep sight on our Bell Target range because the clubs winter series of 'belling' begins this Thurs. This is a Fun Only event, no trophies/prizes and the rules change depending on who/what is shooting. It makes a pleasant change from the serious FT/HFT events and 10m pistol/rifle postal compts. This event is sponsored by 'Kleenex' and the bucket ready for the spat dummies.
    We had a visitor up to the club last Weds who was using a HW30S and, from what I guessed, one of those Gammo type rear peep sights. At 10m he couldn't get the point of impact low enough.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 27-10-2015 at 09:52 AM.

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I zeroed my HW30S on Sunday using the combination of Bobs perspex front sight element and Williams Sports peep sight on our Bell Target range because the clubs winter series of 'belling' begins this Thurs. This is a Fun Only event, no trophies/prizes and the rules change depending on who/what is shooting. It makes a pleasant change from the serious FT/HFT events and 10m pistol/rifle postal compts. This event is sponsored by 'Kleenex' and the bucket ready for the spat dummies.
    We had a visitor up to the club last Weds who was using a HW30S and, from what I guessed, one of those Gammo type rear peep sights. At 10m he couldn't get the point of impact low enough.

ATB
    Ian
    That would be Kieran from BOAC ? he said he was coming over to you !! He was shooting at ours last week and it was a fair way out on the elevation. ..
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

Kieran. That is he!